• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden calls for ban on assault weapons, high-capacity magazines

The 2A was written in the late 18th century by people whose view of guns was the muskets kept by militia members behind there doors for quick response if they were called up. Hence the 2A wording about militias. Now that we have local, state & Federal authorities, the 2A is obsolete except to gun fanatics.
Sorry, but those authorities are not with me 24/7 so they cannot protect me against criminals. At least having my own handgun and a CCW permit gives me an equalizer.

Really ?
You're not wrong LOL

Yet I knew of the term and you did not. How do you explain that ?
Clearly the people you shoot black powder guns with are not as informed as you think they are

So what ?

There were many innovations during the Napoleonic Wars:

A smooth bore "rifle" is called a "musket"
What distinguishes a rifle is its rifling, NOT smooth bore. You really don't know much about guns do you ?

France did NOT have and soldiers in "full plate armor". French cuirassiers and carabiniers wore breast plates and helmets. The use of helmets was also not unknown in the British army - this pre-dated the issue of helmets a hundred years later in WWI, which also saw the re-introduction of steel body armor too...as did WWII and the development of (experimental). The development of personal body armor goes on to this day (albeit no longer made from steel).

Officers (and cavalry) used swords into WWI too
Remember that officers were not armed like their men, they carried weapons purely designed for self defense.

You might also reflect that the USA was issuing swords to cavalry into the 20th century:

Well let me mess you up some more, for one the term is meaningless as it has long been out of use, and is not really used in law so literal definitions from that era do not apply today, modern shooters even using antique firearms do not use that term today, it is as outdated as the british empire.

Oh no wearing plate armor vs full plate armor which none of them stopped firearms, well time to be picky I guess trying to prove outdated empires were anything but. I need to find the pictures but if I recall correct no soldier got full plate mail, soldiers just got the breast and helmet armor, officers got full plate mail because france still had a showing off thing of tradition giving some of their officers outdated gear despite being worthless for battle, because knights in armor was cool or something.

The british experiments in ww1 and ww2 proved disastrous, they tried plate and chain armor, both did terrible, they eventually led to the modern flak jacket with ballistic nylon at first then kevlar later. Sadly britain actually uses chain armor combined with kevlar and ceramic plates for their police, as when chain was used for the right thing it worked very well. British police are more likely to be stabbed than shot, the ceramic plates stopped knives very well but the kevlar was pretty much worthless, so they used kevlar and ceramic plates for the front and rear and chain armor for the sides and vulnerable areas they were less likely to be shot at and more likely to be stabbed at.

Well let me mess you up some more, for one the term is meaningless as it has long been out of use

It's of use to anyone firing a smoothbore musket and was a widely used term for a very important aspect of musketry, during a not inconsiderable period of time
Bottom line is that I knew of the term and what it meant, and that it had nothing to do with the wind, while you embarrassed yourself making wild affirmative statement to to contrary that were false
Clearly your claimed experience of black powder guns (if indeed you do have any) is of far less worth than you seem to think it is
Perhaps you should learn a little more about guns ?

...wearing plate armor vs full plate armor which none of them stopped firearms, well time to be picky I guess trying to prove outdated empires were anything but.

The helmets and breast plates in use in the Napoleonic Wars would not stop a musket ball at close range but would stop them at greater range. Moreover they'd offer protection against shrapnel/grape shot from artillery as well as from sword blows and thrusts from bayonets
French cuirassiers were equipped with the breast plate at Napoleon's personal request and he knew something about warfare. The concept of armoring troops is still alive today and indeed is an important aspect of equipping a modern soldier - so maybe Napoleon was ahead of his time
When I served, we worse "body armor" that was really just protection against shell slinters. It was hot and uncomfortable to wear and would never stop a bullet....do you think it was "outdated" ?

Again you show how little you know of what you prattle on about

...officers got full plate mail because france still had a showing off thing of tradition giving some of their officers outdated gear despite being worthless for battle, because knights in armor was cool or something.

"Full plate mail" ?
Sorry, this makes no sense...the term for armor as "mail" was obsolete. I think you mean "full plate armor"
You're getting confused, are you still talking about the Napoleonic Wars and the age of gunpowder, because full plate armor was discarded in the 17th century:

The british experiments in ww1 and ww2 proved disastrous

Germany experimented with body armor too, and these experiments were not "disastrous"
But perhaps you have your own, personal criteria for the meaning of "disaster" and "disastrous", they just weren't successful because they proved too heavy to be bullet proof. Modern day body armor is much better

The US army also experimented with body armor in WWI:

3277159-757x1024.jpg

The US designed FLAK jackets proved much better but were no defense against a bullet, though the concept had been trialed by the British army in WWI

Sadly britain actually uses chain armor combined with kevlar and ceramic plates for their police, as when chain was used for the right thing it worked very well. British police are more likely to be stabbed than shot, the ceramic plates stopped knives very well but the kevlar was pretty much worthless, so they used kevlar and ceramic plates for the front and rear and chain armor for the sides and vulnerable areas they were less likely to be shot at and more likely to be stabbed at.

British police wearing chain armor ?
I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a British policeman wearing that

Though why "sadly" with regard to kevlar and ceramic plates? Are you aware of a British policeman being keeled while wearing body armor ?

It's of use to anyone firing a smoothbore musket and was a widely used term for a very important aspect of musketry, during a not inconsiderable period of time
Bottom line is that I knew of the term and what it meant, and that it had nothing to do with the wind, while you embarrassed yourself making wild affirmative statement to to contrary that were false
Clearly your claimed experience of black powder guns (if indeed you do have any) is of far less worth than you seem to think it is

Why didn't you know that wadding and patching act as gas checks? That's as applicable today as 200 years ago.

Explain how your gun and CCW stops a bullet.
He never said that-but if you shoot a criminal before he shoots you, or cause him to flee rather than be shot, that stops you from being harmed

The criminal has the initiative. He draws his gun first.
that sometimes is an advantage. But a well prepared and trained citizen might be ready. Or the criminal might not be expecting an armed response. I have a wallet that fits a smith and wesson bodyguard in it. You can shoot through it-it is designed for that. Rarely, I will carry it as a back up in the place I normally carry a wallet. I practice shooting it with my left hand because that is normally the hand I use to pull out my wallet. A 380 CORBON JHP in the eye socket at a range of 3 feet is going to end most holdups

that sometimes is an advantage. But a well prepared and trained citizen might be ready. Or the criminal might not be expecting an armed response. I have a wallet that fits a smith and wesson bodyguard in it. You can shoot through it-it is designed for that. Rarely, I will carry it as a back up in the place I normally carry a wallet. I practice shooting it with my left hand because that is normally the hand I use to pull out my wallet. A 380 CORBON JHP in the eye socket at a range of 3 feet is going to end most holdups

All the advice I've seen says to comply and not to startle the mugger.

I think drawing on a guy pointing a gun at you is a good way to get shot.

All the advice I've seen says to comply and not to startle the mugger.

I think drawing on a guy pointing a gun at you is a good way to get shot.
you didn't read what I wrote. A criminal should not see your weapon until after you have shot him or cut him so badly he cannot attack

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210515-021435.png
    Screenshot_20210515-021435.png
    283.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20210515-021452.png
    Screenshot_20210515-021452.png
    261.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20210515-021530.png
    Screenshot_20210515-021530.png
    274.2 KB · Views: 4

The helmets and breast plates in use in the Napoleonic Wars would not stop a musket ball at close range but would stop them at greater range. Moreover they'd offer protection against shrapnel/grape shot from artillery as well as from sword blows and thrusts from bayonets
French cuirassiers were equipped with the breast plate at Napoleon's personal request and he knew something about warfare. The concept of armoring troops is still alive today and indeed is an important aspect of equipping a modern soldier - so maybe Napoleon was ahead of his time
When I served, we worse "body armor" that was really just protection against shell slinters. It was hot and uncomfortable to wear and would never stop a bullet....do you think it was "outdated" ?

