• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Best form of education

Jelica

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
What is the best form of education?
In Sweden a new form of education has become very popular. The school that has brought this up wants their students to work on their own and take responibibility for their own work. Is this really a good way to make children learn more?
What I've heard is that you don't do any work untill the last weeks of the term where you do the work. When you do this you'll just end up not remembering anything at all. So if this continues the population of Sweden will recive higher average grades but be more stupid than ever!

Actually that doesn't sound like a bad system. I'd love to have it that way here.

In Sweden a new form of education has become very popular. The school that has brought this up wants their students to work on their own and take responibibility for their own work. Is this really a good way to make children learn more?
What I've heard is that you don't do any work untill the last weeks of the term where you do the work. When you do this you'll just end up not remembering anything at all. So if this continues the population of Sweden will recive higher average grades but be more stupid than ever!

I would have to read more about your new education practices to have a better understanding of what exactly is going on. It seems to me that if little to no work is required until the last weeks of the term, that it's just what will happen -- little to no work being done (period).

Can you provide any links that give a good description of what's happening in Sweeden, education-wise, right now?

In English
This is a link to Kunskapsskolan which is the school that uses this form of education.
I think it looks good in theory, but do all the children really follow their plans? I don't think so!

Of course not they do it all at the last minute like highschool kids everywhere. As long as it goods done, that's what matters.

This system might work in a smaller amount, if the students are taking care of ALL of their work by themselves it's going to be total chaos, delayed deadlines, and just a half written work.

Although if they could take care of like half of their planing, let's say that the studends goes to school the first half of the day and then plan their own studying after lunch for example. That might work out great, but I'm a bit of a conservatist and belive that the studends does best in school.

I would need alot more information on this certain area to be able to debate more about it.

This system might work in a smaller amount, if the students are taking care of ALL of their work by themselves it's going to be total chaos, delayed deadlines, and just a half written work.

What if the people learn to use the system and get their work done.
Learn to plan their days, it isn't that hard if you think about it , really.
I want to know if this system would work if the assignments worked and the children got happier:2razz: I would say to at least give it a try and please if you have any quotes on if the system would work if they learned to use it.:lol:

What if the people learn to use the system and get their work done.
Learn to plan their days, it isn't that hard if you think about it , really.
I want to know if this system would work if the assignments worked and the children got happier:2razz: I would say to at least give it a try and please if you have any quotes on if the system would work if they learned to use it.:lol:

I think it's pretty obvious (at least to me), that none of the kids are going to do anything. They are just going to skate off and copy each others work at the end of the period or whatver.

I am sure it would work on the tiny % of the class that is outgoing and eager to learn.

I actually don't think that all the kids are going to skip all their work, but there's another problem with this type of education. There aren't as many lessons as in a usual school, which means that the kids works with books instead. A important thing when you want to learn and remember things is that you both read and here it, in other words that you use different sences while learning. So even if you deal with all the school work you'll still have a harder time remembering what you've learned in the future.

I think that students that go to this kind of schools have choose it,
And they are probably very hard working and independent persons.
For kids under the age of 15 I don't think this kind of system is a very good idea, they are to small to be independent.
When you go to highschool this is the way it is all the time, maybe its good to learn the system in time.
As I said, student choose this kind of school, its their choice, and also their problem....;)

I actually don't think that all the kids are going to skip all their work, but there's another problem with this type of education. There aren't as many lessons as in a usual school, which means that the kids works with books instead. A important thing when you want to learn and remember things is that you both read and here it, in other words that you use different sences while learning. So even if you deal with all the school work you'll still have a harder time remembering what you've learned in the future.

Well of course not everyone would skip class and run off every day, although if some people does it and gets away with it, it'll be easier for other students to follow their example and do the same thing cause all the sudden it seem "OK". But yes some students will probably try to learn but as you mentioned they'll need to evolve not only by reading books but also by hearing.

There's a school in Seattle that does this. It's called "NOVA"

Maybe some form of apprenticeships should be brought back.
There are students who know by the time they enter the double digits, age-wise, that they are not cut out for school, and are only biding their time until they're old enough to legally drop out.
Rather than criminalizing them or squandering public resources fruitlessly on them, we ought to give them the option of learning a useful trade.

Back
Top Bottom