• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden’s war on dishwashers and washing machines hits a snag

anatta

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
give me clean dishes or give me paper plates!
In January of that year, the Energy Department finalized a rule to restore “efficiency standards” for consumer appliances — residential dishwashers, dryers, and washing machines — that had been rolled back during the Trump administration.

“The Trump rule,” Bloomberg Law reported at the time, “had created new short-cycle product classes that weren’t subject to any water or energy conservation standards.”

Earlier this month, a federal appeals court filed a ruling that was welcome news to Americans who find it head-scratching that the federal government is aggressively dictating the standards of our cleaning appliances.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit rejected the Energy Department’s effort to tighten those standards, determining the regulations were “arbitrary and capricious” and dismissing the government’s claim that the 2020 rules were “invalid.”

The federal government’s effort to save the planet by more aggressively regulating our appliances likely sounds utterly absurd to some and entirely sensible to others. What’s undebatable is that it’s a battle that stretches back decades.

My introduction to the appliance wars goes back to the 1990s, when the subject popped up on my favorite television show, Seinfeld. In the episode, Kramer, Jerry, and Newman are all deeply distraught (and disheveled). They can’t get a good wash because of mandated new “low-flow” showers.

“There’s no pressure; I can’t get the shampoo out of my hair!” Kramer exclaims. “If I don’t have a good shower, I am not myself. I feel weak and ineffectual; I’m not Kramer.”

The episode, which ends with Kramer buying “hot” shower heads off the black market, perfectly captured the absurdity of clumsy attempts to conserve resources in this top-down fashion.

As many have observed, low-flow showers might use less water per minute, but they also result in people taking longer showers. Similarly, regulations that cap dishwashers at 3.1 gallons of water (who came up with that figure?) result in dishes that get less clean, which means a second run or washing dishes by hand. Low-flow toilets might use less water per flush, but are they actually saving water if you must flush two or three times to do the job?

Rule-making bureaucrats rarely consider such questions — and we mustn’t ask them. The experts know best, we’re told. We’re supposed to accept on faith that they possess the knowledge to find the Goldilocks zone in energy savings.

They don’t, however, and often we simply end up with appliances that are much worse.

In January of that year, the Energy Department finalized a rule to restore “efficiency standards” for consumer appliances — residential dishwashers, dryers, and washing machines — that had been rolled back during the Trump administration.

“The Trump rule,” Bloomberg Law reported at the time, “had created new short-cycle product classes that weren’t subject to any water or energy conservation standards.”

Earlier this month, a federal appeals court filed a ruling that was welcome news to Americans who find it head-scratching that the federal government is aggressively dictating the standards of our cleaning appliances.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit rejected the Energy Department’s effort to tighten those standards, determining the regulations were “arbitrary and capricious” and dismissing the government’s claim that the 2020 rules were “invalid.”

The federal government’s effort to save the planet by more aggressively regulating our appliances likely sounds utterly absurd to some and entirely sensible to others. What’s undebatable is that it’s a battle that stretches back decades.

My introduction to the appliance wars goes back to the 1990s, when the subject popped up on my favorite television show, Seinfeld. In the episode, Kramer, Jerry, and Newman are all deeply distraught (and disheveled). They can’t get a good wash because of mandated new “low-flow” showers.

“There’s no pressure; I can’t get the shampoo out of my hair!” Kramer exclaims. “If I don’t have a good shower, I am not myself. I feel weak and ineffectual; I’m not Kramer.”

The episode, which ends with Kramer buying “hot” shower heads off the black market, perfectly captured the absurdity of clumsy attempts to conserve resources in this top-down fashion.

As many have observed, low-flow showers might use less water per minute, but they also result in people taking longer showers. Similarly, regulations that cap dishwashers at 3.1 gallons of water (who came up with that figure?) result in dishes that get less clean, which means a second run or washing dishes by hand. Low-flow toilets might use less water per flush, but are they actually saving water if you must flush two or three times to do the job?

Rule-making bureaucrats rarely consider such questions — and we mustn’t ask them. The experts know best, we’re told. We’re supposed to accept on faith that they possess the knowledge to find the Goldilocks zone in energy savings.

They don’t, however, and often we simply end up with appliances that are much worse.
You didn't even bother to anchor your OP to a news "source" of more reliable reputation than Philip Anschutz owned christian nationalist media property.

Last edited:
You didn't even bother to anchor your OP to a news "source" of more reliable reputation than Philip Anshutz owned christian nationalist media property.
feel free to ignore it. fine by me . I linked the The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit ruling

I owned an historic home in Fort Worth about 10 years ago that was built in the 1920s. One of the showers had half inch pipe. We called it Niagara Falls. Greatest shower I’ve ever had. Looks awful, though. Aesthetically displeasing. Like something out of a horror film. I refused to replace it.

IMG_2739.jpeg

I owned an historic home in Fort Worth about 10 years ago that was built in the 1920s. One of the showers had half inch pipe. We called it Niagara Falls. Greatest shower I’ve ever had. Looks awful, though. Aesthetically displeasing. Like something out of a horror film. I refused to replace it.

View attachment 67488417
When we remodeled our bathroom about 15 years ago, the general contractor, a friend of ours, removed the flow limiter from the shower head.

A newer shower head in another bathroom just dribbles in comparison. I've tried a couple of times to open up the water flow using an electric drill (where there's a will, there's a way), but only with limited success.

I'm certainly not going to replace that old shower head until I have to.

So similar experience in more modern times than the 1920s.

Low-flow toilets might use less water per flush, but are they actually saving water if you must flush two or three times to do the job?
Conservatives must take gigantic shits if they have to flush the toilet more than once.

Probably because they are absolutely full of shit.

Conservatives must take gigantic shits if they have to flush the toilet more than once.

Probably because they are absolutely full of shit.

Liberals have the turd inspector verify the bowl’s contents before they can flush.

Liberals have the turd inspector verify the bowl’s contents before they can flush.
Special call out for all those who Americans who advocate for and support health care for all, even those who suffer from shit for brains.

Oh yes, I remember my Republican father screaming about 1 gallon flush toilets that nobody gives a shit about it anymore…

He loves Trump too.

When I had my home built in 2003 I purchased my toilets from Whitehorse in the Yukon Territory and smuggled them into Alaska. Canadian toilets hold 60% more water than US toilets. Canadians established a minimum water flow rather than a maximum. Canadian toilets are required to provide a minimum of 6 liters (1.6 gallons) of water per flush.

When I had my home built in 2003 I purchased my toilets from Whitehorse in the Yukon Territory and smuggled them into Alaska. Canadian toilets hold 60% more water than US toilets. Canadians established a minimum water flow rather than a maximum. Canadian toilets are required to provide a minimum of 6 liters (1.6 gallons) of water per flush.
It must be hard to always be so full of shit you need a giant toilet.

There are German toilets for that goal. Don't ask.

It doesn't matter how much water a toilet, shower head, dishwasher uses. Just as long as the water they use remains in the local water table being the key thing.
Why the self proclaimed uber intellectual ecomentalists don't realize this shatters their illusion / delusion of intellectual superiority.

Good.

It doesn't matter how much water a toilet, shower head, dishwasher uses. Just as long as the water they use remains in the local water table being the key thing.
Why the self proclaimed uber intellectual ecomentalists don't realize this shatters their illusion / delusion of intellectual superiority.
All grey and black water runs through my septic system and them back into the ground where it has to filter through ~100 feet of soil before it reaches the water table from whence it originated. The one thing we are not in short supply of in Alaska is freshwater. There are between 198,000 to 200,000 glaciers on the entire planet, and Alaska has around 27,000 of them, or 13.5%.

The amount of water a toilet has directly impacts its ability to flush without clogging. More water pressure is required, which means more water.

Are MAGAs really demanding inefficient dishwashers?

All grey and black water runs through my septic system and them back into the ground where it has to filter through ~100 feet of soil before it reaches the water table from whence it originated. The one thing we are not in short supply of in Alaska is freshwater. There are between 198,000 to 200,000 glaciers on the entire planet, and Alaska has around 27,000 of them, or 13.5%.
All a perfectly normal water cycle.

In more densely populated areas the grey and black water goes through a water treatment plant, where it is treated and cleaned to high safety standards before it is released back into the local water table.
This also a perfectly normal water cycle.

The amount of water a toilet has directly impacts its ability to flush without clogging. More water pressure is required, which means more water.
The Northern, oh say 1/3 of the continental US is blessed with abundant fresh water. We here in Michigan especially so with the Great Lakes.

View attachment 67488417
Gosh I hope those pipes weren't lead lined!

All a perfectly normal water cycle.

In more densely populated areas the grey and black water goes through a water treatment plant, where it is treated and cleaned to high safety standards before it is released back into the local water table.
This also a perfectly normal water cycle.
The Northern, oh say 1/3 of the continental US is blessed with abundant fresh water. We here in Michigan especially so with the Great Lakes.

Not so much in Flint, it seems!

But in all seriousness, if you can handle the winters - Great Lakes is a great region! The rest of the country often just lumps it in with "The Midwest", but it's really it's own region with it's own vibe, and has diversity within itself.

Besides the plethora of Yooper materials that's the rage these days, might find this below an interesting read - if you're interested?

AMAZON - The Third Coast: Sailors, Strippers, Fishermen, Folksingers, Long-Haired Ojibway Painters, and God-Save-the-Queen Monarchists of the Great Lakes

The Flint water problem is far more detailed and subtle than what you just characterized, most significant of which was Detroit's DPW department wanting a huge price hike from Flint, and a construction of a new water source being delayed, putting the Flint city council in a really bad spot, with no good way out.

But in all seriousness, if you can handle the winters - Great Lakes is a great region! The rest of the country often just lumps it in with "The Midwest", but it's really it's own region with it's own vibe, and has diversity within itself.
Been living here since late 60's. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Besides the plethora of Yooper materials that's the rage these days, might find this below an interesting read - if you're interested?

AMAZON - The Third Coast: Sailors, Strippers, Fishermen, Folksingers, Long-Haired Ojibway Painters, and God-Save-the-Queen Monarchists of the Great Lakes

I can handle the winters but prefer some mountains and more heavily forested. I would like to relocate, but I'm stuck here in northern Indiana as dealing with elderly parents that can't move. I could easily live in northern Canada!

Back
Top Bottom