• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Belief in white Jesus linked to racism

SNOWFLAKE

Crazy Canuck
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
People who think Jesus Christ was white are more likely to endorse anti-Black attitudes, a new study found, suggesting that belief in white deities works to uphold white supermacy.

For the study, published March 1 in Psychology of Religion and Spirituality, researchers conducted a survey of 179 mostly Christian college students at a midsize private university in the Midwest. The students, over 70% of whom were white, were asked whether, based on personal understanding of Jesus, they thought of him as white, black, something else or unknown.

Using established scales, the survey then measured students' explicit racism, subtle racism, implicit bias, their preferences for hierarchies and their endorsement of colorblind racial ideology - the set of beliefs that deny the effects of racism.

The researchers argued that a Jesus who has the same race as the dominant group helps that dominant group maintain power and legitimacy.

Compared with 95 students who believed Jesus was not white, the 84 students who believed Jesus was white hand more negative explicit ideas about black people, more subtle prejudices, more feelings of warmth toward white people, greater preference for group based hieirarchy, and more insistence that they, essentially, do not see race.

more on the study:

Colorblind racial ideology:

People who think Jesus Christ was white are more likely to endorse anti-Black attitudes, a new study found, suggesting that belief in white deities works to uphold white supermacy.

For the study, published March 1 in Psychology of Religion and Spirituality, researchers conducted a survey of 179 mostly Christian college students at a midsize private university in the Midwest. The students, over 70% of whom were white, were asked whether, based on personal understanding of Jesus, they thought of him as white, black, something else or unknown.

Using established scales, the survey then measured students' explicit racism, subtle racism, implicit bias, their preferences for hierarchies and their endorsement of colorblind racial ideology - the set of beliefs that deny the effects of racism.

The researchers argued that a Jesus who has the same race as the dominant group helps that dominant group maintain power and legitimacy.

Compared with 95 students who believed Jesus was not white, the 84 students who believed Jesus was white hand more negative explicit ideas about black people, more subtle prejudices, more feelings of warmth toward white people, greater preference for group based hieirarchy, and more insistence that they, essentially, do not see race.

more on the study:

Yes we know, this country cannot shake off its racist slavery based past.

Yes we know, this country cannot shake off its racist slavery based past.
neither here nor there, I was raised in Canada, I am an atheist, but when I DID question my religious friends why the man on the cross at their church appeared Caucasian, they were offended I asked the question. SO clearly NOT a purely American issue.

Jesus was of Jewish descent, so what does that tell you?
ummm, Jews are a religion, not a race, so they can be any color (German Jews a good example)
but considering WHERE Jesus was born, how likely is it he would be fair skinned?

ummm, Jews are a religion, not a race, so they can be any color (German Jews a good example)
but considering WHERE Jesus was born, how likely is it he would be fair skinned?
My point exactly...

so, what color was he?

Jesus probably looked like a typical Galilean of the time. Something like this:

_87264971_jesus_bbc.jpg

Compared with 95 students who believed Jesus was not white, the 84 students who believed Jesus was white hand more negative explicit ideas about black people, more subtle prejudices, more feelings of warmth toward white people, greater preference for group based hieirarchy, and more insistence that they, essentially, do not see race. The god of the bible is racist by definition - in his own words.

more on the study:

None of this should come as a surprise to anybody. The overwhelming preponderance of people who identify as "christians" derive their beliefs from 'the bible'. The god of the bible claims that there was/is a "chosen people". That immediately defines an in-group and an out-group. The god of the bible offers no proscription against slavery - the dominance of one superior people over another inferior one. In fact, he commands the war and subjugation of one race over another. Just ask any Canaanite.
The god of the bible is racist by definition - in his own words.

None of this should come as a surprise to anybody. The overwhelming preponderance of people who identify as "christians" derive their beliefs from 'the bible'. The god of the bible claims that there was/is a "chosen people". That immediately defines an in-group and an out-group. The god of the bible offers no proscription against slavery - the dominance of one superior people over another inferior one. In fact, he commands the war and subjugation of one race over another. Just ask any Canaanite.
Being an atheist I am not versed enough in Christianity to dispute your claim, but it does sound very old Testament, I thought Jesus believed in a brotherhood of man, not racial inequality.

Jesus probably looked like a typical Galilean of the time. Something like this:

_87264971_jesus_bbc.jpg
Imagining ANY white pastor putting up that image, and he would be crucified himself

Where's the link to that published study?

You need a study to tell you that people who ascribe their own color to their diety tend to be more prejudiced than those who don’t?

If you’re willing to fund that study I’ll make it happen

Imagining ANY white pastor putting up that image, and he would be crucified himself

Looking at older images of Christ in European churches, such as the one below from the 3rd century, show him with dark short hair and a typical Middle Eastern appearance. This depiction would also probably get a North American pastor in trouble.

Good_shepherd_02b_close.jpg

Being an atheist I am not versed enough in Christianity to dispute your claim, but it does sound very old Testament, I thought Jesus believed in a brotherhood of man, not racial inequality.
What you're describing is the schizophrenic, or at the very least, capricious "one god", who changes his mind between the OT and the NT.

You need a study to tell you that people who ascribe their own color to their diety tend to be more prejudiced than those who don’t?

If you’re willing to fund that study I’ll make it happen
So you agree with the study posted?

Looking at older images of Christ in European churches, such as the one below from the 3rd century, show him with dark short hair and a typical Middle Eastern appearance. This depiction would also probably get a North American pastor in trouble.

Good_shepherd_02b_close.jpg
AMEN!

Whoa! He looks EXACTLY like the guy who lives three houses down from me. Has he finally returned as promised????? And why does he mow his own lawn?
He is keeping low key till the day of Judgement.

Not nearly as much facial detail as the bas relief face of Zeus that actually appeared on coins from the period.

What you're describing is the schizophrenic, or at the very least, capricious "one god", who changes his mind between the OT and the NT.
I thought we were talking about Jesus. God on the other hand and I have had some very interesting conversations, She has made it clear to me she views humankind with the same sense of irony as I do.

Back
Top Bottom