• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

At Protests, Guns Are Doing the Talking

I oppose carry laws, and support much stricter gun laws in general.
I'm very used to strict carry laws having lived in NJ for the past 12 years and then in Philadelphia area for more than a decade before that. You just don't see much open carry (or even conceal carry) in either area because of strict carry laws (PA carry laws have a special category for Philadelphia..so there is very little open carry there and limited conceal carry)

Isn't open carry for the entire point of intimidation?

Isn't that what people say - that carrying a gun is MEANT TO BE a deterrent?

If it is meant to deter...the then point is intimidation.
In civilized countries sane people don't require that kinda deterrent.

In civilized countries sane people don't require that kinda deterrent.
I'd venture to say that civilized people don't feel the need to walk around daily with a means to murder people strapped on their hip or slung over their shoulder.

I'm very used to strict carry laws having lived in NJ for the past 12 years and then in Philadelphia area for more than a decade before that. You just don't see much open carry (or even conceal carry) in either area because of strict carry laws (PA carry laws have a special category for Philadelphia..so there is very little open carry there and limited conceal carry)
Don't be surprised when New Jersey and Pennsylvania carry laws get overturned. Any government issued license or permit for any constitutionally-protected right is an infringement, which is specifically prohibited by the Second Amendment.

I oppose carry laws, and support much stricter gun laws in general.
As do all sane people brought up civilized.
My point is just because they can carry them doesn't mean they have to.
oh, they have to. It's about self worth to them. A phallic symbol on display.
Clue, the kind of women this attracts are not the kind anyone fights over.

Don't be surprised when New Jersey and Pennsylvania carry laws get overturned. Any government issued license or permit for any constitutionally-protected right is an infringement, which is specifically prohibited by the Second Amendment.

So don't be surprised when people start advocating for a constitutional amendment rejecting the 2nd amendment.

I'd venture to say that civilized people don't feel the need to walk around daily with a means to murder people strapped on their hip or slung over their shoulder.
Paraphrase of what I just said.

I've spent time in a number of places where you do need to be armed to go out for a pack of smokes (if there's even anyplace left to buy one) and believe me, we do not want to see that here.

I reckon the OP is right. I suppose it IS fair to say that conservatives oppose the pedo-grooming leftists goal of targeting children for their disgusting and perverted ends, opposes the butchering of unborn babies, and opposes a known Marxist movement that uses black people and the disaster the rat party has done to their community for political and finanical gain.

"A New York Times analysis of more than 700 armed demonstrations found that, at about 77 percent of them, people openly carrying guns represented right-wing views, such as opposition to L.G.B.T.Q. rights and abortion access, hostility to racial justice rallies and support for former President Donald J. Trump’s lie of winning the 2020 election.

Others argue that openly carrying firearms at public gatherings, particularly when there is no obvious self-defense reason, can have a corrosive effect, leading to curtailed activities, suppressed opinions or public servants who quit out of fear and frustration. Concerned about armed protesters, local election officials in Arizona, Colorado and Oregon have requested bulletproofing for their offices. Adam Searing, a lawyer and Georgetown University professor who helps families secure access to health care, said he saw the impact on free speech when people objecting to Covid restrictions used guns to make their point. In some states, disability rights advocates were afraid to show up to support mask mandates because of armed opposition, Mr. Searing said.

Across the country, there is evidence of increasing Republican involvement in militias. A membership list for the Oath Keepers, made public last year, includes 81 elected officials or candidates, according to a report by the Anti-Defamation League. Most of them appear to be Republicans. Another nationwide militia, the American Patriots Three Percent, recently told prospective members that it worked to support “individuals seeking election to local G.O.P. boards,” according to an archived version of its website."

Link

A couple of issues here that are linked.

1. The pillar of a democratic society is the right to speak and assemble to hear ideas. Our hope is that logical arguments will carry the day. Words are the weapons and my opponent has an equal right to them. Armed protesters and rally goers announce that words have failed and they replace them with force and intimidation.

2. The Republican Party supports guns at protests and rallies. Many of them feel the 2nd Amendment gives them the right to political violence. They have allowed armed militias to be part of their party. They also mingle with Neo-Nazis. This is a very disturbing situation.
January 20th, 2020, approximately 22,000 armed protesters, held a peaceful rally in Richmond Virginia to protest proposed gun laws. Zero violence, and only one arrest (ironically for wearing a mask). Probably most were Republicans.

So the mere presence of guns did not lead to violence, nor was anyone intimidated or threatened. And yes, one incident is enough to demonstrate that armed protests do not necessarily lead to bad things.

They can, of course, but that’s down to intent and the individuals.

They will be as will NT's 100 year old laws.

Just as teh conservative court hurt American during the depression, this one is doing so today.

Here in Kansas anyone can carry concealed or open. It's not at all unusual to see a guy in a grocery store with a pistol on his hip and if you know how to look there's plenty of poorly concealed ones as well. I keep a close eye on these lunatics.

Isn't open carry for the entire point of intimidation?

Isn't that what people say - that carrying a gun is MEANT TO BE a deterrent?

If it is meant to deter...the then point is intimidation.
This is not intimidation:
BLM Armed #3.jpg

But this certainly is:
This is war.png
Berkley.jpg

January 20th, 2020, approximately 22,000 armed protesters, held a peaceful rally in Richmond Virginia to protest proposed gun laws. Zero violence, and only one arrest (ironically for wearing a mask). Probably most were Republicans.

So the mere presence of guns did not lead to violence, nor was anyone intimidated or threatened. And yes, one incident is enough to demonstrate that armed protests do not necessarily lead to bad things.

The presence of the guns was itself intimidation and an implied threat. They don't have to be pointing them at people to make it a threat.

I reckon the OP is right. I suppose it IS fair to say that conservatives oppose the pedo-grooming leftists goal of targeting children for their disgusting and perverted ends, opposes the butchering of unborn babies, and opposes a known Marxist movement that uses black people and the disaster the rat party has done to their community for political and finanical gain.

This is nothing but flat out hate speech.

Disturbing, potentially violence inciting hate speech.

Quick question, were you at church when you wrote this?

Whoa, Kool-Aid overdose!!!

The presence of the guns was itself intimidation and an implied threat. They don't have to be pointing them at people to make it a threat.
No one reported being intimidated or threatened, that I have seen. Some of the laws were passed, some weren’t.

Here in Kansas anyone can carry concealed or open. It's not at all unusual to see a guy in a grocery store with a pistol on his hip and if you know how to look there's plenty of poorly concealed ones as well. I keep a close eye on these lunatics.
Yeah, I know that carrying is much more prevalent in other places. It is just SO weird and creepy. Like...you planning on a shoot out in the dairy aisle? I do not get it.

This protest?

The one these guys were attending?

No one reported being intimidated or threatened, that I have seen. Some of the laws were passed, some weren’t.

Were guns allowed on capitol square?

Back
Top Bottom