• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

British Study Says Premature Babies Feel Pain

FutureIncoming said:
Only if the right exists. But so far you have utterly failed to offer any rationale showing that it has such a right. When do you plan to offer some supporting facts and logic, instead of repeating the stupidity of making unsupported/worthless claims? Do you remember this?

People have a right to live.

So you agree with killing people who are deaf dumb and blind?

FutureIncoming said:
Therefore you need to pay attention to the following sequence:
(1) There originally wasn't any life form that existed with a Right to Life.
(2) Humans came along and arbitrarily created the notion for themselves, for their own selfish purposes.
(3) At some point some humans arbitrarily decided to try to extend their arbitrary claim of a Right to Life to unborn humans.
(4) The attempt was swatted down in court.

See "(1)" above. And you have failed to specify what law was passed to take away a right that fetuses never had in the first place, as was requested in the quote below.

And you have failed to specify that a foetus never had a right in the first place.

FutureIncoming said:
No, because of "(1)" specified above. The law that got cancelled was a law that attempted to defy Nature, and create an arbitrary right where none previously existed, and where it did not need to exist.

So, why don't you tell us, using facts and logic instead of opinion, why a fetus needs to have a right to life?

For the same reason you need a right to life.

jimmyjack said:
You're working from a false premise by assuming there is a 1)need or a 2)right.

shuamort said:
You're working from a false premise by assuming there is a 1)need or a 2)right.

Are you saying there is no need for us to exist?

jimmyjack said:
Not according to Nature. Only according to people. Do you understand the difference between the Objective and the Subjective?
jimmyjack said:
So you agree with killing people who are deaf dumb and blind?
And what did I write lead you to that stupid conclusion? A person is defined by having certain mental abilities, and that fact is not one whit diminished if there is a lack of physical ablities such as hearing or speech or sight. Since a human fetus does not have person-class mental abilities, it cannot possibly qualify as a person, as explained here:
FutureIncoming said:
Fact: The English language allows nonhumans to qualify as people. The word is even generic enough that the physical nature of a person is irrelevant. Fiction has introduced persons having "bodies" ranging from ectoplasm to subatomic particles to electricity to gaseous to liquid to jelly to solid to electronic/mechanical, to various combinations thereof (a cyborg can be a person).
Logic: Because of the wide range of possible types of persons, it is impossible to associate personhood with a fixed set of physical characteristics. Thus it is mental characteristics that distinguish persons from non-persons.
Fact: An unborn human is inherently unable to exhibit any of the mental characteristics that serve to identify persons.
Logical conclusion: Although abortion kills an unborn human, {{it doesn't matter since it is not a person}}.
You have still failed to offer any facts or logic which invalidates that.
FutureIncoming said:
There is no such thing as a "Right To Life" in Nature. Plants try to grow to shade each other to death; animals eat plants, killing them reasonably often; some animals eat other animals; bacteria consume anything with a defective immune system, and the single biggest thing that keeps bacteria from concentrating on defeating the immune systems of multicellular life is the viruses. Then there are earthquakes, volcanoes, tornadoes, tsunamis, Ice Ages, giant meteors, nearby supernovae, and so on, for a long long long list of ways in which Nature doesn't care one whit whether or not ANY life survives, including human life. So, why should humans go out of their way to respect life? Obviously it would be stupid to think we can go on destroying life in the manner currently being done all over the planet (the seas are becoming empty of fish; the forests are being slashed vastly faster than they can regrow, and so on). But why should we adopt a philosophy in which life is sacred? Nature doesn't care! Using the stuff of life is convenient (like cutting trees to make your house). We do with life what we will, because we have Free Will! I agree that we should respect it to the extent that we needn't stupidly waste/kill it off when later on (like when you sell a tool at a yard sale, and find you need it a month later), we might need it as a source of medicines. Not to mention that we need plants to make oxygen for us to breathe. Respecting life to the extent that we have a sustainable supply of it for our needs is fine. That does not mean abortions should be prohibited. This planet could use fewer humans on it, not more, who kill other life-forms to fulfill selfish human desires. While a "Right to Life" is an important political principle, it needs to be tempered with Scientific Fact, such as the preceding. I recognize that the political principle exists so that people can get along with each other better. But isn't it obvious that you have to be able to understand the "Right to Life" principle before you can act in accordance with it? And isn't it equally factual that unborn humans don't have the brainpower to understand any such thing? So, if they cannot apply it, why should it be applied to them?
FutureIncoming said:
Therefore you need to pay attention to the following sequence:
(1) There originally wasn't any life form that existed with a Right to Life.
(2) Humans came along and arbitrarily created the notion for themselves, for their own selfish purposes.
(3) At some point some humans arbitrarily decided to try to extend their arbitrary claim of a Right to Life to unborn humans.
(4) The attempt was swatted down in court.
jimmyjack said:
And you have failed to specify that a foetus never had a right in the first place.
UTTERLY FALSE. See "(1)" quoted/stressed above. When will you stop saying things so easily proved to be stupid lies?
FutureIncoming said:
So, why don't you tell us, using facts and logic instead of opinion, why a fetus needs to have a right to life?
jimmyjack said:
You are grasping at straws. Try again. Your statement could be applied to spiders, weeds, lice, rats, etc., as well as to fetuses, yet I doubt you would be willing to actually apply your statement to spiders, weeds, lice, rats, etc (that they need a right to life for the same reason you or I do). And so you have failed to indicate why human fetuses specifically need a right to life, while all other equivalently mindless organisms don't. Do remember that humans claimed a right to life for themselves because they could. But no spider nor weed nor louse nor rat nor fetus can... So, for those who can claim a right to life, to hand it out to a human fetus that cannot claim it for itself, is to exhibit unexplained favoritism over other organisms that cannot claim right-to-life for themselves, such as spiders, weeds, lice, rats, etc. Would you care to explain that favoritism in Objective terms, such that prejudice or hypocrisy are not involved?

jimmyjack said:
Exactly. If you feel that is incorrect, please show where that need is.

jimmyjack said:
Well, can you specify some Objective, not Subjective reason why there might be some sort of need for us to exist? After all, if you cannot provide a reason for a need, then how can you or anyone else say there is a need?

FutureIncoming said:
Not according to Nature. Only according to people. Do you understand the difference between the Objective and the Subjective?

Are you joking? It is nature that provides life.

FutureIncoming said:
And what did I write lead you to that stupid conclusion? A person is defined by having certain mental abilities, and that fact is not one whit diminished if there is a lack of physical ablities such as hearing or speech or sight. Since a human fetus does not have person-class mental abilities, it cannot possibly qualify as a person, as explained here:

FutureIncoming: “But isn't it obvious that you have to be able to understand the "Right to Life" principle before you can act in accordance with it? And isn't it equally factual that unborn humans don't have the brainpower to understand any such thing? So, if they cannot apply it, why should it be applied to them?”

FutureIncoming said:
You have still failed to offer any facts or logic which invalidates that.

What proof do you have that a foetus is not a person?

FutureIncoming said:
UTTERLY FALSE. See "(1)" quoted/stressed above. When will you stop saying things so easily proved to be stupid lies?

Show me where it says a foetus does not have a right to live.

FutureIncoming said:
You are grasping at straws. Try again. Your statement could be applied to spiders, weeds, lice, rats, etc., as well as to fetuses, yet I doubt you would be willing to actually apply your statement to spiders, weeds, lice, rats, etc (that they need a right to life for the same reason you or I do). And so you have failed to indicate why human fetuses specifically need a right to life, while all other equivalently mindless organisms don't. Do remember that humans claimed a right to life for themselves because they could. But no spider nor weed nor louse nor rat nor fetus can... So, for those who can claim a right to life, to hand it out to a human fetus that cannot claim it for itself, is to exhibit unexplained favoritism over other organisms that cannot claim right-to-life for themselves, such as spiders, weeds, lice, rats, etc. Would you care to explain that favoritism in Objective terms, such that prejudice or hypocrisy are not involved?

You where: a foetus, you where never: a spider.

Foetuses are what we are; we are not spiders or weeds.

You said we invented a right to life for ourselves, and we are foetuses.

“Ourselves” include: the old, the young, the healthy, the ill, the unborn, the clever, the blind...

We are not: other species, such as weeds, spiders...

shuamort said:

So why did you bother commenting?

All your comments must be pointless.

jimmyjack said:
You have yet to prove anyone has a need to live. You're claiming there is such a need, you'll have to back it up. As this below is needless handwaving while you're attempting to avoid the subject:

jimmyjack said:
So why did you bother commenting?

All your comments must be pointless.

shuamort said:
You have yet to prove anyone has a need to live. You're claiming there is such a need, you'll have to back it up. As this below is needless handwaving while you're attempting to avoid the subject:

Why are you still commenting?

jimmyjack said:
Why are you still commenting?
I'm not commenting, I'm debating. Feel free to debate by supporting your claims, if you think you can. It's becoming more and more transparent that you can't since you're not supporting your own claims.

shuamort said:
I'm not commenting, I'm debating. Feel free to debate by supporting your claims, if you think you can. It's becoming more and more transparent that you can't since you're not supporting your own claims.

Why are you doing it though?

jimmyjack said:
Why are you doing it though?
Because it's fun and easy. I've been debating for quite sometime. Thanks for asking :2wave:

Now back to your claim, please show us all where there is a "need to exist".

shuamort said:
Because it's fun and easy. I've been debating for quite sometime. Thanks for asking :2wave:

Why did you bother telling me it is fun and easy?

jimmyjack said:
Why did you bother telling me it is fun and easy?
Why didn't you quote my whole post? You're avoiding the direct question. Please answer the question that's been prompted of you over and over.

shuamort said:
Why didn't you quote my whole post? You're avoiding the direct question. Please answer the question that's been prompted of you over and over.

Because: apparently there is no point in answering it.

Now, why did you bother telling me it is fun and easy?

jimmyjack said:
Because: apparently there is no point in answering it.
Sure there is. It's how you're buttressing your claims here. Unless you're just being a troll which would be a bannable offense of course.

jimmyjack said:
Now, why did you bother telling me it is fun and easy?
Debating? Because you asked.

