• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Army approves Purple Hearts for soldiers wounded in 2009 Fort Hood shooting

He wasn't a US Soldier at the moment he pulled those guns

No, he was indeed a US Soldier. That is why he was tried in a US military Court Martial, not in a civilian court. If he was not a "US Soldier", then he would have been tried in a US Federal Court.

And no, the "Pentagon" (actually the Department of Defense) did not change it to "workplace violence". The Court Martial itself classified it as such. Nice try though.

"They really didn't have an option," says Silliman, director emeritus of Duke University's Center on Law, Ethics and National Security in Durham, N.C. "He was an active-duty officer. The crime occurred on a military installation. … It was obvious he was going to face a court-martial."

Victims of the shooting rampage filed a lawsuit last year over the administration's decision to treat the incident as workplace violence. They say that designation has robbed them of benefits and made them ineligible to receive the Purple Heart, awarded to service members wounded in battle.
http://tucson.com/news/national/ter...cle_be513c51-a35d-5b4f-b3a0-13654f019ea6.html

Sorry, after having (and still serving) under the UCMJ, your claims hold absolutely no water. Stop looking at this politically and see it for what it actually was. These individuals were not killed by a member of a terrorist organization, they were killed by an individual of questionable mental stability who was wearing the same uniform as they were and simply snapped. And do not even ask me to go into one of the "heroes" who was killed, even though she violated multiple regulations while on deployment.

The Boston bombers didn't holler Allah Akbar while doing their carnage.

umm terorism isnt just muslim extremism,its the use of terror through violence for politcal change.it doesnt matter f they are christian,muslim,jewish,athiest etc,terrorism is terrorism.

the thing that seperates it fom mass murder though is motive,mass murder is often revenge,while terrorism is a campaign of fear for political motives.

he was a terrorist,i was on fort hood when the shooting occured,but on the opposite side of post and was stuck on lockdown.some people in my unit were at the site when it happened,and had to go through alot of counseling and therapy for it.infact some people in my old unit and the neighboring units dealt with him prior to the event,and claimed he was crazy beforehand.

ofcourse the army does little to nothing against officers.atleast then they didnt.now if someone says officer xyz is a loose screw,they pay closer attention to them.as far as his terrorist tie,i dobt anyone who dealt with him knew about them,but ofcourse the evidence is in black and white,and it was clearly a terrorist attack.

And I do feel sorry for you.

Remember FTW, I have absolutely no political input in this. I am not and never would say people have and are not suffering because of this. But this arbitrary and questionably political move I find distasteful and of poor character. And giving individuals a medal for a shooting conducted by a US servicemember with no connection to any terrorist organization (other then following a radical cleric) to be nothing but an attempt to hush people up to the failings of those in power to how they are treating certain incidents.

And should the individuals killed and wounded in the Little Rock shooting also get Purple Hearts? What about the 2 killed and 14 wounded when an Army Sergeant in Kuwait threw a grenade into a tent then started shooting those who survived the blast?

And I do feel sorry for you.

Remember FTW, I have absolutely no political input in this. I am not and never would say people have and are not suffering because of this. But this arbitrary and questionably political move I find distasteful and of poor character. And giving individuals a medal for a shooting conducted by a US servicemember with no connection to any terrorist organization (other then following a radical cleric) to be nothing but an attempt to hush people up to the failings of those in power to how they are treating certain incidents.

And should the individuals killed and wounded in the Little Rock shooting also get Purple Hearts? What about the 2 killed and 14 wounded when an Army Sergeant in Kuwait threw a grenade into a tent then started shooting those who survived the blast?

in a military standpoint,a purple heart by definition can be a tough call,especially in a non combat zone.as afr as hasan goes,he was definately a terrorist,his motive define such,as well as his connections.as far as everyone who had ever seen him though ,they had only said he was wayy off in the head,and was crazier than the people he was treating.

the question would be if he was classified as a military combatant or just plain crazy,which the latter is well known.i already knew about his court marshal,plus he was held in a texas prison until his court marshal,where when he was convicted,he was shipped to a military prison.but all in all motives define him as a terrorist,the only question would be if hes described as an enemy combatant or not.

the question would be if he was classified as a military combatant or just plain crazy,which the latter is well known.i already knew about his court marshal,plus he was held in a texas prison until his court marshal,where when he was convicted,he was shipped to a military prison.but all in all motives define him as a terrorist,the only question would be if hes described as an enemy combatant or not.

Myself, I classify him as a crazy person.

I have and still do serve with quite a few Muslims. And one in particular one when this happened wished that he (Major Hassan) could be shipped off to Saudi Arabia where he could be beheaded with a sword for what he had done. He was actually afraid for a while after that incident, that some would come after him afraid that because he was a Muslim in the Army that he might snap at any time as well.

I see crazy people as simply crazy people. And shooting up an SRP facility in and of itself was simply crazy. Might as well shoot up a VA facility to protest the war.

But those at Fort Hood were not wounded by "enemy action", they were wounded in what the President himself considers to be a "workplace shooting".

Since when are O-4 Majors/Lieutenant Commanders in the US military considered to be "enemy combatants"? And an Army base in Texas as "enemy territory"?

Nidal Hasan was a terrorist supporter who went on a shooting rampage because of his Jihadist beliefs. That makes him "the enemy". The people who died and those injured because of Nidal Hassan were technically killed/wounded in action. However, i would not call Ft. Hood "enemy territory". Where the attack occured really makes no difference. I hate to sound like sHillary, but it's true. This was a terrorist attack by "the enemy".

Back
Top Bottom