• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BBC Modi Documentary

multivita-man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Police in riot gear blocked students from entering a university in India's capital Wednesday to stop a scheduled screening of a BBC documentary about Prime Minister Narendra Modi that has been banned in the country. At least four people were reportedly detained by police, including officers in plain clothes, at Jamia Milia Islamia University.

I must confess, I did not realize just much of a thing this was in India. Narendra Modi, Hindu nationalist leader and president of India, had a documentary apparently exposing his role in pro-HN riots and now that he's the big cheese, he ain't havin' it in his country.

I guess I'm fascinated b/c India is rapidly rising as a world power, and at the same time, its democracy, however imperfect it might have been, is backsliding and consolidating under Hindu Nationalist rule.

I guess I'm fascinated b/c India is rapidly rising as a world power, and at the same time, its democracy, however imperfect it might have been, is backsliding and consolidating under Hindu Nationalist rule.

If democracy could at least support itself, and keep people like Modi in check, that would be something. But it sucks so bad that it can't even do that.

Imagine a world in which there are no Himalayan Mountains to keep India and China from being constantly at war with each other.

Now everyone will want to see it.

That was stupid.

If democracy could at least support itself, and keep people like Modi in check, that would be something. But it sucks so bad that it can't even do that.

That’s the fatal flaw of democracy. People who disagree with you get to vote too.

That’s the fatal flaw of democracy. People who disagree with you get to vote too.

I think it has more to do with the type of person attracted to government. It's a person who by definition wants political power over other people. So you end up with a democratic government filled with control freaks who literally desire ruling over other people. Nothing good can come from that.

I don't know that there is a form of government proven to keep people like Modi in check.

I think it has more to do with the type of person attracted to government. It's a person who by definition wants political power over other people. So you end up with a democratic government filled with control freaks who literally desire ruling over other people. Nothing good can come from that.
It's just that every other form tried is worse.

41XkQoKgFTL._SY780_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom