• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

As An American My Canadian Friends How is Trudeau Doing As Prime Minister

So, how would Alberta be able to transport the oil? It is a question of preserving national unity.
Excessively overpaying by $1.2 billion was far from necessary, even if you did think acquiring the pipeline was necessary for 'preserving national unity' which I find to be a stretch at best.
I agree, but he is better versed on the subject than Mr. Poilievre. Ms. May is the most knowledgeable of the politicians.

That tells me you are not clear on what is going to happen. If we act decisively now, it will be bad. If we don't, it will be very very bad.
A dictatorship by Trudeau specifically is not necessary to take decisive action on climate change, nor should things ever come to that.

Mr. Trudeau's doing great.
Black shoe polish sales are way up.

From last April:

More context:

From last April:

Not a fan of Trudeau, but he's absolutely right to call this out.

This is solely Putin's war in terms of its origins, not America's. Supplying and aiding a country fighting for its very existence or at bare minimum independence does not a proxy war make.

If I vote federally it's for the Liberal Party. Until Trudeau is replaced I got nobody to vote for.
Jagmeet is incontrovertibly better than Trudeau; nearly a decade worth of the latter's scandalized governance has proven as much, even if you don't agree with him on all the issues.

Jagmeet is incontrovertibly better than Trudeau; nearly a decade worth of the latter's scandalized governance has proven as much, even if you don't agree with him on all the issues.
I agree with you on this but a vote for Jagmeet in my district could put the PC candidate in the seat.

I agree with you on this but a vote for Jagmeet in my district could put the PC candidate in the seat.
No worries, I do understand the unfortunate reality of this shitty FPTP situation Trudeau has kept us in.

Just for clarification, it was the NDP that prevented electoral reform by refusing any alternative to FPTP except the proportional representation scam. Please excuse the thread drift but it is important to be accurate.

Just for clarification, it was the NDP that prevented electoral reform by refusing any alternative to FPTP except the proportional representation scam. Please excuse the thread drift but it is important to be accurate.

It is indeed important to be accurate, which is why I'm going to call you out on repeating this easily debunked falsehood.

To the contrary, as I've already clarified in another thread, it was Trudeau who was to blame. This is the person who threw a tantrum and swiftly and unilaterally dumpstered his promises of democratic reform when his own special committee on the matter, which featured a controlling super majority of Liberals and Conservatives (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canad...cial_Committee_on_Electoral_Reform#Membership ), recommended mixed member proportional representation instead of the Runoff Voting he was so clearly angling for that would have blatantly advantaged the Liberals as they're everyone's second choice. Let's not even get into how you malign PR as a 'scam' without any evidence or argument whatsoever, when it already exists as a proven system in other comparable developed countries that feature superior representation and democratic institutions per the Democracy Index, among other metrics.

I don't know how on earth you accord the NDP with responsibility for Trudeau's politically self-serving promise breaking on democratic reform when they were a minority voice on the committee that recommended PR, and its true power lay firmly in the hands of its Liberal and Conservative members.

Last edited:
How would PR work in the Canadian system? In a general election, we have 338 separate elections. Let’s take Kootenay-East as a fictional constituency. When the ballots are counted, Smith receives 4000 votes, Jones gets 3000, Brown gets 2500 votes and Dye gets 500. So, under PR, how do you divide that up? You could divide the sitting days by proportion of votes, but how do you decide the order? How does the Ministry maintain the confidence of the House when the membership is constantly shifting.

It would be better to have run-off elections in constituencies where no candidate received a majority.
We need to find a way to return to a two party system- Liberals and Progressive Conservatives. The splinter parties like the NDP and the Social Credit pull governing away from the centre.

It would be better to have run-off elections in constituencies where no candidate received a majority.
We need to find a way to return to a two party system- Liberals and Progressive Conservatives. The splinter parties like the NDP and the Social Credit pull governing away from the centre.
The PCs are literally our conservative right wing and have nothing to do with the centre (and if you're okay with that, then why are you against its left wing counterpart which indeed is large, old and influential to the point where it can't be rightly called a 'splinter' party?); the Liberals in the meanwhile, despite their claims, appear to be more about self-interested governance than any specific commitment to a political centre given its storied history of scandals since Trudeau hit office.

Moreover the necessity of appealing to the present political centre is a classic bogus argument to moderation fallacy.

Lastly, run off elections are not an adequate stand-in because while better than FPTP they overwhelmingly favour everyone's second choice and are not especially representative or proportional.

How would PR work in the Canadian system? In a general election, we have 338 separate elections. Let’s take Kootenay-East as a fictional constituency. When the ballots are counted, Smith receives 4000 votes, Jones gets 3000, Brown gets 2500 votes and Dye gets 500. So, under PR, how do you divide that up? You could divide the sitting days by proportion of votes, but how do you decide the order? How does the Ministry maintain the confidence of the House when the membership is constantly shifting.
For starters, I just want to note you were caught in a bad faith lie about the NDP being an obstacle to democratic reform and the reason it never happened in Canada when Trudeau was to blame; let's indeed be very clear about that.

As to PR, mixed member proportional representation is likely the best approach; in terms of the specific model I would probably look to either Germany or one of the Scandinavian or Commonwealth implementations which do not feature such ridiculous elements as representative timeshares that you seem to be insinuating is core to the system; that is simply not a thing in PR or MMPR: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed-member_proportional_representation

Last edited:
Okay, how would MMPR work in our fictional riding of Kootenay-East with its four candidates?

Back
Top Bottom