jimmyjack said:
FutureIncoming said:
jimmyjack said:
Are you joking? It is nature that provides life.
I am not joking at all. Yes, Nature provides life freely --and Nature exterminates it just as freely. A Global Warming episode about 250 million years ago, possibly triggered by a combination of giant meteor impact in what is now Antarctica, and massive lava outflows in what is now Siberia
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/12/13/MNGPRAB3QC1.DTL
http://www.nineplanets.org/mercury.html (read about the Caloris Basin and "weird terrain" to see how a big-enough impact on one side of a planet can mess up the other side) killed 90% of all marine species and 70% of all land species on Earth. A "Right to Life", however, is generally accepted as meaning something like, "it may not be freely exterminated". Well, since Nature pays no attention to that definition, it logically follows that there is indeed no such thing as a Right to Life in Nature. And therefore no human nor human fetus was given a Right to Life by Nature, a statement that answers this:
jimmyjack said:
See above.
jimmyjack said:
What proof do you have that a foetus is not a person?
This has already been answered several times, but you have apparently been stupidly ignoring it. Why don't you try reading instead of ignoring?
FutureIncoming said:
A person is defined by having certain mental abilities, and that fact is not one whit diminished if there is a lack of physical ablities such as hearing or speech or sight. Since a human fetus does not have person-class mental abilities, it cannot possibly qualify as a person, as explained here:
FutureIncoming said:
Fact: The English language allows nonhumans to qualify as people. The word is even generic enough that the physical nature of a person is irrelevant. Fiction has introduced persons having "bodies" ranging from ectoplasm to subatomic particles to electricity to gaseous to liquid to jelly to solid to electronic/mechanical, to various combinations thereof (a cyborg can be a person).
Logic: Because of the wide range of possible types of persons, it is impossible to associate personhood with a fixed set of physical characteristics. Thus it is mental characteristics that distinguish persons from non-persons.
Fact: An unborn human is inherently unable to exhibit any of the mental characteristics that serve to identify persons.
Logical conclusion: Although abortion kills an unborn human, {{it doesn't matter since it is not a person}}.
ALSO:
FutureIncoming said:
isn't it obvious that you have to be able to understand the "Right to Life" principle before you can act in accordance with it? And isn't it equally factual that unborn humans don't have the brainpower to understand any such thing? {{This is exactly what I meant by saying that persons must have brainpower.}} So, if they {{nonpersons}} cannot apply it, why should it be applied to them?”
You have still failed to offer any facts or logic which invalidates that. If you could possibly succeed at it, and thereby offer a rationale that a human fetus might be a person, I expect you would have done so already. But instead offering any Objective facts or logic, all you have done is stupidly ask the same questions over and over again, even after the questions have been answered. That is not debating; that is blathering.
FutureIncoming said:
jimmyjack said:
FutureIncoming said:
jimmyjack said:
You where: a foetus, you where never: a spider.
Irrelevant and actually somewhat wrong. What I am now, a person, is not what my originally mindless animal body once was, a non-person. No person of any sort is his or her or its body. Your statement is irrelevant because it wrongly assumes that the person is the body. REMEMBER:
FutureIncoming said:
it is impossible to associate personhood with a fixed set of physical characteristics. Thus it is mental characteristics that distinguish persons from non-persons.
And remember this, too: You and I and every other human walking the Earth is here in spite of all abortions ever performed, and the biosphere is staggering because of the sheer numbers of humans. Once upon a time abortion was frowned-upon because there was a need to do everything possible to perpetuate the species, but those days have passed. and indeed times have changed so much that abortion is now a useful tool for perpetuating most of humanity, by preventing a Malthusian Catastrophe that would wipe out 99% of us....
jimmyjack said:
Foetuses are what we are;
RIDICULOUSLY FALSE. Do you have an attached umbilical cord, and do you float in amniotic fluid?
jimmyjack said:
we are not spiders or weeds.
My, my, an actually true statement from jimmyjack. What of it? Just because we are human and spiders and weeds are not, that is your excuse for claiming that spiders and weeds don't deserve a Right to Life? Tsk, tsk! REMEMBER:
FutureIncoming said:
Would you care to explain that favoritism in Objective terms, such that prejudice or hypocrisy are not involved?
You are failing to do what I asked. That's why I called your feeble effort "grasping at straws".
jimmyjack said:
You said we invented a right to life for ourselves,
True!
jimmyjack said:
and we are foetuses.
Tsk, tsk. Repeating such a totally obvious falsehood just makes you look stupid. Are you ever going to stop doing that to yourself?
jimmyjack said:
“Ourselves” include: the old, the young, the healthy, the ill, the unborn, the clever, the blind...
NOT QUITE. "Ourselves" include persons. "Self" is another word for "person", don't you know? And so, to have a "self" is to have person-class brainpower. So while, "ourselves" does include the old, the young (to a limit), the healthy, the ill, the clever, and the blind --but unborn fetuses are still excluded.
jimmyjack said:
We are not: other species, such as weeds, spiders...
That's true, but it still doesn't explain why mindless human fetuses need a right to life while those equally mindless other species don't.

shuamort said:
Sure there is. It's how you're buttressing your claims here. Unless you're just being a troll which would be a bannable offense of course.

Debating? Because you asked.

If there is no point to us existing, why are you here discussing it with me?

That is a fair question.

jimmyjack said:
If there is no point to us existing, why are you here discussing it with me?
First off, I NEVER claimed that there was no point to us existing or not. That's a new argument. Secondly, we're talking about NEED. You're the one who claimed need. Please stay on task and answer the question.

jimmyjack said:
That is a fair question.
No, it's an irrelevent one as you're trying to shift the onus of the argument on me. You're the one claiming the need for life, you're the one who has to support that claim or back down and admit you're wrong. Your choice.

shuamort said:
First off, I NEVER claimed that there was no point to us existing or not. That's a new argument. Secondly, we're talking about NEED. You're the one who claimed need. Please stay on task and answer the question.

No, it's an irrelevent one as you're trying to shift the onus of the argument on me. You're the one claiming the need for life, you're the one who has to support that claim or back down and admit you're wrong. Your choice.

If there is no need to exist, there is no need for any of your comments, is there?

jimmyjack said:
If there is no need to exist, there is no need for any of your comments, is there?
Once again, that's not my argument. Please stop trolling and answer the question.

shuamort said:
Once again, that's not my argument. Please stop trolling and answer the question.

Yes it is, now swallow your pride.

jimmyjack said:
shuamort said:
jimmyjack said:
Nor is there any need for your blathering, to say nothing of any need to prevent abortions. So, why don't you answer the implied question, regarding what evidence you have to support your apparent claim that humans need to exist?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom