• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bernie sanders wants to tax stock trades to pay for free college

Anomalism

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
It's nice to have somebody fighting for education.

Bernie Sanders Wants to Tax Stock Trades to Pay for Free College - Bloomberg Politics

Bernie Sanders wants to take from the rich in order to make public college tuition-free for everyone else. On Tuesday, Sanders will hold a press conference in the nation's capital at which he will introduce a plan to use a so-called Robin Hood tax on stock transactions to fund tuition at four-year public colleges and universities. Sanders' bill sets a 50-cent tax on every "$100 of stock trades on stock sales, and lesser amounts on transactions involving bonds, derivatives, and other financial instruments," the group Robin Hood Tax on Wall Street said Monday in a press release. "The Robin Hood tax would also slow the growth of automated high frequency trading, which makes the stock market more dangerous," the press release stated. "A small tax would make risky HFT unprofitable, and help reduce the excess speculation on commodities like food and gas that drives up prices, which will protect the economy from computer-generated collapses and market manipulation."

Sanders, who is the only candidate so far to mount a formal challenge to Democrat Hillary Clinton, argues that making college tuition-free will help America compete in the global marketplace. "We live in a highly competitive global economy and, if our economy is to be strong, we need the best-educated work force in the world," the Vermont senator said in a press release on Sunday. "That will not happen if, every year, hundreds of thousands of bright young people cannot afford to go to college, and if millions more leave school deeply in debt."

Again. This is a political stunt headed into a campaign seasion, not really about a bill expected to pass Congress.

Again. This is a political stunt headed into a campaign season, not really about a bill expected to pass Congress.

The difference between this and most other campaign stunts is Bernie actually means what he says. He's probably the most consistent politician we have. Yeah, it's unlikely to pass, but Bernie wants people to know what he stands for and I'm going to do my part to help him.

I would be alright if, on the state level, college/university was made free for those who excelled academically (3.5 GPA or higher). I would not support "free" tertiary education for those who slacked-off in secondary school. I'm also not a fan of taxpayer money going towards some students' art history degree or any degree with an incredibly low ROI.

Bernie Sanders Wants to Tax Stock Trades to Pay for Free College - Bloomberg Politics

Bernie Sanders wants to take from the rich in order to make public college tuition-free for everyone else. On Tuesday, Sanders will hold a press conference in the nation's capital at which he will introduce a plan to use a so-called Robin Hood tax on stock transactions to fund tuition at four-year public colleges and universities. Sanders' bill sets a 50-cent tax on every "$100 of stock trades on stock sales, and lesser amounts on transactions involving bonds, derivatives, and other financial instruments," the group Robin Hood Tax on Wall Street said Monday in a press release. "The Robin Hood tax would also slow the growth of automated high frequency trading, which makes the stock market more dangerous," the press release stated. "A small tax would make risky HFT unprofitable, and help reduce the excess speculation on commodities like food and gas that drives up prices, which will protect the economy from computer-generated collapses and market manipulation."

Sanders, who is the only candidate so far to mount a formal challenge to Democrat Hillary Clinton, argues that making college tuition-free will help America compete in the global marketplace. "We live in a highly competitive global economy and, if our economy is to be strong, we need the best-educated work force in the world," the Vermont senator said in a press release on Sunday. "That will not happen if, every year, hundreds of thousands of bright young people cannot afford to go to college, and if millions more leave school deeply in debt."

more theft from the left go figure.
typical liberal mantra take what doesn't belong to you and give it to someone else.

you realize the havoc this would wreck on 401k's and other things?
nope but it is a feel good thing full of emotion and little reason.

The difference between this and most other campaign stunts is Bernie actually means what he says. He's probably the most consistent politician we have. Yeah, it's unlikely to pass, but Bernie wants people to know what he stands for and I'm going to do my part to help him.

I don't buy it. The potential political ramifications of going further left than Hillary is trying to paint herself has campaign benefits. And if Sanders was really passionate about this he would have gone after some initiative along these lines a long way back. The man has been in office going back to the 102nd Congressional House.

No chance of passing. Mainly a symbolic gestrue. I still support it 100%

I don't necessarily agree that paying for free college is the best use of the funds, but I strongly support a tax on stock trades for the reasons stated in Sander's press release "The Robin Hood tax would also slow the growth of automated high frequency trading, which makes the stock market more dangerous," the press release stated. "A small tax would make risky HFT unprofitable, and help reduce the excess speculation on commodities like food and gas that drives up prices, which will protect the economy from computer-generated collapses and market manipulation."

No chance of passing. Mainly a symbolic gestrue. I still support it 100%

most liberals do support taking money from other people. yet when it comes to their own money it's hands off.

better idea to tax investment income as income above a cap.

If there is one thing that makes a bubble better - it's inflating it even more. Well done, Barney Bernie Franks Sanders.

most liberals do support taking money from other people. yet when it comes to their own money it's hands off.

Oh yea... Its just the "liberals"

or, we could send the kids to college without turning them into paupers in the process.

Yes indeed. If there is anything we know about a guy with a masters in sociology and a solid job working part time as a barista at Starbucks, it's that they needn't fear lacking high-pay ever again!

So liberals don't trade in the stock market?

then they can donate their stock trades. that is the cool thing about freedom supposedly.

and you can send your money here.

View attachment 67184455

or, we could send the kids to college without turning them into paupers in the process.

strawman/ diversion argument.
IE you mentioned my money hands off and no I won't send my own money.

you see I went to school, have 2 college degree's and worked my way up to where I am now.

maybe if other people applied themselves a bit then can do the same.

Oh yea... Its just the "liberals"

name another group other than liberals that think taking other peoples money should be allowed?

I gave you the link you can send your own money to the treasury. I think the department of education has their own
as well.

better yet you guys can all donate to a scholarship fund with your own money.

Back
Top Bottom