• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Blowout: The Deepwater Horizon Disaster

ADK_Forever

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
From Truthout.org's newsletter today:

Text from the video link:

Deepwater Horizon's Blowout, Part 1 - 60 Minutes - CBS News

If this is all true, Halliburton's cement plugs may have failed because of BP's decision to not fill the tube with mud. If this is all true I think BP will be on the hook for a lot more than that $75 million cap if this is determined to be negligence.

Amazing. If this proves true, BP should be forced to suspend operations and not be allowed to drill offshore until all the rigs they operate pass safety tests and they get their house in order as to a response to worst case scenarios like this.

Amazing. If this proves true, BP should be forced to suspend operations and not be allowed to drill offshore until all the rigs they operate pass safety tests and they get their house in order as to a response to worst case scenarios like this.

This will go a long way to fining BP, winning lawsuits against them and forcing tougher, more restrictive safety regs on them.

It's amazing to see right wingers defend them. :roll:

The 60 Minutes piece was great, very informative.

Yeah, IF this is all true...and that there are no other truths being omitted. But blaming Big Oil is the MO around here, isn't it?

This will go a long way to fining BP, winning lawsuits against them and forcing tougher, more restrictive safety regs on them.

It's amazing to see right wingers defend them. :roll:

In light of the fact there is still litigation of the Exxon Valdez spill, I hope you're right. I think the cap on damages should be lifted altogether. Whatever the cost of making it right, it's theirs to bear when they make bad decisions based on cost cutting rather than safety.

One would think the possibility of blowing up the world's most advanced rig would be cause enough to prevent such greedy actions. Making them pay through the nose, provided the report is borne out, just might prevent the next idiot oil company from making the same stupid choices.

Yes, I'm flabbergasted to see anyone attempt to defend BP and their cohorts.

Yeah, IF this is all true...and that there are no other truths being omitted. But blaming Big Oil is the MO around here, isn't it?

If an oil company isn't responsible for an oil spill, who is?

It's easy to blame them with all the evidence building up against them.

Why is it your MO to defend "Big Oil" no matter what the evidence is against them?

Do you think this guy is making all this up?

I saw the 60 Minutes report and it was shocking to say the least. Based-on the interview with the employee that barely managed to survive, things had been going wrong for some time. Why? Because of poor BP management who mostly cared about the bottom line. Tsk tsk.

Let the finger pointing begin. :lol:

Here's Transocean pointing their finger at Halliburton...

And Halliburton points to BP...

Halliburton points to MMS...

Halliburton points back to BP, and the design of the rig...

Costly, time-consuming test of cement linings in Deepwater Horizon rig was omitted, spokesman says | NOLA.com

I wonder, was this finger pointing planned or is the honeymoon between these guys over?

And, why does this belong in the Breaking News forum?

You really should become more informed before posting your conclusions about this well blew out. Seriously!

Obviously YOU prefer to assign guilt prior to examination of ALL the evidence being assessed.

Seems you are not the only one to do this, the Messiah (having at some stage been a Lawyer, he should have known better) has also assigned guilt before hearing all the evidence.

Personally I prefer to hear the entire list of facts from all the Company's involved.

It could well be that BP may be adjudged to be 100% responsible, but at this stage NO ONE can state this to be an absolute irrefutable fact.

You really should become more informed before posting your conclusions about this well blew out. Seriously!

Would be so kind to interpret what your statement meant?, There is a PREVIEW button that can help prevent posting nonsensical statements.

If you think this is inaccurate I invite you to post what is, instead of posting another of your uninformed condemnations. :roll:

I would like for you explain how a gas pocket pushed four miles of material to the surface in only ten minutes. How much mass weight would that be? I welcome your response.

I would like for you explain how a gas pocket pushed four miles of material to the surface in only ten minutes. How much mass weight would that be? I welcome your response.

Exactly the response I expected. Thank you!!

Oh, terribly sorry. I missed this one. You poor soul. You must have felt awfully alone. :lol:

First off: What the hell are you yapping about? You haven't read anything that's been provided to you that explains what happened, have you? :roll:

Second: Do you know what the water pressure is down where those pipes are leaking? I'll save you the embarrassment... it's about 2,000 psi. So, for that oil and gas to be flowing out of those pipes it has to be under more than 2,000 psi.

At that pressure just how fast do you think it would shoot up that drill hole that has almost no pressure in it, thanks to BP?

You come on here as if you know something about those drilling rigs and it's obvious you don't have a clue.

What's the water pressure under the ocean floor?

What will you say if they find out that the casing split length wise and it didn't have anything to do with the cementing, afterall? You gonna want to go to Japan and sue the pipe manufaturer????

BTW, how much does 4 miles of cement weigh? More than 2,000 pounds, I bet. Do the math, bro.

Care to tell us how a cased hole, with a flow shoe at the bottom, blows out and shoves 4 miles worth of cement to the drill floor? Do you know what any of that means?

Now I know you don't have a clue. They didn't cement the entire length of the drill hole. I believe they put in 3 cement plugs. :doh

Oh, and by the way, this explosion did not occur because the casing split. But, I've spoon fed you enough. You'll have to look that one up yourself. :2wave:

Now I know you don't have a clue. They didn't cement the entire length of the drill hole. I believe they put in 3 cement plugs. :doh

They cement the entire length of the hole, from ground level on down. I never said otherwise. However, the cement is pumped in from the drill floor, which accounts for the entire four miles. Hello?!?

Oh, and by the way, this explosion did not occur because the casing split. But, I've spoon fed you enough. You'll have to look that one up yourself. :2wave:

And, you know that...how? No one really knows what happen, but you're sure split casing had nothing to do with it? Care to explain that one?

They cement the entire length of the hole, from ground level on down. I never said otherwise. However, the cement is pumped in from the drill floor, which accounts for the entire four miles. Hello?!?

Wrong. Wrong. Absolutely wrong.

[/quote]And, you know that...how? No one really knows what happen, but you're sure split casing had nothing to do with it? Care to explain that one?[/QUOTE]

I've already explained it several times. You have chosen to ignore it at the risk of your own embarrassment.

::ssst::: the answer you seek is not very far, young grasshoppah.

Wrong. Wrong. Absolutely wrong.

Are you seriously suggesting that when a well is cemented, that it's not cemented from the ground to bottom hole? For your sake, I hope that's not what you're saying.

There are more rig hands than me on this forum that will make you look the fool on that one.

Honestly, you are an enigma to me. You say you used to work on oil rigs. However, this latest claim of yours, “cemented from the ground to bottom hole” just doesn’t ring accurate. I have never worked on a rig but, I can read. Nothing I have read about drilling says that they fill the entire “drill hole”. In fact, I have read that they intentionally do not fill the entire hole because 1) it’s not necessary and 2) it would be a wasted expense.

Much of what you have said here doesn’t jive with what is in this thread and what I have read about drilling, and offshore specifically. I don’t know if you don’t understand what has happened in the Deepwater Horizon disaster, if you’re not reading (or listening to videos in) links provided to you, i f you don’t understand them or you’re simply being obtuse.

BP wasn’t abandoning the well. They were plugging it for another rig to come back to pump the oil out later. Part of the preparations for doing that is to place 3 cement plugs in the well (the hole in the ground under the ocean floor). They don’t fill the entire well, even when abandoning it.

Here is a diagram of what’s happening, including showing the plugs in the well.
http://media.nola.com/news_impact/other/oil-cause-050710.pdf

I hope this helps to explain the situation to you. And if I'm wrong here then I'm sure your "rig hands" will come here to back you up and I'll admit I'm wrong. But, as I say from what I've read I don't think I am.

Good day,

ADK

Seriously, you are only beating your head against a wall if you are expecting facts to have any effect on ADK.

Seriously, you are only beating your head against a wall if you are expecting facts to have any effect on ADK.

If you have anything other than childish attacks like this... let's hear it. Otherwise...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…