• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BP latest oil leak fix

ricksfolly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
BP has a clear video that shows the LMRP cap, attached to the end of a mile long new riser, being dropped from the drill ship down to the BOP unit on the sea floor, and the recovered oil now being piped up to the drill ship.

The oil from the BOP is not actually being capped. It's just being diverted up to the drill ship.

Two problems here. The drill ship doesn't have enough storage to collect all the oil, and if an emergency forces the drill ship to move, The mile long unsupported riser pipe will collapse the same way it did before.

ricksfolly

BP has a clear video that shows the LMRP cap, attached to the end of a mile long new riser, being dropped from the drill ship down to the BOP unit on the sea floor, and the recovered oil now being piped up to the drill ship.

The oil from the BOP is not actually being capped. It's just being diverted up to the drill ship.

Two problems here. The drill ship doesn't have enough storage to collect all the oil, and if an emergency forces the drill ship to move, The mile long unsupported riser pipe will collapse the same way it did before.

ricksfolly

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

They are people not magicians, what do expect them to do?
At least they are attempting to do something to help fix it temporarily.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

They are people not magicians, what do expect them to do?
At least they are attempting to do something to help fix it temporarily.

They killed any kind of perm fix when they cut the riser down to the BOP base. My suggestion to crimp (squeeze) the steel riser flat by modifying the huge shears, didn't filter down to the engineers in charge.

ricksfolly

They killed any kind of perm fix when they cut the riser down to the BOP base. My suggestion to crimp (squeeze) the steel riser flat by modifying the huge shears, didn't filter down to the engineers in charge.

ricksfolly

What they are doing is kinda what I had thought of as a way to get most or some of the leak under control.
If the device fails because of the ship having to move, it can be done again.

What they are doing is kinda what I had thought of as a way to get most or some of the leak under control.
If the device fails because of the ship having to move, it can be done again.

I don't think so. The mile long riser's only top connection would be gone, and the bottom connection isn't secure enough to hold it in an upright position.

ricksfolly

Back
Top Bottom