• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

best way to repair/paint a fence

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Take a look.

railing.jpg

This is a side railing of our beach house, Getting it ready for the summer, I'd like to repaint this...

What would you all reccomend?

Take a look.

railing.jpg

This is a side railing of our beach house, Getting it ready for the summer, I'd like to repaint this...

Is the wood rotted?

I've never seen it but I'm almost positive that a local Home Depot or Lowes would have a salt resistant paint.

If you're looking to replace it you might consider a composite decking material.
I don't know if they make it for the railings but the decking itself is really nice although it is much more expensive than regular lumber.

10a74f28-5a4a-45cc-be7d-43268639e8a9_400.jpg

Veranda 16 Ft. Slate Gray Composite Decking - BRDM1E1 G 16 at The Home Depot

Take a look.

railing.jpg

I would remove all of that white paint, if you have the time.

Is that the actual wood, or a coat of brown paint under the white? If its paint too, I would try to remove all of it, with stripper (messy), or an electric sander (a little messy too, but better). Course, don't sand if there's any chance lead paint was used on the railing (pre 1978), and use a dust mask.

If you do that prep work, then prime with a good exterior acrylic primer, and apply two coats of Sherwin Williams Superpaint, or Behr's best exterior acrylic, or really any company's top of the line acrylic, your work will be really durable for years.

Use same manufacturer's primer and finish paint. And use satin paint for the finish - its a little more water resistant than flat, but still breathes, which you need in a humid environment like a beach area.

It depends on the shape of that wood.

But I think a sanding block or a power sander
Then a coat of anti-rot protectorant that doubles as primer
then a coat of GOOD paint. Not that cheap crap!!!!

Then get a case of Sam Adams and enjoy the fence! :2wave:

wash it with TSP/water solution
then take a wire brush and go over everything
then primer everything
then paint everything

lowes valspar paint and primer have great ratings - was an excellent value for exterior grade paint when i was looking to do the same thing last summer (semi gloss white)
if possible, do the painting in the morning before temperatures start to elevate above 90 ... paint wont dry out too quickly ...

If the brown under the white is the actual wood and not another layer of paint, from the looks of it, you could rent/buy a 6000 (or more) psi pressure washer and it will remove most of the paint then just sand the **** out of (use a palm sander and the lowest grit sand paper you can find) or use paint stripper on the remaining white paint.

Thank all. I am also considering replacing it and using a solid white stain as opposed to paint to prevent chipping.

I agree, stain is the way to go. It just soaks in and you can just slap more on every few years. My house is cedar sided and I just restain it as needed. You can use a rag and just go for it.

Back
Top Bottom