Again you show how little you know of what you prattle on about

"Full plate mail" ?
Sorry, this makes no sense...the term for armor as "mail" was obsolete. I think you mean "full plate armor"
You're getting confused, are you still talking about the Napoleonic Wars and the age of gunpowder, because full plate armor was discarded in the 17th century:

Germany experimented with body armor too, and these experiments were not "disastrous"
But perhaps you have your own, personal criteria for the meaning of "disaster" and "disastrous", they just weren't successful because they proved too heavy to be bullet proof. Modern day body armor is much better

The US army also experimented with body armor in WWI:

View attachment 67332622

The US designed FLAK jackets proved much better but were no defense against a bullet, though the concept had been trialed by the British army in WWI

British police wearing chain armor ?
I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a British policeman wearing that

Though why "sadly" with regard to kevlar and ceramic plates? Are you aware of a British policeman being keeled while wearing body armor ?
Using windage is not even common in smootbores, simple paper patches long ago solved that issue, that was just britain being well behind the times in terminology as for the longest time windage meant adjustment to wind not bore clearance.

The helmets and breastplates during napoleons time were nothing but symbolic, they were long obsolete by then, he simply wanted to keep tradition going.

The flak jacket trials mostly failed until the end of ww2, the flak jacket idea was tried many times with nearly every armor experiment failing until later mon, the fact america and britain used them in experiments does not maike them good, as both nations ditched every experiment they did short of ballistic nylon and steel plates in that nylon.

And no you would not see british police wearing chainmail, they did not run around with medeival chainmail, but rather used them in vulnerable spots for stabbing attacks due to kevlar being worthless against knife attacks.The often used kevlar and ceramic plates on fron and rear but used chain on their sides, somehing their uniform would cover up, they did so because bullet hits likelt came from front or rear while knife stabs likely came from the sides aiming for lungs. They did this because chain armor was worthless against firearms but highly effective against knives, so they simply made a hybrid armor to handle both based on what they expected to deal with.

Using windage is not even common in smootbores...

"Windage" was a common term in the days of smooth bore muskets
It did not refer to the wind as you wrongly said
I was aware of the term, whilst you, with all your claimed experience in black powder weapons, were not

The helmets and breastplates during napoleons time were nothing but symbolic, they were long obsolete by then, he simply wanted to keep tradition going.

No they weren't - you just don't know anything about Napoleonic warfare
Napoleon himself asked his minister for war to provide regiments of cavalry to wear the cuirass (breastplate) and helmet (previously he had none)
Under Napoleon, the regiments of elite cavalry, the Carabiniers, shed their highly prized bearskin hats and adopted helmets and breastplates in response to losses they suffered on campaign

"The regiments retained their distinctive bearskin headwear until 1810 when it was replaced by even more distinctive helmets...they were also distinguished by the iron cuirasses after suffering heavy casualties in the 1809 campaign..."

"Heavy Casualties". Like I've previously said, you don't know what you're talking about

The flak jacket trials mostly failed until the end of ww2...

Nope, FLAK jackets were widely issued and worn during the peak of the ETO bomber offensive of 1943

And no you would not see british police wearing chainmail, they did not run around with medeival chainmail, but rather used them in vulnerable spots for stabbing attacks due to kevlar being worthless against knife attacks.

"...body armour being tested at the St Albans lab is mostly made up of aramid – a class of strong synthetic fibres that includes Kevlar and are tightly-woven to stop a blade from getting through. “This type of armour would be looking to blunt the blade and arrest the knife, absorbing the energy and stopping it penetrating too far...
Early versions of the stab-resistant armour were made up of interlocking metal circles designed to stop the blade from penetrating, but officers ended up leaving the bulky and hot vests on the back seat of their police cars rather than wearing them..."

So yes, British police do wear stab proof vests and early models did use a construction similar to chain mail, but were unpopular and rarely worn, and were replaced by....KEVLAR constructed vests

"Kevlar® is used in both bulletproof and stab proof vests. The Kevlar® fabric is tightly woven together in order to create stab proof vests. ... The sharp edge of the knife is then unable to penetrate through to the flesh because it is caught within the Kevlar® weaving."

The often used kevlar and ceramic plates on fron and rear but used chain on their sides, somehing their uniform would cover up, they did so because bullet hits likelt came from front or rear while knife stabs likely came from the sides aiming for lungs. They did this because chain armor was worthless against firearms but highly effective against knives, so they simply made a hybrid armor to handle both based on what they expected to deal with.

No, per the link about, the chain mail type construction was heavy and hot and policemen were reluctant to wear them. They were replaced by Kevlar constructed vests.

"Windage" was a common term in the days of smooth bore muskets
It did not refer to the wind as you wrongly said
I was aware of the term, whilst you, with all your claimed experience in black powder weapons, were not

No they weren't - you just don't know anything about Napoleonic warfare
Napoleon himself asked his minister for war to provide regiments of cavalry to wear the cuirass (breastplate) and helmet (previously he had none)
Under Napoleon, the regiments of elite cavalry, the Carabiniers, shed their highly prized bearskin hats and adopted helmets and breastplates in response to losses they suffered on campaign

"The regiments retained their distinctive bearskin headwear until 1810 when it was replaced by even more distinctive helmets...they were also distinguished by the iron cuirasses after suffering heavy casualties in the 1809 campaign..."

"Heavy Casualties". Like I've previously said, you don't know what you're talking about

Nope, FLAK jackets were widely issued and worn during the peak of the ETO bomber offensive of 1943

"...body armour being tested at the St Albans lab is mostly made up of aramid – a class of strong synthetic fibres that includes Kevlar and are tightly-woven to stop a blade from getting through. “This type of armour would be looking to blunt the blade and arrest the knife, absorbing the energy and stopping it penetrating too far...
Early versions of the stab-resistant armour were made up of interlocking metal circles designed to stop the blade from penetrating, but officers ended up leaving the bulky and hot vests on the back seat of their police cars rather than wearing them..."

So yes, British police do wear stab proof vests and early models did use a construction similar to chain mail, but were unpopular and rarely worn, and were replaced by....KEVLAR constructed vests

"Kevlar® is used in both bulletproof and stab proof vests. The Kevlar® fabric is tightly woven together in order to create stab proof vests. ... The sharp edge of the knife is then unable to penetrate through to the flesh because it is caught within the Kevlar® weaving."

No, per the link about, the chain mail type construction was heavy and hot and policemen were reluctant to wear them. They were replaced by Kevlar constructed vests.
Windage is still an obsolete term, completely irrelevant to today even for muzzleloaders, only relevent for british historians who have nothing better to do and ignore the blatent fact even during the time it was used paper and cotton and linen were used to fill bore gaps.

The napolean wars shown armor beyond worthless for their era, they were clinging on to centuries older armor designed to stop firearms, which used thicker helms and armor and contoured the armour to deflect bullets, they were fairly useless, this was an example of napoleon being well behind the times like britain, the only logical use was drill and ceremony as such armor did them no good in battle.

kevlar vests were useless to stabs unless treated, a far as evidence goes they still use chain as part of thei9r arm9or, as treated kevloar to withstand stabs is fairly new tech while chainmail proved effective over more than a thousand years, and to this day they only neaded chainmail where protection was limited, iie the sides, as the ceramic plates proved good protection front and rear.

Fyi even butchers still use chain mail, it is highly effective against cuts and stabs, it is still common for butchers to use chain mail gloves to protect against cleavers.

Kevlar is not tightly woven to make stab proof vests, kevlar by itself no matter how tightly woven is worthless against knives by itself, recent inventions include treating kevlar with other things to make them stab resistant, however these are fairly new and not widely adopted, your average keval vest can be defeated by a iknife or an arrow fairly easily despite being able to stop a handgun round, this is just the nature of the material.

Windage is still an obsolete term...

It is now because smooth bore muskets are obsolete
Nevertheless it was both a common and pertinent term in the days when smooth bore muskets were the dominant weapon of the major militaries
Bottom line is that I was aware of the term and you were not
I told you that it was completely unconnected with the wind, which you laughably denied - much to your embarrassment any my amusement

The napolean wars shown armor beyond worthless for their era...

Nope, as shown, the French re-adopted armor in the face of casualties to elite cavalrymen whilst on campaign
You're just in denial now, crassly ignoring any and all links, showing you to be wrong

I'm really not interested in your ignorant opinion, nor your pathetic diatribe

kevlar vests were useless to stabs...

Nope, again your ignorant opinion
Kevlar is one of the main materials used in today's ant-knife vests

Fyi even butchers still use chain mail, it is highly effective against cuts and stabs, it is still common for butchers to use chain mail gloves to protect against cleavers.

Cuts not thrusts/stabs

Kevlar is not tightly woven to make stab proof vests, kevlar by itself no matter how tightly woven is worthless against knives...

As shown, which clearly you ignored, Kevlar is one of the main materials used in today's ant-knife vests

Please don't reply with any more of your worthless, unsubstantiated opinion.

It is now because smooth bore muskets are obsolete
Nevertheless it was both a common and pertinent term in the days when smooth bore muskets were the dominant weapon of the major militaries
Bottom line is that I was aware of the term and you were not
I told you that it was completely unconnected with the wind, which you laughably denied - much to your embarrassment any my amusement

Nope, as shown, the French re-adopted armor in the face of casualties to elite cavalrymen whilst on campaign
You're just in denial now, crassly ignoring any and all links, showing you to be wrong

I'm really not interested in your ignorant opinion, nor your pathetic diatribe

Nope, again your ignorant opinion
Kevlar is one of the main materials used in today's ant-knife vests

Cuts not thrusts/stabs

As shown, which clearly you ignored, Kevlar is one of the main materials used in today's ant-knife vests

Please don't reply with any more of your worthless, unsubstantiated opinion.
amusing that is.

Yep. Did you know what "windage" meant in the days of smoothbore muskets ?
yeah. now it means left-right adjustment-either with a sight or aiming off. I use the term more as an archer and archery coach than as a professional shooter. In shotgun events and the speed shooting I do, it has no real use. But shooting an Olympic bow or crossbow at 65-70 meters, "aiming off" is a key skill in gusty winds

yeah. now it means left-right adjustment-either with a sight or aiming off. I use the term more as an archer and archery coach than as a professional shooter. In shotgun events and the speed shooting I do, it has no real use. But shooting an Olympic bow or crossbow at 65-70 meters, "aiming off" is a key skill in gusty winds

That's "windage adjustment". But you recognize that , in the days of smooth bore muskets, it meant something completely different, and was totally unconnected wirh the wind, right ?

That's "windage adjustment". But you recognize that , in the days of smooth bore muskets, it meant something completely different, and was totally unconnected wirh the wind, right ?
well the gap between the diameter of the ball and the bore could increase the randomness of the ball's flight due to the wind

well the gap between the diameter of the ball and the bore could increase the randomness of the ball's flight due to the wind

But that's not was meant by the term "windage"
The gap between the "diameter of the ball and the bore" DID increase the "randomness of the ball's flight" on a perfectly still day.

Muskets were horribly inaccurate because this anyway, without considering the effects of the wind.

Back
Top Bottom