• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Australian Comedian Isaac Butterfield Summoned To Court Over “Offensive” Joke

Whilst I agree about being extremely careful about any level of censorship, we have to recognize that there are too many people in this world who aren't capable of "censoring him myself"
Maybe they're people who don't want to censor him themselves? Other people not wanting to censor him themselves is not a reason to have the State do it for them.
and use this type of speech as validation of their own warped ideals.
Maybe your ideas are warped.
The advent of social media giving any man and his dog a potential mass public presence for whatever hate/distortion/lie/deception they are pushing has (imo) made censorship a much bigger and more complex problem than it has ever been.
Maybe your ability to do that is a bigger problem than it has been.
Imo what is missing is any sort of responsibility for the harm that gets caused.
By you.
If the people pushing the hate etc could get held accountable for any harm they cause (directly or indirectly) those people would be much more circumspect about what they publish.
This comedian, in your mind, caused "harm" by telling his jokes? Harm that must require him to be "held accountable?" That's what you think?

What "harm" do you imagine was caused? How would you suggest he be "held accountable?"
Right now they can cause massive harm and face no consequences, so govts are trying to find the balance between 'free speech' and suitable censorship. There is no easy or 100% correct answer to this yet.
You cause the same harm by your dopey ideas.

Ishm said:
You're talking about 2 countries I've lived in. Have you got reliable data to show that 1000's are being arrested annually for "speech violations"?

Its been an ongoing thing.

Spot on Vance, & I've lived in one of those countries for over 25 years, & I can attest that Free Speech is not something you can ever take for granted. One slip, in front of the wrong mob, & yer in for it....from both the Lefties & the cops. Bloody Strewth!

Last edited:
Spot on Vance, & I've lived in one of those countries for over 25 years, & I can attest that Free Speech is not something you can ever take for granted. One slip, in front of the wrong mob, & yer in for it....from both the Lefties & the cops. Bloody Strewth!
its bad and getting worse.

This is one of the very disturbing things I see regularly on this site. People ask for evidence of claims. I hesitate to post the evidence because Im pretty sure the people saying they want evidence actually dont give a **** about the evidence...and when they are handed the evidence it is invariably the seam...they either try to find a way to discredit the source...or they just run from the thread. Ive yet to see a single one of them be presented with evidence on a subject they support and then realize they are wrong and change their mind.

And so because so many of them blindly march on supporting the rhetoric and cause...the anti-freedom efforts will expand...with them cheering along on the sidelines.

Back
Top Bottom