• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Brown now accepts greater share of blame

scottyz

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Former FEMA Director Michael Brown on Wednesday accepted a greater share of the blame for the government's failures after Hurricane Katrina, saying he fell short in conveying the magnitude of the disaster and calling for help.

"I should have asked for the military sooner. I should have demanded the military sooner," Brown told a gathering of meteorologists at a ski resort in the Sierra Nevada.

"It was beyond the capacity of the state and local governments, and it was beyond the capacity of FEMA," said Brown, former head of the
Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Brown's remarks Wednesday stood in contrast to his testimony at a congressional hearing in September, when he blamed most of the government's failures on Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco and New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin — both Democrats.

He specifically targeted them for failing to evacuate New Orleans, restore order and improve communication.

"These are not FEMA roles," Brown told the congressional committee. "FEMA doesn't evacuate communities. FEMA does not do law enforcement. FEMA does not do communications."

He also told the gathering of broadcast and
National Weather Service meteorologists that he failed to delegate responsibility, saying he tried to attend to the details himself.

"It was the largest natural disaster ever to strike the United States — 92,000 square miles. Logistics were falling apart," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060119/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/fema_brown

I'm sure it's no coincidence that Brown waited till the Katrina disaster was mostly forgotten by the public to make these statements. I still wonder why the hell this guy was put in charge of FEMA in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom