• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Aruba--would you go there?

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I have wanted to go to Aruba for vacation. However, after seeing the way the authorities have treated the whole Natalee Holloway case, I would NEVER give them my patronage.

I'm curious if anyone else feels the same way.

aps said:
I have wanted to go to Aruba for vacation. However, after seeing the way the authorities have treated the whole Natalee Holloway case, I would NEVER give them my patronage.

I'm curious if anyone else feels the same way.
I feel the same way. The veneer of law and order down there seems to be about as flimsy as a Kleenex.

Diogenes said:
I feel the same way. The veneer of law and order down there seems to be about as flimsy as a Kleenex.

:) I am hoping that this whole thing causes them to lose business.

It should cause them to lose business. Tourism is a big part of their economy and they need to treat their customers with more respect.

I once wandered into a rather seedy strip bar, and during the evening there was a bit of a ruckus over on the other side. I saw how the management handled it, and felt comfortable in there ever after knowing that a fair amount of muscle watched from the shadows to make sure I was not disturbed while I peacefully spent my money. The Aruban government could learn a lot from that bar.

Diogenes said:
It should cause them to lose business. Tourism is a big part of their economy and they need to treat their customers with more respect.

I once wandered into a rather seedy strip bar, and during the evening there was a bit of a ruckus over on the other side. I saw how the management handled it, and felt comfortable in there ever after knowing that a fair amount of muscle watched from the shadows to make sure I was not disturbed while I peacefully spent my money. The Aruban government could learn a lot from that bar.

I hear you. Have you been reading up on Nuevo Laredo, Mexico? It's right over the border from Laredo, Texas. My mom was born and raised in that area. I used to LOVE going across the border and going to their little market there and going to the Cadillac Bar (the food is tremendous). Well, people are getting gunned down there (i.e., killed) and kidnapped. My brother (who lives in Laredo) was tied up and robbed at gunpoint. Do the police do anything to stop this crap? NOPE. Nuevo Laredo is suffering tremendously, and it's their own fault. When I go to visit my brother, you can bet I won't be going there.

Isn't Nuevo Laredo the place where the police chief's life expectancy is measured in hours? I agree with the idea that a great big wall, well patrolled, might be a good idea when law and order break down completely on the other side of the border.

Diogenes said:
Isn't Nuevo Laredo the place where the police chief's life expectancy is measured in hours? I agree with the idea that a great big wall, well patrolled, might be a good idea when law and order break down completely on the other side of the border.

agree with u ...;)

Back
Top Bottom