• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Black couple sues after they say home valuation rises nearly $300,000 when shown by White colleague

View attachment 67407751

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/19/us/black-couple-home-appraisal-lawsuit-reaj/index.html

dramatically undervaluing their home in an appraisal because of Plaintiffs' race and their home's location adjacent to a Black census block, notwithstanding that it is also located within Homeland, an affluent, mostly white neighborhood,"
The suit claims this valuation came back at $750,000, more than a quarter of a million dollars higher than 20/20 Valuations' appraisal of $472,000

Lawsuit and street address is public information. Rarely do I laugh out loud while typing here for DP, but this item in the lawsuit really amused me:

Dr. Connolly’s scholarship focuses primarily on issues of racism, capitalism, politics, cities, and migration in the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Dr. Mott’s scholarship focuses primarily on twentieth century African-American and American literature and history.

Capitalism, right. Here are actual sale prices, with distance in linear feet from the house in question:

View attachment 67407752

Were they lowballed? Sure. But $300k and front page news?

Why do Trumpers always post threads about race?

Most of my race-based stories come from CNN, with NBC coming in a distant second. These are approved news sources and are indicative of the proper way to think, the correct party to vote for, etc. They tell the 'truth' about race. In this example, the "truth" is that 209 Churchwarden is worth $750k. At times I'm alerted to racial stories from unapproved sources (Fox, Chris Rufo, various other channels) but rarely use them as references.

For example, Rufo pointed me in the right (or perhaps wrong) direction regarding CRT. I didn't quote him, but rather did a study on the term "whiteness", sourcing school districts directly.

Signal to noise. They want to make racism less of a social issue by saturating the topic with nonsense and silly accusations.

I am not concerned about him. I am just pointing out that you would stoop to using trickery. Apparently this upsets you.
Hang on. So you're not mad about the racism but you are mad that these people were so intelligent and set up a sting to expose the racism. Do I have that right?

Hang on. So you're not mad about the racism but you are mad that these people were so intelligent and set up a sting to expose the racism. Do I have that right?
No you don't.

Using trickery is not a sign of intelligence.

Also, I am not mad about any "racism" because nobody has definitively proven there was any.

No you don't.

Using trickery is not a sign of intelligence.

Also, I am not mad about any "racism" because nobody has definitively proven there was any.
Setting up a sting to expose fraud or wrongdoing is brilliant.

Setting up a sting to expose fraud or wrongdoing is brilliant.
Maybe to you.

Anyway, what fraud? What wrongdoing? Have you proven any such thing or are you just quick to accuse people?

Keep in mind that just like most stories about race from the MSM, this one is self-serving to whites and the lawsuit itself upholds racism and white supremecy. The lawsuit argues that the comps for the appraisal be taken from the whiter, more affluent heart of Homeland:

...located adjacent to a predominantly Black area is worth less than if it were in the whiter areas that he deemed “the heart” of Homeland

...refusal to compare the Churchwardens Home to others south of Northern Parkway in the whiter “heart of Homeland,” as he called it,

So basically, we've got two Blacks saying "We want full credit for living in a white area", and you've got leftists on here arguing the same. By contuinually upholding white supremecy, this allows people to avoid this very uncomfortable question: Why aren't the Black areas of Baltimore commanding prices north of $500k like the white areas?

Notice how everyone here assumes the property values in Homeland are "supposed" to be higher than other, Blacker neighborhoods?

Maybe to you.

Anyway, what fraud? What wrongdoing? Have you proven any such thing or are you just quick to accuse people?
so when cops set up a sting (or, hell, the military to find out if bad stuff is happening within their ranks) it's just a dirty trick? how about the person that is actually doing the bad stuff? is it okay to just let them continue or should they be outed?

should cops be able to lie to members of that flash mob from the other day to get them to slip up and give up the names of the other people in the flash mob?

so when cops set up a sting (or, hell, the military to find out if bad stuff is happening within their ranks) it's just a dirty trick? how about the person that is actually doing the bad stuff? is it okay to just let them continue or should they be outed?

should cops be able to lie to members of that flash mob from the other day to get them to slip up and give up the names of the other people in the flash mob?
Sting operations are fraught with ethical concerns and are actually illegal in some countries.

You keep saying that stings are "brilliant', however, to me, it's the opposite. If law enforcements can only catch criminals using deceptive means, this suggests that they might not be very good at being cops.

But anyway we are getting sidetracked. My point is that you shouldn't be quick to accuse people. You need to prove that the appraiser really was motivated by racism.

Last edited:
I just don't understand the point of such an expensive house. The house I have is quite nice (three bedrooms, two living rooms, a man cave, and a sun room for example) and its only 163% of my yearly income.
The typical home value of homes in Washington is $707,647

The typical home value of homes in Ohio is $212,539

You're calling it a "concept." You don't actually believe it's real, do you?
I believe people can be racist and do things to harm people of races they believe are inferior. I don’t believe that every bad thing that happens to a minority is caused by racism.

I believe people can be racist and do things to harm people of races they believe are inferior. I don’t believe that every bad thing that happens to a minority is caused by racism.
You keep inserting language that hasn't been used, such as that racism is the "only" reason for the change in appraisals, or that "every bad thing that happens to a minority is caused by racism." Nobody has said these things, and I wonder just how much of your beliefs about racism are shaped by positions that nobody has taken.

You keep inserting language that hasn't been used, such as that racism is the "only" reason for the change in appraisals, or that "every bad thing that happens to a minority is caused by racism." Nobody has said these things, and I wonder just how much of your beliefs about racism are shaped by positions that nobody has taken.
It’s part of having a discussion. If you’re struggling to keep up just let me know and I’ll try to type slower and use smaller words.

It’s part of having a discussion. If you’re struggling to keep up just let me know and I’ll try to type slower and use smaller words.
The person who seems to be struggling with this topic is you, since you keep responding to arguments nobody has made.

The person who seems to be struggling with this topic is you, since you keep responding to arguments nobody has made.
No, I’m not having any issues following along at all. You’re getting all twisted because CNN only discussed possible racial issues with the appraisal (which you would have known if you’d read the article), and that I’m not on your bandwagon about redlining. I have to wonder if you even read the link you provided since you don’t seem to know what it says.

No, I’m not having any issues following along at all. You’re getting all twisted because CNN only discussed possible racial issues with the appraisal

Only discussing the race issue ≠ race was the only reason for the different appraisals. It seems these two statements are equal in your mind, but they're not.

(which you would have known if you’d read the article), and that I’m not on your bandwagon about redlining. I have to wonder if you even read the link you provided since you don’t seem to know what it says.

Which somehow led to your statement, "every bad thing that happens to a minority is caused by racism."

It's pretty clear you've got a chip on you shoulder.

Only discussing the race issue ≠ race was the only reason for the different appraisals. It seems these two statements are equal in your mind, but they're not.

Which somehow led to your statement, "every bad thing that happens to a minority is caused by racism."

It's pretty clear you've got a chip on you shoulder.
Since you apparently know more than CNN, what other reasons caused the appraisals to be different?

What I actually said was “I don’t believe that every bad thing that happens to a minority is caused by racism”. Just wanted to make sure you weren’t trying to change the context of what I said.

Since you apparently know more than CNN, what other reasons caused the appraisals to be different?

What I actually said was “I don’t believe that every bad thing that happens to a minority is caused by racism”. Just wanted to make sure you weren’t trying to change the context of what I said.
It's certainly good that you don't believe that, since nobody suggested that to be the case.

Excellent, I’m glad we agree on something.
I'm sure the list of things we agree on that having nothing to do with this topic is quite long. By the way, I think the Holocaust was bad. Agree or disagree?

inserting language that hasn't been used, such as that racism is the "only" reason for the change in appraisals

The lawsuit (and CNN) specify that race/racism accounts for 100% of the difference in appraisals.

my understanding from reading this thread is that the plaintiff/home owners were claiming the initial appraisal was erroneously low and that the error was due to the racial bias of the appraiser
if that is a valid assessment, then racism was THE allegation of the black homeowners against the appraiser, his/her employer, and the lender which refused to make a requested loan in the amount being sought, due to the appraisal's established fair market value
so, allow me to ask, if that appraisal was found to be flawed for another reason, other than racial bias, what was that other reason?

The lawsuit (and CNN) specify that race/racism accounts for 100% of the difference in appraisals.
Well, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. Can you provide that text here? I've re-read the lawsuit and can't find that language anywhere.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom