• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Blinken: "several thousand" legal U.S. residents in Afghanistan

Then let's invade again and rescue them.....right?
So me correcting someone’s wrong statement means in your mind I think we should invade again. That’s quite the dishonest imagination you have there.

That's a big maybe. Unless you have evidence?

How come you didn't address the part of my post asking what the comparison was to this story and a man being murdered by the evil Saudis (who were forgiven by Trump)?

Green card holders are not American citizens. You do know that, yes? Biden is President of the United States and all its citizens. I wish these people well but they are not Americans.
I wish them well, too, but the fact that they were there instead of here leads me to wonder if they want to be there? It's their home after all, and in the excerpt in the OP, Blinken didn't say they all wanted to leave. These aren't SIV applicants.

So me correcting someone wrong statement means in your mind I think we should invade again. That’s quite the dishonest imagination you have there.
I asked a question. Did you not see the question mark?

So first you claim it’sa world of difference and when you show that to be wrong you only have that it really didn’t even matter to you. Interesting.
I only glanced at it, kashoggi isn’t a topic I find interesting

so I am taking your word for it

We should have made a mandate forcing them all to leave. That is what being a green card holder means. That we can force them to return to the U.S. whenever we please.
😄

Then let's invade again and rescue them.....right?
You probably should get some reading comprehension classes. It’s rather amazing how I can post one thing and yet you read something entirely different and made up.
It’s almost like you were trying to tell lies about what I said.

I asked a question. Did you not see the question mark?
Yes I know you tried to give yourself an out but your silly little game is not very convincing.

Nothing I said even remotely hinted at me thinking we should invade again. That’s just you making crap up. It’s

Everyone had 60 days notice that America was leaving Afghanistan.

I will be honest - I did not know that. You learn something new every day. Thanks, Iguana :)

Yes, assuming you are correct, an orderly withdrawal that was well-planned probably would have included that before the full USMIL pullout.
Yes. We definitely need to start teaching courses at West Point covering how to have an "orderly withdrawal" from wars we lose. That is the #1 problem with our military now. Not enough practice at losing wars gracefully. Maybe the Italians can teach us how it is done.

Yes I know you tried to give yourself an out but your silly little game is not very convincing.

Nothing I said even remotely hinted at me thinking we should invade again. That’s just you making crap up. It’s
So you dont want to protect those Americans?

Ate you just here to blame biden?

You probably should get some reading comprehension classes. It’s rather amazing how I can post one thing and yet you read something entirely different and made up.
It’s almost like you were trying to tell lies about what I said.
I think you dont want to talk solutions......you want to talk blame

So you dont want to protect those Americans?

Ate you just here to blame biden?
They should have been evacuated before we removed all our military. Sorry that you think that is such a horrible idea.

Who’s fault do you think it was that the withdrawal was such a shit show.

Oh wait I forgot you are the guy that thinks it all was just a flight delay.
Never mind. Not worth my time.

The Taliban came to us in Doha and offered to let us take control of the City of Kabul to effect a more orderly withdrawal of our people in-country and we told them no. We had the option to go get people, and we chose not to.

We did, in fact, have the ability to stay - either to the original Sep 11 date or beyond - and we chose not to. The Aug 31 date was a decision the Administration made and communicated to the Taliban, just as it communicated to the Taliban that they were free to take Kabul, creating the subsequent situation where they were beating and turning away American citizens from making it to HKIA.

We had the option to do precisely that without creating conflict with the Taliban. We chose not to.

That is the situation we are in now because of this Administration's decisions. We can do nothing to the Taliban or against the Taliban, even if they start abusing the Americans they have (which is why you won't see me bashing the Biden Administration for not criticizing the Taliban enough - sure, I'd "like" to see it, but, it's not worth the risk). We are in a lose-lose situation precisely because we chose to leave them with hundreds of Americans to take hostage at their leisure.
How were we supposed to control Kabul and the airport with only 2500 troops? That is what the one term mistake left us with. We would have needed 10,000 troops minimum. That is what you wanted? To redeploy 10,000 more Americans? That was an unacceptable risk to Biden and the military. The idea was we are getting out not redeploying troops there. Every day longer we stayed increased the risk of more casualties of innocent aFghans and American soldiers. Of course you don't consider that at all because you could care less about our troops or the Afghans. You are butthurt that we lost and that is your beef. The surrender of American troops to the Taliban by Mr. One and done was the most disgraceful and demoralizing act of the entire war. Take that up with him and stop blaming Biden.

Last edited:
They should have been evacuated before we removed all our military. Sorry that you think that is such a horrible idea.

That's the past

Dont you want to go in and get them now?

Or do you not want to talk solutions....only blame?

Any Republican who wants to try to make partisan attacks on Biden should show they aren't just using people they don't give a crap about, by showing how they criticized trump for all the civilians he got killed with the sudden corrupt pullout in Syria, or if they want to (wrongly) limit it to US citizens, link to their post criticizing trump's mishandling of Coronavirus.

Otherwise, not interested. I will listen to non-Republicans' concerns if they're legitimate.
Do you have a link to how many United States civilians or military personnel died when evacuating from Syria?

How were we supposed to control Kabul and the airport with only 2500 troops? That is what the one term mistake left us with. We would have needed 10,000 troops minimum. That is what you wanted? To redeploy 10,000 more Americans? That was an unacceptable risk to Biden and the military. The idea was we are getting out not redeploying troops there. Every day longer we stayed increased the risk of more casualties of innocent aFghans and American soldiers. Of course you don't consider that at all because you could care less about our troops or the Afghans. You are butthurt that we lost and that is your beef. The surrender of American troops to the Taliban by Mr. One and done was the most disgraceful and demoralizing act of the entire war. Take that up with him and stop blaming Biden.
If 2500 troops wasn't enough, why did Biden lower it to 600?

And if we needed 10,000, why did he only send 6,000 back in?

Our military was gone when Biden took office. The one term mistake left him with a skeleton force far too small to take any action at all against the Taliban. So what is you solution given that fact.

If 2500 troops wasn't enough, why did Biden lower it to 600?

And if we needed 10,000, why did he only send 6,000 back in?
Because we only had troops for security of the Embassy and the airport at Kabul. The Afghan army was supposed to do the rest. I will remind you that it was 600 more Troops than the one term mistake agreed to in 2020. According to his agreement they were all supposed to be gone by May. When the Afghans surrendered Biden sent in 6000 to provide airport security.

They did not. These are the people who wanted to leave, who tried to leave, who we told we would help leave, and who we then abandoned, instead. If you elected to stay, you were the first person to get dropped off our list.

That's a fair nuance. The people Biden promised to help and then abandoned were American citizens and Afghans who had worked with us.

Many of those Green Card Holders have those green cards because they were Afghans who worked for us, but as a distinct category, the entity that told them they were a priority for evacuation was Biden's State Department, not Biden himself.

That's much better. :roll:
Security Alert: U.S. Embassy Kabul, Afghanistan (July 20, 2021)
Home | News & Events | Security Alert: U.S. Embassy Kabul, Afghanistan (July 20, 2021)

Event: The U.S. Embassy in Kabul has received reports of multiple rocket attacks in downtown Kabul at approximately 8:05 a.m. this morning. U.S. citizens should exercise caution and seek shelter in the event of additional rocket attacks.

As a reminder, in accordance with the Travel Advisory for Afghanistan, the Department of State warns U.S. citizens against travel to Afghanistan. The security situation in Afghanistan is extremely unstable, and the threat to all U.S. citizens in Afghanistan remains critical. U.S. citizens currently visiting or residing in Afghanistan should consider departing. The Embassy strongly urges U.S. citizens who decide to remain in Afghanistan to review your personal security plans, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal safety, remain aware of your surroundings, monitor local media for updates, and maintain a high level of vigilance.

Actions to Take:

Make contingency plans to leave.
Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
Stay alert in places frequented by foreigners.
Be aware of your surroundings.
Keep a low profile.
Notify a trusted person of your travel and movement plans.
Be aware of your surroundings and local security developments.
Monitor local media.
Review your personal security plans.

Assistance:

American Citizen Services Unit, U.S. Embassy Kabul, Afghanistan
Located at Great Massoud Road between Radio Afghanistan and
the Ministry of Public Health in Kabul.
+93-700-114-000 or +93-700-108-000 (after hours)
KabulACS@state.gov
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Afghanistan Country Information
Afghanistan Travel Advisory
Enroll in the Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Security Alert U.S. Embassy Kabul, Afghanistan (August 7, 2021)
Home | News & Events | Security Alert U.S. Embassy Kabul, Afghanistan (August 7, 2021)

The U.S. Embassy urges U.S. citizens to leave Afghanistan immediately using available commercial flight options. Given the security conditions and reduced staffing, the Embassy’s ability to assist U.S. citizens in Afghanistan is extremely limited even within Kabul.

The U.S. Embassy can provide a repatriation loan for U.S. citizens who cannot afford at this time to purchase a commercial ticket to the United States. Please contact the Embassy’s American Citizen Services Unit at KabulACS@state.gov for further information.

The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that on April 27, 2021, the Department of State ordered the departure from U.S. Embassy Kabul of U.S. government employees whose functions can be performed elsewhere due to increasing violence and threat reports in Kabul. The Travel Advisory for Afghanistan remains Level 4-Do Not Travel due to crime, terrorism, civil unrest, kidnapping, armed conflict, and COVID-19. Domestic flights and ground transportation routes outside of Kabul are severely limited and subject to cancellation or closure.

U.S. citizens should enroll in the Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates and ensure the Embassy can contact you in an emergency. In the event of a future official evacuation flight, the Embassy would notify U.S. citizens enrolled in STEP of available assistance. However, the Embassy reiterates that U.S. citizens should leave Afghanistan as soon as possible using available commercial transportation and not plan to rely on U.S. government flights.

Information about current travel restrictions world-wide can be found on the International Air Transport Association website.

Actions to take:

Consider leaving Afghanistan via the earliest available commercial transportation.
Develop a plan of action that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
Enroll in the Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates and ensure you can be located in an emergency.
If your U.S. passport expired on or before December 31, 2019, please see our website for information on how to renew your passport before traveling.

France calls on its citizens to leave Afghanistan amid security fears

Issued on: 13/07/2021 - 17:27

France on Tuesday called on all its citizens in Afghanistan to leave the country over security concerns, the French embassy in Kabul said, as the Taliban pressed on with a blistering offensive while foreign forces completed their withdrawal.

"The government will set up a special flight on the morning of July 17th, departing from Kabul, in order to allow the return to France of the entire French community," the embassy said in a statement, adding the flight will be free of cost.

"The Embassy of France formally recommends to all French citizens to take this special flight or to leave the country immediately by their own means."

France joins a growing list of countries that have either told their citizens to leave, or evacuated them -- including in recent days India and China.

The embassy said it will not be in a position to ensure the safe departure of citizens choosing to stay beyond July 17

Come on now, what dumb shit American would have stayed?

I watched most of the hearing yesterday and some of it today. It was clear that Americans had almost 6 months to leave and had proper notices sent. Financial aid was even offered to pay for flights. Not going to say all of them, but a pretty good amount could have left. There were also no SIVs issued since March 2020 and there was a backlog of 17,000 applications. Not excusing the Biden admin but our former dear leader and Stephen Miller's hands are not clean either.

Do you have a link to how many United States civilians or military personnel died when evacuating from Syria?
Do you have a link to the number of US civilians that were in Syria when we withdrew? How many were evacuated?

I watched most of the hearing yesterday and some of it today. It was clear that Americans had almost 6 months to leave and had proper notices sent. Financial aid was even offered to pay for flights. Not going to say all of them, but a pretty good amount could have left. There were also no SIVs issued since March 2020 and there was a backlog of 17,000 applications. Not excusing the Biden admin but our former dear leader and Stephen Miller's hands are not clean either.
Well yeah this would be the rational take on it. That is not allowed though.

Back
Top Bottom