• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are me and my classmate cousins?

marcus903

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I got a serious question:

Yesterday, three of my teachers (one is a guidance counselor) visited me at my house to do a pre-graduation ceremony (because my mom has four-state cancer). My two aunts was there. Here is thing, though: for 19 years, I thought I always had one aunt. a few weeks ago (a few days after my mom came home from the hospital), I learned that my mom had a sister on her fathers side (who died when I was a baby).

Then, when my two teachers and guidance counselor went to my house on May 26th, I learned that one of my classmates who I've known throughout my high school tenure shares the same aunt as one of my aunts.

However, here is the thing that confuses me: she told me that we are not "real cousins" because she is the sister of my mother's side and is the sister of my classmates fathers side (who died shortly before the start of my junior year, I believe). so this would technically make us half-cousins because we both only share the aunt of our fathers side, since we don't actually hav the same grandmother, but it is possible that we hav the same grandfather.

are we real half-cousins, second cousins, or not really cousins? thanks.

Yesterday, three of my teachers (one is a guidance counselor) visited me at my house to do a pre-graduation ceremony (because my mom has four-state cancer). My two aunts was there. Here is thing, though: for 19 years, I thought I always had one aunt. a few weeks ago (a few days after my mom came home from the hospital), I learned that my mom had a sister on her fathers side (who died when I was a baby).

Then, when my two teachers and guidance counselor went to my house on May 26th, I learned that one of my classmates who I've known throughout my high school tenure shares the same aunt as one of my aunts.

However, here is the thing that confuses me: she told me that we are not "real cousins" because she is the sister of my mother's side and is the sister of my classmates fathers side (who died shortly before the start of my junior year, I believe). so this would technically make us half-cousins because we both only share the aunt of our fathers side, since we don't actually hav the same grandmother, but it is possible that we hav the same grandfather.

If I followed that, which was hard, I think you are fourth cousins once removed. Maybe... third once removed. It's hard to tell by the OP. Sorry for the uncertainty, but I hope this helps some. The key is "once removed" which is what you both are, but yes, you're still cousins at some level.

Have sex with her. The ickier it feels the more closely related you are.

Have sex with her. The ickier it feels the more closely related you are.

I have a problem putting the word icky in a sentence as a descriptor of the word sex. It just ain't possible.

Edit: I did laugh out loud though, which I don't do very often as result of reading posts on here.

If you have the same grandfather, I'd say you're half cousins. Second cousins would be your relation to the children of your parents' cousins (same great-grandparents).

Is there a "by marriage" somewhere?: For example, my Aunt is married to my Uncle. They have nieces and nephews that have the same Aunt as I, but are not related to me in any way. My Uncle is my mother's brother. My Aunt is simply that because she's married to him.

If you have the same grandfather, I'd say you're half cousins. Second cousins would be your relation to the children of your parents' cousins (same great-grandparents).

Is there a "by marriage" somewhere?: For example, my Aunt is married to my Uncle. They have nieces and nephews that have the same Aunt as I, but are not related to me in any way. My Uncle is my mother's brother. My Aunt is simply that because she's married to him.

No.

We're cousins by blood.

Auntie Mary (the aunt I'm refering to) is the sister of my mother (on my fathers side) and the sister of my classmate's father. in other words: Auntie Mary is my mother's half-sister and is the brother (or half-brother) of my classmates's father. either way, we're still half-cousins.

Back
Top Bottom