• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Buyers back out of an ‘AS IS’ Residential Contract for Sale And Purchase (1 Viewer)

Trippy Trekker

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
$313,000 Sale Price. $5000 credit toward closing costs. 2.5% Commission ($7,825) to Buyers’ Agent. Sellers agree to pay ‘Owner’s Title Insurance’. Buyers made a timely $5000 initial Earnest Money Deposit with a title company and agreed to pursue an 80% loan. 55+ age requirement. 32unit building built in 1969 in the Tampa Bay Area, FL. 2BR/2B 1300 sqft condo, recently remodeled. Buyers and Sellers went into contract Saturday April 6, 2024. Closing set for on/before Friday May 10, 2024.

Buyers hired an Inspector and accepted the property in it’s ‘AS IS’ condition.
Subject Property underwent an Appraisal satisfactory to the Buyers’ chosen Lender.

Deal hits a snag on Day18 (Wednesday). Buyers’ Agent notifies Sellers a Condominium Project Questionnaire (Fannie Mae Form 1076) became a point of contention and needed clarification for the loan process to move forward. Sellers discussed the issue later that same day separately with the Loan Agent and with the Condo Board President. The Board President concludes the management company completed the Form 1076 without authorization and with gross inaccuracies.

Day19 (Thursday), the Board President spoke to the Loan Agent by phone. Sellers routinely updated the Buyers’ Agent.

Day20 (Friday), Board President emailed the Loan Agent requesting an opportunity to resubmit an accurate and authorized Form 1076.

Day23 (Monday), Loan Agent emailed the Board President a new Form 1076. Again, Sellers continue to update the Buyers Agent.

Day24 (Tuesday), Buyers Agent called Sellers stating Buyers changed their minds. Buyers request in writing Sellers sign a ‘Release and Cancellation of Contract’. Sellers refuse. Obviously Buyers want the entire $5000 Earnest Money Deposit refunded. Sellers contend the Contract requires the Buyers to complete the Loan Approval Process, specifically, the Contract states, “Buyer’s failure to use good faith and diligent effort to obtain a Loan Approval during the Loan Approval Period shall be considered a default under the terms of this Contract.” Also, the Board President, later that same day, resubmitted by email the corrected Form 1076.

Day25 (Wednesday), Sellers, in advance of leaving town on vacation the next day, sign all the closing documents in the morning at the title company. That afternoon, the Closing Agent for the title company receives an email from the Loan Agent formally rejecting the Buyers loan application. Again, Sellers refuse to sign a ‘Release’. Sellers contend nothing absolves the Buyers from their Bad Faith attempt to withdraw from the contract prematurely. The Buyers, in the opinion of the Sellers, used an obscure lender (Embrace Home Loans out of Rhode Island).

Sellers requested a face-to-face meeting with the Buyers to negotiate a settlement. Sellers would have offered to split the $5000 Earnest Money Deposit 50/50. Buyers refused to negotiate.

Day40 (Thursday May 16, 2024), Sellers file a $5000 (plus court costs) Pro Se Small Claim with the County Clerk. $320 filing fee + $104 Service Process fee (two out-of-county defendants). By the next day, the Clerk already issued a case # and a Pre-trial Conference date (June 12th).

How do you think this plays out? Do you think the Buyers signal a desire to settle? Sellers stood to bank $293,668 on the deal. If it goes all the way to the hearing officer, how do you expect the hearing officer to rule?

What other information do you need to render an opinion?

Disclosure: I own an independent real estate company. In the past 40+ years, I have only filed one other real estate-related Small Claims. In that case, I represented twoIMG_3927.jpeg young buyers. I sued for commission after the Seller-Agent backed out of the deal. The lawsuit induced the Seller-Agent to reconsider. We closed the deal!

I'm not knowledgeable on such contracts but it is my understanding that if the buyer puts up earnest money to demonstrate they are serious, and they fail to buy without just cause, they forfeit the earnest money for taking the property off the market for a time.

I'm not knowledgeable on such contracts but it is my understanding that if the buyer puts up earnest money to demonstrate they are serious, and they fail to buy without just cause, they forfeit the earnest money for taking the property off the market for a time.

That’s true in Texas. It happened to me. Or at least, the people who put down earnest money to buy my house. 4 days before closing, they backed out. Really screwed things up since we had earnest money on another house we were going close on the same day.

It all turned out okay. We immediately got another offer and the owners of the home we were going to buy agreed to wait. We returned the money even though it wasn’t required.

Buyers’ real estate attorney, not the Buyers, attended today’s Pre-Trial Conference Zoom Meeting. We settled.

Short version: Barring the settlement, we would have had to hire a real estate attorney. Too many nuanced questions of law to face off with an experienced real estate attorney. The two lawyers (one for each side at about $400/hour each attorney) would have gobbled up the $5000 in escrow. We would have had to pin our hopes on a future judgment that included attorney fees. Then collecting said judgment would have become a complicated process, maybe taking years to resolve/collect. NO THANKS!

We agreed to take $1000; Buyers’ to reclaim $4000 of their $5000 deposit. Pretty sure their attorney charged them $1000. Final analysis: $1000 from escrow minus $424 court costs (filing fee + service process). We netted $676. Buyers paid out $1000 to us and $1000 to their attorney. It cost them $2000 of the earnest money deposit + home inspection fee + appraisal fee. Their real estate agent made nada. Their loan agent made nada.

One technical point Buyers’ attorney made (interpreting the Dispute Resolution Section 16 of the contract): we asserted, “Injunctive relief may be sought without first complying with Paragraph 16(b)” meant we could move right into litigation once the Buyers refused to meet face-to-face to negotiate a settlement. Our Small Claim included Mediation. Buyers attorney said we needed to pursue the Mediation with a professional mediator before filing our lawsuit. The settlement today included a court-provided certified Mediator/Lawyer at no extra cost. Shrug! Don’t know what a judge would have decided.

Case settled. Moving on! Got at least a half dozen real estate irons in the fire 🔥 right now.

Section 16 attached:

IMG_1402.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom