• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Belgian police officer drew his weapon on Ye and his body guard.

Peter King

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
During the sweltering hot days of this summer the police were warned that 2 suspicious men in full masks were walking in a street in the Belgian city of Wijnegem, close to Antwerpen. Ye and his security guard were walking around with full covering masks (I assume like he was seen just recently seen wearing). It was very suspicious as masking was not needed anymore and they were walking in the sweltering heat with such a mask so a police officer ordered them to unmask, when this was not done (the police thinks due to not understanding Dutch) so the officer drew his weapon.

Kanye claimed the officer pointed his gun at him, but the police said this was not accurate, the officer held the gun in a low ready position, meaning according to the Dutch newspaper that the officer drew his gun but held him in a 45 degree angle and not pointed at the 2 men.

The misunderstanding was soon resolved. The police was not aware that the singer had purchased a home in the region and would be walking around like an idiot (sorry, not sorry, but if you walk around with a full mask you look like an idiot during the sweltering heat).

Kanye thought (according to the Dutch newspaper) as described by himself during his podcast that his life was over at that moment. But now he can laugh about the incident.

Well, here are my 2 cents, if you walk around like a criminal at the height of summer with a full mask and when asked in Dutch to do something, you make it known to the officer that you are American and cannot understand what he said and would he please ask it in English. Then the officer would not (most likely) not have drawn his gun.

The police was not aware that the singer had purchased a home in the region and would be walking around like an idiot (sorry, not sorry, but if you walk around with a full mask you look like an idiot during the sweltering heat).
There are a lot of people in America who walk around all day with masks on.

Not that I disagree with your assessment.

There are a lot of people in America who walk around all day with masks on.

Not that I disagree with your assessment.
People in the US walk around like this?

E0MVUTKXoAAeye0.jpg

E0MVZDLWYAEFtm-.jpg
Kanye-West-wears-a-ghostly-mask-in-Italy.jpg

Hmm, maybe he is planning to run for President again.

Buying a home near Antwerp, eh? I hope that's because of his fondness for de Koninck beer and not anything else the place is awash with. I'd like to think what actually happened was the policeman put his gun to Ye's head and encouraged him to get back to making half-decent records.

Buying a home near Antwerp, eh? I hope that's because of his fondness for de Koninck beer and not anything else the place is awash with. I'd like to think what actually happened was the policeman put his gun to Ye's head and encouraged him to get back to making half-decent records.
Since when has he ever made a decent record? Or even half decent?

Who is this "Ye"?

I thought "ye" meant "you".

And who is "Kanye".

I first read "Kayn" like in Citizen Cane.

Is that him?

Ye (/jeɪ/; born Kanye Omari West, June 8, 1977), commonly known by his former name Kanye West (/ˈkɑːnjeɪ/), is an American rapper, record producer, and fashion designer.[3][4][5] Born in Atlanta and raised in Chicago, West gained recognition as a producer for Roc-A-Fella Records in the early 2000s, producing singles for several popular artists and developing a distinctive sampling style known as "chipmunk soul." Intent on pursuing a solo career as a rapper, West released his debut album, The College Dropout (2004), to critical and commercial success, and founded the record label GOOD Music.

Fortunately I have never heard of him.

During the sweltering hot days of this summer the police were warned that 2 suspicious men in full masks were walking in a street in the Belgian city of Wijnegem, close to Antwerpen. Ye and his security guard were walking around with full covering masks (I assume like he was seen just recently seen wearing). It was very suspicious as masking was not needed anymore and they were walking in the sweltering heat with such a mask so a police officer ordered them to unmask, when this was not done (the police thinks due to not understanding Dutch) so the officer drew his weapon.

Kanye claimed the officer pointed his gun at him, but the police said this was not accurate, the officer held the gun in a low ready position, meaning according to the Dutch newspaper that the officer drew his gun but held him in a 45 degree angle and not pointed at the 2 men.

The misunderstanding was soon resolved. The police was not aware that the singer had purchased a home in the region and would be walking around like an idiot (sorry, not sorry, but if you walk around with a full mask you look like an idiot during the sweltering heat).

Kanye thought (according to the Dutch newspaper) as described by himself during his podcast that his life was over at that moment. But now he can laugh about the incident.

Well, here are my 2 cents, if you walk around like a criminal at the height of summer with a full mask and when asked in Dutch to do something, you make it known to the officer that you are American and cannot understand what he said and would he please ask it in English. Then the officer would not (most likely) not have drawn his gun.

Why can't anyone walk around in public with a full-face mask on?

Several things in his defence - "sweltering heat" is relative especially if you live somewhere even hotter. After 3 years in the tropics, I came back to the UK in "sweltering heat" and went to an interview wearing a jumper and coat throughout. My interviewers were in short sleeve shirts, amused at how cold I was. I got the job but it took another 3-4 years before I wasn't wearing my coat throughout summer.
Masks - even full face ones - looking suspicious is not the same as acting suspicious. This sounded like police being thought-police. I'd like to have seen a record of what actual suspicious acts the guy and his bodyguard were doing. Belgium has a burqa ban but that targets muslims - did the guy look like a muslim? Did he look like an oppressed muslim female?
Acting like an idiot - it's well known that Kanye has mental health issues. Like his talent or not - if he wasn't anywhere near as rich as he is, his mental health would have led to his gun shooting in America if he lived in one of the sink slums. I'm sad that Dutch police have sunk to the US level of getting weapons out rather than de-escalating the situation.

Finally, we just had halloween - will the police order or draw guns on kids running around with full horror masks on?

Several things in his defence - "sweltering heat" is relative especially if you live somewhere even hotter. After 3 years in the tropics, I came back to the UK in "sweltering heat" and went to an interview wearing a jumper and coat throughout. My interviewers were in short sleeve shirts, amused at how cold I was. I got the job but it took another 3-4 years before I wasn't wearing my coat throughout summer.
Masks - even full face ones - looking suspicious is not the same as acting suspicious. This sounded like police being thought-police. I'd like to have seen a record of what actual suspicious acts the guy and his bodyguard were doing. Belgium has a burqa ban but that targets muslims - did the guy look like a muslim? Did he look like an oppressed muslim female?
Acting like an idiot - it's well known that Kanye has mental health issues. Like his talent or not - if he wasn't anywhere near as rich as he is, his mental health would have led to his gun shooting in America if he lived in one of the sink slums. I'm sad that Dutch police have sunk to the US level of getting weapons out rather than de-escalating the situation.

Finally, we just had halloween - will the police order or draw guns on kids running around with full horror masks on?
Well, because this is Europe and most people wearing full face masks (where this is a thing nobody ever sees, or almost never sees except in deep winter when you wear it to protect your face from the cold) are up to no good. If you want to rob a store you wear a mask. When you walk near shops or banks with a full mask, it is highly reasonable that the police goes to check up on this.

And if you had read properly, you would have known it was the police in Belgium, not the Netherlands. And again, he only somewhat escalated it when the fully masked men refused to comply or respond.

NOBODY should walk around anywhere with a full mask on!
That is strictly for bankrobbers and the like ....

"No church in the wild" came out in 2012, so a while.
I am an 80's music fan and a metal/hard rock/rock kind of a guy. I completely dislike anything that has to do with Kanye and his music.

Well, because this is Europe and most people wearing full face masks (where this is a thing nobody ever sees, or almost never sees except in deep winter when you wear it to protect your face from the cold) are up to no good.

Don't care whether it's Europe or America. Balaclavas / Facemasks etc have been worn here for decades. The mask ban in Belgium was mainly against the Burqa and that was for political reasons only. You know this. Did Kanye West look like an oppressed muslim woman? (no) Did he look like a bank robber? (no) Did he do anything that broke any laws? (no)

Did he and his bodyguard at any time look like they were about to rob a bank?

Basically, Belgian police escalated a minor incident. Just like US police tend to do but this was in Europe. For shame.

When you walk near shops or banks with a full mask, it is highly reasonable that the police goes to check up on this.

And pull out a gun on 2 unarmed people? Belgian police must scare easily. Point out anywhere in the report that Kanye or his bodyguard actually did anything remotely suspicious or threatening to anyone else please.

And if you had read properly, you would have known it was the police in Belgium, not the Netherlands.

My mistake doesn't get you out of answering my previous questions in my first post. What suspicious act did these two unarmed Americans commit that deserved a gun being drawn?

he only somewhat escalated it when the fully masked men refused to comply or respond.

The police escalated it. Two unarmed men walking in the street whether masked or not do not deserve guns being drawn on them.

Don't care whether it's Europe or America. Balaclavas / Facemasks etc have been worn here for decades. The mask ban in Belgium was mainly against the Burqa and that was for political reasons only. You know this. Did Kanye West look like an oppressed muslim woman? (no) Did he look like a bank robber? (no) Did he do anything that broke any laws? (no)
Yes, by not unmasking they most likely broke the law. You need to identify yourself if asked. And yes, he may very well have looked like a potential person who would commit a robbery.
Did he and his bodyguard at any time look like they were about to rob a bank?
So the police has to be mind reader now? And yes, fully masked walking around like that does make them look like bank robbers. That is kind of what happens when people walk around in full face masks without any reason to do so.
Basically, Belgian police escalated a minor incident. Just like US police tend to do but this was in Europe. For shame.
Escalated? The escalation happened when Kanye and his body guard did not respond to the command of the police.
And pull out a gun on 2 unarmed people? Belgian police must scare easily. Point out anywhere in the report that Kanye or his bodyguard actually did anything remotely suspicious or threatening to anyone else please.
So again, a police officer needs to be able to have x-ray vision? They could also have been potential terrorists. You do remember that there have been several terrorist incidents in Flanders. Walking around fully masked and not identifying yourself is a potential crime.
My mistake doesn't get you out of answering my previous questions in my first post. What suspicious act did these two unarmed Americans commit that deserved a gun being drawn?\
Wow, now the officer needs to be able to identify the nationality. Belgium must have super cops, be able to have x-ray vision, be able to identify 2 fully masked people as 2 Americans and be able to realize that they have no foul intentions when they did not respond to police commands? So yes, with the terrorist history, the unidentifiable masked men in the middle of summer, the officer took reasonable precautions and when the issue was getting solved he holstered his gun.
The police escalated it. Two unarmed men walking in the street whether masked or not do not deserve guns being drawn on them.
poppycock, there was nothing unreasonable that the officer did. And the gun was drawn, not aimed at them.

And yes, he may very well have looked like a potential person who would commit a robbery.

So the police has to be mind reader now?

Just going to leave those two comments to help you see where your flaw lies. The policeman thinks Kanye looks like a robber. There are no actions that lead to it - he's simply walking down the street looking like a bank robber. That demonstrates that the policeman has made an assumption which is proved wrong. Kanye West also dos not wear ordinary inconspicuous clothing as your own selection in previous posts demonstrates.

So. what kind of bank robber wears highly individual masks and clothes that would draw everyone's attention? Just see if you can work that one out.

fully masked walking around like that does make them look like bank robbers

How exactly? You go google pictures of typical bank robbers caught on CCTV and then google pictures of Kanye West walking around with his mask on.

Escalated? The escalation happened when Kanye and his body guard did not respond to the command of the police.

The policeman could simply have been patient. He could (most European police - especially in the UK) de-escalate. This clearly did not happen.

Walking around fully masked and not identifying yourself is a potential crime.

And again, you throw potential / walking around - where in any part of the story does West walk up to a bank / walk up to a Jewellers / actually do anything suspicious?

All you can show is he is walking around looking like a fool. You have not ever demonstrated that he actually did anything that was suspicious.

Wow, now the officer needs to be able to identify the nationality. Belgium must have super cops, be able to have x-ray vision, be able to identify 2 fully masked people as 2 Americans and be able to realize that they have no foul intentions when they did not respond to police commands? So yes, with the terrorist history, the unidentifiable masked men in the middle of summer, the officer took reasonable precautions and when the issue was getting solved he holstered his gun.

Nationality is nothing to do with it, don't over-act and don't over-react. The policeman decided to intervene and escalated a harmless incident.

poppycock, there was nothing unreasonable that the officer did. And the gun was drawn, not aimed at them.

You'd do well in the USA then where police happily shoot innocent as well as criminal suspects with almost equal ease and lack of conscience.

I am glad the Dutch policeman didn't shoot him, but Kanye West is a blooming idiot. I just reread. I guess I mean Belgian policeman.

Just going to leave those two comments to help you see where your flaw lies. The policeman thinks Kanye looks like a robber. There are no actions that lead to it - he's simply walking down the street looking like a bank robber. That demonstrates that the policeman has made an assumption which is proved wrong. Kanye West also dos not wear ordinary inconspicuous clothing as your own selection in previous posts demonstrates.

So. what kind of bank robber wears highly individual masks and clothes that would draw everyone's attention? Just see if you can work that one out.
You mean like these ones?
mask1.jpgmask2.jpg
mask3.jpg
All pictures of robbers committing their evil crimes (and yes, I call it evil, not about the money but because of the consequences for the staff at these supermarkets/shops.
How exactly? You go google pictures of typical bank robbers caught on CCTV and then google pictures of Kanye West walking around with his mask on.
Can they see it is Kanye behind that mask? No, so don't make nonsensical comments like that.
The policeman could simply have been patient. He could (most European police - especially in the UK) de-escalate. This clearly did not happen.
Were Kanye and his masked bodyguard shot? Nope.
And again, you throw potential / walking around - where in any part of the story does West walk up to a bank / walk up to a Jewellers / actually do anything suspicious?

All you can show is he is walking around looking like a fool. You have not ever demonstrated that he actually did anything that was suspicious.
nonsense.
Nationality is nothing to do with it, don't over-act and don't over-react. The policeman decided to intervene and escalated a harmless incident.
Nationality in this case had everything to do with it because they did not understand the officer's commands. And he decided to intervene because that is literally his job.
You'd do well in the USA then where police happily shoot innocent as well as criminal suspects with almost equal ease and lack of conscience.
More nonsense I see, based on your baseless views.

I am glad the Dutch policeman didn't shoot him, but Kanye West is a blooming idiot. I just reread. I guess I mean Belgian policeman.
Well, it is a bit silly as the Belgian officers in that region speak Dutch/Flemish.

Back
Top Bottom