• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bush calls on Congress to tone down 'harsh rhetoric' about immigration

CaughtInThe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

"I do want to say to Congress, please put aside all of the harsh rhetoric about immigration, please put aside trying to score political points on either side. I hope I can help set a tone that is more respectful about the immigrant, which may lead to reform of the system," Bush told Norah O'Donnell on "CBS Sunday Morning."

He acknowledged Sunday one of the biggest disappointments of his presidency is that he did not pass any meaningful reform on the issue. Bush also said he is currently lobbying the Republican Party to act on creating a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants, if they can pass a background check and pay back taxes but did not seem hopeful that his party will agree."

i'm okay with turning down the anger.

Now that he has asked for it, I am sure the more hard core of the GOP will up the anger even more, because once their bad guy wants something, they have to oppose it reflexively.

"I do want to say to Congress, please put aside all of the harsh rhetoric about immigration, please put aside trying to score political points on either side. I hope I can help set a tone that is more respectful about the immigrant, which may lead to reform of the system," Bush told Norah O'Donnell on "CBS Sunday Morning."

He acknowledged Sunday one of the biggest disappointments of his presidency is that he did not pass any meaningful reform on the issue. Bush also said he is currently lobbying the Republican Party to act on creating a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants, if they can pass a background check and pay back taxes but did not seem hopeful that his party will agree."

The left despised Bush when he was in office. But when he says something that pushes their agenda, these hypocrites love him all the sudden.

GWB never said anything offensive towards any immigrant groups. My parents liked him and actually voted for him. I remember when he was president. I remember he called for calm after 9 11 and was careful to not attack Islam. His policies coming out of that event were not good, but I can honestly say he did not attack Muslims or Latin people. I remember talking to Republican voters, and they thought differently than GWB. I am not surprised the GOP is where it is today. It’s not because of leaders like GWB. This was always part of the base. I remember it.

Now that he has asked for it, I am sure the more hard core of the GOP will up the anger even more, because once their bad guy wants something, they have to oppose it reflexively.
I remember a lot of Latin people supported GWB and the Republican Party back then. The Trump flag stands anti immigration and sedition. GWB’s rhetoric never came close to the stuff we see today.

The left despised Bush when he was in office. But when he says something that pushes their agenda, these hypocrites love him all the sudden.
I know it is might be hard to understand if one is a follower of a cult, but someone can agree with something someone says and not "love" them.

I know it is might be hard to understand if one is a follower of a cult, but someone can agree with something someone says and not "love" them.
Tell me again how the majority can be a cult.

I appreciate Bush's sentiment, it simple common decency. But the Anglo-Saxon Caucus sees percentages in attacking immigrants.

Majority of what? And anyway, why couldn't a majority be a cult?
Definition of cult
a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

So that would be more in line with the left than it would be the 80 million Trump supporters.

There was a time when these people could have mattered re: the rise of Trumpism.

What happened next is strange. But it seems none of them did much of anything until it did not matter to a political career. There's that. 🤷

I am sure the more hard core of the GOP will up the anger even more

LOL, obviously. Thing is, all that is left of the GOp is hard core.

All the normal folks have fled the party.

Definition of cult
a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

So that would be more in line with the left than it would be the 80 million Trump supporters.

Its 80 million now? Its grown from the 72 million he got in the last election, which, either way, is not the majority.

Why the dishonesty about it?

Beyond that, "relatively small" is but one of a number of definitions, which include:

"1A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
1.2A misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.
‘a cult of personality surrounding the leaders’"

I remember a lot of Latin people supported GWB and the Republican Party back then. The Trump flag stands anti immigration and sedition. GWB’s rhetoric never came close to the stuff we see today.
Please. It's easy t find video of even clinton and obama speaking tough on immigration back before they got "woke".

Please. It's easy t find video of even clinton and obama speaking tough on immigration back before they got "woke".
Not tough enough according to the Trump base. We saw children die in camps and families split apart, and Trump supporters showed zero compassion. It was a bunch of, “well, they should not have came here and they deserve it.”

Not tough enough according to the Trump base. We saw children die in camps and families split apart, and Trump supporters showed zero compassion. It was a bunch of, “well, they should not have came here and they deserve it.”
True or not is not relevant to my point.

True or not is not relevant to my point.
Yes it is. Nobody before Trump started a campaign by saying Mexico is sending rapists, promised mass deportations and a Muslim ban. He was the most brutal person towards those groups, and that was the point. That's why the base loved him.

U
Its 80 million now? Its grown from the 72 million he got in the last election, which, either way, is not the majority.

Why the dishonesty about it?

Beyond that, "relatively small" is but one of a number of definitions, which include:

"1A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
1.2A misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.
‘a cult of personality surrounding the leaders’"
Millions of votes for Trump were deleted.

I liked Bush well enough, voted for him twice. I don't agree with his dealings along the border. I think his position is based upon his family and his texas roots but the hispanic influence in his family is strong. Nothing wrong with that influence, I have a strong hispanic influence in my own. I'm just partial to doing things by the law and following existing laws instead of circumventing the law. If you don't like the law, change it in the Congress. Both parties have had multiple opportunities to change existing law and haven't bothered. My belief is it's more about a political football to keep kicking around than doing a good job. Illegal immigration is against the law, granting amnesty, citizenshhip to illegals doesn't sit very well with millions of Americans and a good number of those being naturalized Ameiricans who came into the country via established immigration law. I just don't have a lot of sympathy for granting amnesty to those who entered illegally. I'm open to discussion but if I made the decision it would take some time to acquire said amnesty for citizenship. Years in the making and requirements of speaking and readin english at a profiecient level as well as passing a US history and govenment basic exam. These basics make you an American citizen who understands our history and how our govenment works. I have naturalized citizens as friends and they will tell you it's one of the most proud accomplishments of their life.

Yes it is. Nobody before Trump started a campaign by saying Mexico is sending rapists, promised mass deportations and a Muslim ban. He was the most brutal person towards those groups, and that was the point. That's why the base loved him.
So explain how that is relevant to my point.

What reason should we provide a path to citizenship for illegal aliens? What benefit does that provide?

Bush lied about the Iraq War and I got our troops killed for nothing. I hate that guy. I do believe Gore won the 2000 election too.

That’s why his brother Jeb who likes to employ illegals to clean his toilet was steamrolled by Trump. LMAO

Bush lied about the Iraq War and I got our troops killed for nothing. I hate that guy. I do believe Gore won the 2000 election too.
Neat. Gore lol. Oh, do you have any issue with Obama sending mega $$$ to Iran? Was that some kind incentive for them to continue building IED’s to cut the legs off our troops in Iraq? This is fact unlike the bounty garbage.

Back
Top Bottom