• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Breyer makes it official: He’s leaving the Supreme Court on Thursday at noon

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
CNN

Justice Stephen Breyer has notified the White House that his retirement will be effective Thursday, June 30, at noon ET.

In a letter to President Joe Biden, Breyer said it had been his “great honor” to participate as a judge in the “effort to maintain our Constitution and the Rule of Law.”

He said that Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson is prepared to “take the prescribed oaths” to begin her service as the 116th member of the court.

--

Justice Breyer makes it official . . .

If SCOTUS had a retirement age of 65 we'd have a constant turnover on the court, which I am in favor of. People dying in their Judge's robes is no way to run a country.

If SCOTUS had a retirement age of 65 we'd have a constant turnover on the court, which I am in favor of. People dying in their Judge's robes is no way to run a country.

Our mandatory retirement age is 75 which I think is reasonable. Life terms is dangerous in my view.

Justices should be term limited. 15-20 years is plenty, with no allowance for renomination.

He doesn’t like the disrespect being shown to the court.

He’s cutting bait.

It seems that Justice Stephen Breyer was pushed out? Hope his retirement is peaceful and relaxing.

Justices should be term limited. 15-20 years is plenty, with no allowance for renomination.
I've always like the idea of lifetime appointments just for the fact that I don't ever want a SC justice to rule a certain way to try to get re-elected to their position. But a 20 yr term would do the same plus it allows for presidents to pick anyone whos qualified, not just the youngest. You are likely to be able to squeeze out 20 years of anyone 60 and under. Right now it seems like in order to be nominated you need to be 50 or under.

He doesn’t like the disrespect being shown to the court.

He’s cutting bait.

It seems that Justice Stephen Breyer was pushed out? Hope his retirement is peaceful and relaxing.
What are you talking about? He announced he would be retiring months ago. His replacement has already been approved by the Senate.

Our mandatory retirement age is 75 which I think is reasonable. Life terms is dangerous in my view.
I think it’s somewhat rare for a SCOTUS justice to die on the bench. They usually retire. But then I look at somebody like Senator Feinstein who is 89 years old, showing severe signs of dementia, yet still allowed to occupy a national public office, committee seats, and cast votes in the Senate and I have concerns. Some Justice someday could completely lose their mind and say they’re not going anywhere and there isn’t really a mechanism to get rid of them.

Frankly, since his replacement is already approved I would have thought this would come sooner than later.

And that Jackson woman, or whatever she is (I'm not a biologist) takes his place. A disaster in waiting.
Hey, what happened to Garland? Apparently Biden didn't think he was owed a shot, any more than McConnell did.

And that Jackson woman, or whatever she is (I'm not a biologist) takes his place. A disaster in waiting.
Hey, what happened to Garland? Apparently Biden didn't think he was owed a shot, any more than McConnell did.

Garland is the US Attorney General. Breyer is going to be the new Devils goalie.

That is how the game is played
The highly anticipated decision was met with a collective sigh of relief by Democrats, who feared the possibility of losing the seat to a future Republican president should the 83-year-old jurist ignore an intense pressure campaign from the left, which urged him to leave the court while Biden had a clear path to replace him.

Back
Top Bottom