• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bernie Sanders to introduce bill to make college tuition-free

Anomalism

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
It will inevitably be shut down because big money interests are more important than educating our youth.

Bernie Sanders to Introduce Bill to Make College Tuition-Free - Bloomberg Politics

Democratic presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders will introduce legislation on Tuesday to make public college tuition-free in the United States. "We live in a highly competitive global economy and, if our economy is to be strong, we need the best-educated work force in the world. That will not happen if, every year, hundreds of thousands of bright young people cannot afford to go to college, and if millions more leave school deeply in debt," the Vermont senator and presidential candidate said in a statement released Sunday. The plan will provide tuition-free higher education to students at four-year colleges, the statement said, and is modeled after the way many European nations handle the costs of college. "Countries like Germany, Denmark, Sweden and many more are providing free or inexpensive higher education for their young people," Sanders said in the statement. "They understand how important it is to be investing in their youth. We should be doing the same."

The move could put added pressure on Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton, who has yet to release her plan for higher education. A few weeks ago, campaign manager Robby Mook used the phrase "debt-free college," when discussing the issues important to young people, but Clinton has not yet said whether or not that would be a part of her plan. Sanders's move could stack this issue on top of the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal as another issue awaiting comment from Clinton, in which more liberal Democrats are herding her to the left. President Obama continues to try and drum up congressional support for his plan to make community college tuition-free. “I want to lower the cost of community college to zero," Obama said earlier this month at Lake Area Technical Institute in Watertown, South Dakota. "We can’t afford to let striving Americans be priced out of the education they need to get ahead.” Sanders's statement said his bill will also seek to "substantially lower student debt and bring down interest rates on college loans."

i think it's safe to say that this probably won't happen anytime soon, but i do support debt free access to post secondary education and job training. a fair compromise is that the student should have to complete the degree or training within a set timeframe to qualify for debt free access.

There are major differences between US 4 year colleges and their European counterparts. College is much more than just academics in the U.S. There are sports and workout facilities and many things that aren't there at Euro universities. Sanders goal is trying to copy an European model but the problem is: the model is for a completely different system. Here's some more differences
"Compared to the European universities, Americans are very, very fortunate to possess their own unique higher-education system.

In Europe, a college education is cheap or even free and offer no frills. In Europe, you won’t find the cute liberal arts colleges where the classes are small and the professors are eager to be mentors. In Europe, classes are typically held lecture-style and professors don’t consider their roles to be mentors. But size alone doesn’t explain the difference. Most Americans
, after all, attend large state schools." http://www.thecollegesolution.com/european-universities-vs-american-universities-we-win/

Obama's community college plan is about 10000x better and more realistic than this.

The devil is in the details , which there is none.

Is this another expense for taxpayers, (i.e. - increase taxes), or will it be balanced by cutting some other program?

He might as well came out and said , "I would like to see ever US citizens have a million dollars, tax free"

That said, I do agree that higher education costs are getting out of hand. I also believe not everyone needs to go to college. Trade schools are equally as important.

Impractical for now, and Sanders knows it. This is not a bill with the intention of becoming law, it is a bill to speak towards a campaign.

It will inevitably be shut down because big money interests are more important than educating our youth.

Bernie Sanders to Introduce*Bill*to Make College Tuition-Free - Bloomberg Politics

Democratic presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders will introduce legislation on Tuesday to make public college tuition-free in the United States. "We live in a highly competitive global economy and, if our economy is to be strong, we need the best-educated work force in the world. That will not happen if, every year, hundreds of thousands of bright young people cannot afford to go to college, and if millions more leave school deeply in debt," the Vermont senator and presidential candidate said in a statement released Sunday. The plan will provide tuition-free higher education to students at four-year colleges, the statement said, and is modeled after the way many European nations handle the costs of college. "Countries like Germany, Denmark, Sweden and many more are providing free or inexpensive higher education for their young people," Sanders said in the statement. "They understand how important it is to be investing in their youth. We should be doing the same."

The move could put added pressure on Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton, who has yet to release her plan for higher education. A few weeks ago, campaign manager Robby Mook used the phrase "debt-free college," when discussing the issues important to young people, but Clinton has not yet said whether or not that would be a part of her plan. Sanders's move could stack this issue on top of the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal as another issue awaiting comment from Clinton, in which more liberal Democrats are herding her to the left. President Obama continues to try and drum up congressional support for his plan to make community college tuition-free. “I want to lower the cost of community college to zero," Obama said earlier this month at Lake Area Technical Institute in Watertown, South Dakota. "We can’t afford to let striving Americans be priced out of the education they need to get ahead.” Sanders's statement said his bill will also seek to "substantially lower student debt and bring down interest rates on college loans."

Just another radical liberal creating an opportunity to label anyone who opposes his plan as wanting young people to fail.

These obvious efforts are getting a bit old.

I don't think college should be free, but clearly college tuition costs have spiraled out of control. I will withhold support or criticism until there is something more concrete here.

That being said, there are ways to immediately help students deal with student debt like lowering interest rates, and making them easier to discharge in bankruptcy. Would like to see that addressed before we look at an education overhaul that will take years to implement.

Back
Top Bottom