• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are stagnating wages a myth?

Here is my entire contribution to the OP: This is interesting. I wonder if it will have any effect on the political rhetoric of victimhood.

Otherwise, I don't care. You're debating yourself.
Jebezus Jack, I have seen some CS actions by you, but to now argue that I am arguing with myself is really far out. Am I forcing you to reply with these non-responses to the argument? Is this your your new method of conceding to an argument you were trying to defend?

I find him interesting, and he's a regular columnist in the newspaper I read every day.
Oh, you read him regularly, but you are ignorant of his politics.....even though you agree with him. Wow!

If you say so.
No, it isn't me Jack, it is the economic indicators of wage gains of US workers that says so.....you know, like the topic you brought to the table....in an economics debate forum.....in a thread where you have decided to end debate on the subject....with me.

Jebezus Jack, I have seen some CS actions by you, but to now argue that I am arguing with myself is really far out. Am I forcing you to reply with these non-responses to the argument? Is this your your new method of conceding to an argument you were trying to defend?

I have not tried to defend anything.

No, it isn't me Jack, it is the economic indicators of wage gains of US workers that says so.....you know, like the topic you brought to the table....in an economics debate forum.....in a thread where you have decided to end debate on the subject....with me.

Well, I believe the authors' point would be that the statistic you are citing is more apparent than real. I find that interesting from a political perspective. As for the economists' debate about the statistic, I don't care.

I have not tried to defend anything.
Of course you were, you questioned whether the data I brought forward indicated an effect of retirements, the main contention of the Samuelson editorial/opinion piece. You raised the question, yet your argument is too lazy to prove it's contention.

Oh, you read him regularly, but you are ignorant of his politics.....even though you agree with him. Wow!

I really don't care about his politics, and could you please point out where I said I agreed with him? One of my favorite regular reads is Richard Cohen, precisely because I don't always agree with him.

Of course you were, you questioned whether the data I brought forward indicated an effect of retirements, the main contention of the Samuelson editorial/opinion piece. You raised the question, yet your argument is too lazy to prove it's contention.

I pointed to a question. I made no assertion. I still won't.

Well, I believe the authors' point would be that the statistic you are citing is more apparent than real.
LOL...I cite real (adjust for inflation) data, you come back with non-economic rhetoric that conflates the meaning of real. Your grasp of context is lacking.
I find that interesting from a political perspective.
Yer in an economics forum, Jack, if you wanted a purely political argument, yeh should have gone and posted in a political forum.
As for the economists' debate about the statistic, I don't care.
Thanks for confirming the absolute blindness and ignorance of your posting capabilities. You don't want to debate the economics of Samuelson's argument, yer interested in the political implications as you post this in an economics forum.....and yer supposedly ignorant of Samuelson's politics!

Good grief.

I pointed to a question. I made no assertion. I still won't.
Begging the Question is a fallacy in which the premises include the claim that the conclusion is true or (directly or indirectly) assume that the conclusion is true.

LOL...I cite real (adjust for inflation) data, you come back with non-economic rhetoric that conflates the meaning of real. Your grasp of context is lacking. Yer in an economics forum, Jack, if you wanted a purely political argument, yeh should have gone and posted in a political forum. Thanks for confirming the absolute blindness and ignorance of your posting capabilities. You don't want to debate the economics of Samuelson's argument, yer interested in the political implications as you post this in an economics forum.....and yer supposedly ignorant of Samuelson's politics!

Good grief.

I'm sorry that you feel the need to be constantly insulting. Regardless, I'll just point out that this Economics subforum is hosted on a forum site called Debate Politics. You seem uninterested in debating the topic I introduced, and that's fine, but it does not mean I'm interested in debating the topic you would prefer. Perhaps someone else is.

I really don't care about his politics, and could you please point out where I said I agreed with him?
FFS, did you create this thread.....in an economics forum.....where you don't want to debate the economic legitimacy of an opinion piece...by a conservative...who you have referenced numerous times previously....where you are now going to imply.....that you don't necessarily agree with him? Can you be any more specious in your arguments?

FFS, did you create this thread.....in an economics forum.....where you don't want to debate the economic legitimacy of an opinion piece...by a conservative...who you have referenced numerous times previously....where you are now going to imply.....that you don't necessarily agree with him? Can you be any more specious in your arguments?

Please see my #38.

I'm sorry that you feel the need to be constantly insulting. Regardless, I'll just point out that this Economics subforum is hosted on a forum site called Debate Politics. You seem uninterested in debating the topic I introduced, and that's fine, but it does not mean I'm interested in debating the topic you would prefer. Perhaps someone else is.
Let me get this, I counter the argument that the wage data is skewed by retirement by showing the FRBSF is really dancing on the edge of cherry picking...and show that household income clearly shows DECLINES, not just stagnation......and your reply now is that I'm not interested in debating the topic......and this comes AFTER you announce YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DEBATE THE ECONOMIC ARGUMENT IN YOUR OP.....IN AN ECONOMICS DEBATE SUB-FORUM?

OHMYFRIGGINGGAWD!!!

Let me get this, I counter the argument that the wage data is skewed by retirement by showing the FRBSF is really dancing on the edge of cherry picking...and show that household income clearly shows DECLINES, not just stagnation......and your reply now is that I'm not interested in debating the topic......and this comes AFTER you announce YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DEBATE THE ECONOMIC ARGUMENT IN YOUR OP.....IN AN ECONOMICS DEBATE SUB-FORUM?

OHMYFRIGGINGGAWD!!!

The economics argument is of little interest to me, as I indicated in the OP. As for Samuelson, btw, there is no indication of his having a political lean. He doesn't vote.

The economics argument is of little interest to me, as I indicated in the OP.
Again, THEN DON'T POST ECONOMIC OPINION PIECES IN AN ECONOMIC SUBFORUM, BEGIN TO ARGUE THE ECONOMICS, AND THEN DECIDE YOU WANT TO ONLY ARGUE THE POLITICAL ASPECT. THIS IS AN ECONOMICS SUBFORUM
As for Samuelson, btw, there is no indication of his having a political lean. He doesn't vote.
Anyone who has read, cited and defended Samuelson as much as you, who then says Samuelson has not expressed or shown a political bias.....is making specious argument. An economics subforum is not the place for discussions of his bias or his views on political arguments.

Again, THEN DON'T POST ECONOMIC OPINION PIECES IN AN ECONOMIC SUBFORUM, BEGIN TO ARGUE THE ECONOMICS, AND THEN DECIDE YOU WANT TO ONLY ARGUE THE POLITICAL ASPECT. THIS IS AN ECONOMICS SUBFORUM Anyone who has read, cited and defended Samuelson as much as you, who then says Samuelson has not expressed or shown a political bias.....is making specious argument. An economics subforum is not the place for discussions of his bias or his views on political arguments.

Sorry, but the opinion piece was fundamentally about a political topic. As for the forum, I don't believe you have any special charter to decide what should be posted where. And the fact that I read Samuelson in no way indicates anything about his political lean or absence thereof.

The concluding passage: The larger implication is that the study compromises the prevailing economic narrative, which emphasizes the stagnation of wages and living standards. Clearly, millions of households — especially the recently unemployed — have suffered large losses, and the gains of many others are underwhelming. But the impression that most people in the middle class are slipping backward seems overwrought. The anxiety about the future is real, but its causes must be more complicated than commonly thought.

My own story, and mine alone, your mileage may vary: My wages have stagnated for roughly the last 15 years. Part of that is due to my being older and having reached the "top" of my industry/job classification, but part of it I believe is the economy itself and in general. Simply put, I keep seeing the prices of everyday goods and services going up and up and up, and my wages aren't keeping up.

My own story, and mine alone, your mileage may vary: My wages have stagnated for roughly the last 15 years. Part of that is due to my being older and having reached the "top" of my industry/job classification, but part of it I believe is the economy itself and in general. Simply put, I keep seeing the prices of everyday goods and services going up and up and up, and my wages aren't keeping up.

Is it the case that your "top" job classification has not seen any increase?

Nurses in Britain have seen a net drop in salary of almost 10% since the Bush crash as a result of the austerity-driven dogma of the Conservative party.

Back
Top Bottom