• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

boring domestic issues

new coup for you

Upper West Side Jacobin
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
does anyone else find themselves completely unmotivated to keep up to date on domestic issues?

they seem trite compared to foreign policy. i took geography quizzes on both the US and the Middle East and i did considerably better on the Middle East quiz. I honestly think Saudi Arabia has a greater influence over me then Iowa. That might just be my east coast arrogance (Philly native).

crap i just can't seem to care about:

-abortion
-gay marriage
-weapon law
-euthanasia
-prayer in school
-anything involving farmers or farm subsidy

none of them effect me particularly

i think politicians just like to make noise about them to obscure real issues.

domestic issues include the economy. that my friend is more important than any foreign politics (although foreign poltiics do revolve around economy).

with that said,i sometimes don't keep up with abortion, jsut because its such a damn hard issue to decide on....

other than that, domestic issues are no less important than foreign politics as they acn drastically affect the way our coutnry will be in the future.

good point, domestic issues do include the economy, which is enormously important.

what i meant is more the "great divider" domestic issues.

why devote thought to any of it? they just don't effect enough people to be worth the time and effort.

i dont give a **** whether Terri lives or dies, or whether a pregnant teenager has to inform her parents of her reproductive choices. and neither should society at large because such issues only involves a tiny, tiny percentage of the population.

these divider cases set a precedent that could be abused later on.

they don't involve a tiny percentage of the population. Abortion is not uncommon. These aren't the only divider issues anyways.

abortion has existed for thousands of years. why is it so important right now? because it's politically expedient for it to be important? because other issues can't be disscussed in such black and white terms?

divorce laws havent, feminism hasn't, civil rights haven't, gay rights certainly haven't been around for 1000s of years (homosexuals are more prevalent than you think). Although politicians and the media do overpresent these topics at times, they are very relavent.

i can see how civil rights issues could be considered legitimately important issues, but euthanasia? seriously, who cares. i'd be very suprised if more then a few thousand people a year were euthanized. more people die from sticking their heads in buckets.

the Republicans made sure homosexual issues were present on the last elections ballots, because they wanted to obscure other issues. it the most blatant case of politicans leading the public in this countries history in atleast 30 years.

new coup for you said:
good point, domestic issues do include the economy, which is enormously important.

what i meant is more the "great divider" domestic issues.

why devote thought to any of it? they just don't effect enough people to be worth the time and effort.

i dont give a **** whether Terri lives or dies, or whether a pregnant teenager has to inform her parents of her reproductive choices. and neither should society at large because such issues only involves a tiny, tiny percentage of the population.

I can go one better...We live in a day an age where more people know about Brad & Aniston's breakup than any economic or foreign policies.

Philly in the house...Which do more people care about?...Mayor Street's administration dropping like flies due to investigations?...Or T.O.?

I think the things we usually care most about are those things that affect us personally.

For those who have to do a lot of driving, the current price of gasoline makes stronger advocates for increased oil exploration in the US (coastal shelves, Alaska, etc.) and relaxing environmental regulations so that more refineries can be built. Gay marriage is a non issue for most (other than gays who wish to marry of course) until it is forced into public view via a ballot initiative. We mostly ignore the abortion issue until our church or club wishes to make a contribution to "Planned Parenthood" or "Mothers Against Abortion". Crime is a mildly interesting statistic until your home is burglarized. Homeland Security probably has greater significance to those who ride the New York subway system or who drive across vulnerable bridges every day, not to mention those who survived 9/11. Those with good, secure jobs are less likely to think much about the economy, but it is important to the business owner, the unemployed, and those with substandard or insecure employment.

That leaves the media the national issues, preferably sensational or scary ones, to grab the attention of the people and get us to watch or listen or read. When it's in our face we react to it more. But in truth, most of us probably spend our time thinking about and doing much more mundane things than world peace, world hunger, or continuation of the species.

The color on the sig is killing me!

"Blue On Blue" is a song by Bobby Vinton, not a way of writing your sig....

Hmmm. I was just trying to color coordinate with my avatar. :smile: Should I change it? Yeah, I agree. It's annoying. Done.

Last edited:
AlbqOwl said:
Hmmm. I was just trying to color coordinate with my avatar. :smile: Should I change it? Yeah, I agree. It's annoying. Done.

cnredd said:
I can go one better...We live in a day an age where more people know about Brad & Aniston's breakup than any economic or foreign policies.

Philly in the house...Which do more people care about?...Mayor Street's administration dropping like flies due to investigations?...Or T.O.?

the ONLY reason i'm glad Bush got elected is that the Republicans are tearing city hall a new asshole.

vodka prevented me from actually watching the super bowl, but i was pretty pissed when i woke up monday morning and found out. the eagles are pretty much dead to me.

Back
Top Bottom