• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Australian Comedian Isaac Butterfield Summoned To Court Over “Offensive” Joke

MrNiceGuy

Symbiotic Pnemonic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Australian comedian Isaac Butterfield announced he has been summoned to “court” over offensive jokes told during a performances in Perth, Western Australia in 2022.

The Queensland Human Rights Commission requested Butterfield’s presence after a single person made a complaint on the grounds of public vilification based on race, religion, sexual identity, sexuality and gender identity.
In a matter of hours, he had reportedly received countless threats of death and other physical violence.

The offended party also viewed Butterfield’s routine on social media. According to the complaint, the individual was “traumatized” and made to feel “unsafe” by the comedian’s comments.
Bwahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahhahaha! Oh, you feel "unsafe" because a comedian you watched on a video told a joke you didn't like? Go eff yourself, shitball.

Bwahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahhahaha! Oh, you feel "unsafe" because a comedian you watched on a video told a joke you didn't like? Go eff yourself, shitball.
I watched the video.... Wasn't offended... He's a good comedian.
I don't see a problem.

This is the way the world is going, as this kind of thing is creeping further and further into western culture. Until Progressives stand up for liberal principles again, we aren't going to stop this. I expect this crap from religious conservatives, who traditionally wanted to stop blasphemous shows and such, and would be in favor of jailing comedians for profanity, like Lenny Bruce and George Carlin. But, the trouble is, now, Progressives who actually claim to be "liberal" (but arent') are all about using the machinery of the State to silence the infidel.

This is the way the world is going, as this kind of thing is creeping further and further into western culture. Until Progressives stand up for liberal principles again, we aren't going to stop this. I expect this crap from religious conservatives, who traditionally wanted to stop blasphemous shows and such, and would be in favor of jailing comedians for profanity, like Lenny Bruce and George Carlin. But, the trouble is, now, Progressives who actually claim to be "liberal" (but arent') are all about using the machinery of the State to silence the infidel.
I'm petrified about the impact of Australian comedians on the world. It was wise of you to bring this to our attention so we can be prepared.

I'm petrified about the impact of Australian comedians on the world. It was wise of you to bring this to our attention so we can be prepared.
Oh, you came to the "Australia and Oceania" subsection of the forum looking for something that didn't have to do with Australia or Ocieania? Yeah, that makes sense. I realize that you probably came here looking for topics that applied to the entire world and were of prime importance, like "Breaking News" because you would expect to find that in the subform about "Australia." Isn't that right?

I realize that the only things you post about on this form are things that have monumental impact on the entire world, and you would never ever ever discuss a topic which was either more local to a particular country, or of interest to those who are interested in a particular topic, right?

Also, I mean, yeah, it's a big non-issue. A western democracy using a "human rights commission" to "investigate" human rights violations associated with jokes told by a comedian at a comedy show.... I mean, that's a big nothing. It's only Australia, amiright?

Oh, you came to the "Australia and Oceania" subsection of the forum looking for something that didn't have to do with Australia or Ocieania? Yeah, that makes sense. I realize that you probably came here looking for topics that applied to the entire world and were of prime importance, like "Breaking News" because you would expect to find that in the subform about "Australia." Isn't that right?

I realize that the only things you post about on this form are things that have monumental impact on the entire world, and you would never ever ever discuss a topic which was either more local to a particular country, or of interest to those who are interested in a particular topic, right?

Also, I mean, yeah, it's a big non-issue. A western democracy using a "human rights commission" to "investigate" human rights violations associated with jokes told by a comedian at a comedy show.... I mean, that's a big nothing. It's only Australia, amiright?
breathe

LOL, when you fall flat on your face, that would be your response.

So ridiculous to come here to b!tch about the thread, opened in the Australia sub-forum, because it relates to an issue in Australia.

You are apparently of the ilk that likes to derail threads like this - about free speech for what you folks don't like - but you may want to just comment on threads you're interested in, rather than go around policing other threads.

Luckily American non- comedians can put Adolf Hitler in their newsletter and on their website and there are no repercussions.

LOL, when you fall flat on your face, that would be your response.

So ridiculous to come here to b!tch about the thread, opened in the Australia sub-forum, because it relates to an issue in Australia.

You are apparently of the ilk that likes to derail threads like this - about free speech for what you folks don't like - but you may want to just comment on threads you're interested in, rather than go around policing other threads.
:ROFLMAO:

Luckily American non- comedians can put Adolf Hitler in their newsletter and on their website and there are no repercussions.
Nor should there be. The local library also has copies of Mein Kampf, Mao's Red Book, and the Communist Manifesto. So?

Australia can run their government any way they choose. They're literally on the other side of the planet and don't answer to us.

Nor should there be. The local library also has copies of Mein Kampf, Mao's Red Book, and the Communist Manifesto. So?
oh, don't get me wrong. i love when the Klan/Nazis expose themselves.

it's easier that way.

it's just a shame that 100% of our population doesn't ostracize them. and that many appear to be American Christians.

oh, don't get me wrong. i love when the Klan/Nazis expose themselves.

it's easier that way.

it's just a shame that 100% of our population doesn't ostracize them. and that many appear to be American Christians.
I don't know where you live or where you see this, but I have never seen or met anyone who doesn't reject "The Klan/Nazis." I have no doubt that members of the Klan consider themselves Christian, but that's a far cry from saying that American Christiasn somehwo support the flippin' Klan.

You can't ever say that "100% of our population" will oppose anything. I mean, we have unsavory people - Nazis, Klan folks, Antifa/anarchists, Communists, Black Nationalists/Nation of Islam, etc. etc. etc. etc. - but these are very small groups. The vast majority of the population reject these folks

Australia can run their government any way they choose. They're literally on the other side of the planet and don't answer to us.
The US can run its government any way it chooses. What's the point? There are subsections of this website for discussions about any country in the world and their politics, etc. The US isn't the only relevant country in the world.

The US can run its government any way it chooses. What's the point? There are subsections of this website for discussions about any country in the world and their politics, etc. The US isn't the only relevant country in the world.
Sure. What I'm trying to say is that nobody cares.

The more pressing matter is how Aussies don't talk English gooder.

The left is totalitarian and anti-democratic, that’s why they set up these revolutionary tribunals to punish people who mock them.

So far in the US we don’t have the committee of public safety style tribunals yet, but they really want them.

I love comedians that are funny. There's plenty out there. He's not. He's just a massive asshole.

Anyone who makes jokes about mass murders and victims and admits that he did it to be deliberately offensive is a pig.

I'm quite capable of censoring him myself. I don't want anyone to do it for me.

I love comedians that are funny. There's plenty out there. He's not. He's just a massive asshole.

Anyone who makes jokes about mass murders and victims and admits that he did it to be deliberately offensive is a pig.

I'm quite capable of censoring him myself. I don't want anyone to do it for me.
Whilst I agree about being extremely careful about any level of censorship, we have to recognize that there are too many people in this world who aren't capable of "censoring him myself" and use this type of speech as validation of their own warped ideals. The advent of social media giving any man and his dog a potential mass public presence for whatever hate/distortion/lie/deception they are pushing has (imo) made censorship a much bigger and more complex problem than it has ever been. Imo what is missing is any sort of responsibility for the harm that gets caused. If the people pushing the hate etc could get held accountable for any harm they cause (directly or indirectly) those people would be much more circumspect about what they publish. Right now they can cause massive harm and face no consequences, so govts are trying to find the balance between 'free speech' and suitable censorship. There is no easy or 100% correct answer to this yet.

You can laugh...but already places like Canada, Australia, and England are arresting people by the hundreds and even thousands annually for speech violations. And its only going to get worse.

You can laugh...but already places like Canada, Australia, and England are arresting people by the hundreds and even thousands annually for speech violations. And its only going to get worse.
You're talking about 2 countries I've lived in. Have you got reliable data to show that 1000's are being arrested annually for "speech violations"?

Back
Top Bottom