• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"Ask not what your country can do for you ..."

It was a more eloquent version of "speak softly, but carry a big stick."

That big stick was a nuclear arsenal in the 1960s; became two gargantuan nuclear arsenals in the 1980s; we drastically reduced the two nuclear arsenals some years after that; but we still have two massive and massively stupid nuclear arsenals; and a few others are trying to be members of the big idiots club.

The obvious solution is to abolish all nuclear weapons. The "but they won't" reason given for not abolishing all nuclear weapons is bogus.

So you would support the US unilaterally abolishing its nuclear arsenal and just hoping hostile foreign nuclear powers don’t keep theirs and use them against us?

I was with somewhat with you till the end. I don't buy the 'human nature sucks' bit. No, most human nature is good or not horrible.

For the last part: The overwhelming majority of nations aren't misbehaving. The USG allowing free speech and dissent (to an extent) doesn't negate the fact that the USG's "we're good world cops" behaviors use barbarity and the threat of barbarity.

I'd rather the USG stop fomenting barbarity; stop selling barbaric weapons; stop propagandizing that barbarity is justice; etc; etc.

A significant part of the USG is a military machine. Federal income tax revenue pays a significant part of that. American workers are used to fund the world's largest military machine. I wish my federal income tax money was going toward positive solutions instead of perpetuating very negative problems.

There are good solutions.

I agree that human nature tends to lean to the good rather than the bad but fear, greed, misunderstandings, blindness-by-choice and biases are part of the majority (not the minority). '

and by the way, are you aware that at least 46% of the world's population is in nations that either have tyrants an/or aristocrats? (Russia, China, India, North Korea, Venezuela, Cuba, etc). This means that Democracy has no advantage in the world. This scenario means that the the bad can easily start to overcome the good in the world.

Back
Top Bottom