• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Are Americans Getting Ruder?

Are Americans Ruder Today than in the Past?

• Yes

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Please Explain)

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Cephus

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Yesterday, my wife and I were out shopping at a large mass-market retailer late in the afternoon. We walked into one aisle where an employee was trying to organize the shelves and watched someone standing right next to them pick up items, look at them and literally throw them on the floor. This wasn't some kid, it was a nicely-dressed 30-35 year old man. The employee looked really frustrated and when I talked to him later, he said that's common, most customers act like he's their personal maid.

Now I don't remember this kind of thing happening even just a few years ago but now, I see it all the time. People used to make an attempt to put carts back in the cart returns, now they purposely push them at other people's cars or leave them in the middle of aisles. There are countless examples of people acting like they rule the world and everyone else has to cater to their whims.

Has a generation of teaching kids that they are special and should have self-esteem resulted in a bunch of self-important, rude, obnoxious pricks?

Has a generation of teaching kids that they are special and should have self-esteem resulted in a bunch of self-important, rude, obnoxious pricks?

No, but having a bunch of elected politicians who think they rule the world sure does. When our government acts like no one is better then America and we can do what we want and get away with it, what makes you think Americans won't follow suit?

Yesterday, my wife and I were out shopping at a large mass-market retailer late in the afternoon. We walked into one aisle where an employee was trying to organize the shelves and watched someone standing right next to them pick up items, look at them and literally throw them on the floor. This wasn't some kid, it was a nicely-dressed 30-35 year old man. The employee looked really frustrated and when I talked to him later, he said that's common, most customers act like he's their personal maid.

Now I don't remember this kind of thing happening even just a few years ago but now, I see it all the time. People used to make an attempt to put carts back in the cart returns, now they purposely push them at other people's cars or leave them in the middle of aisles. There are countless examples of people acting like they rule the world and everyone else has to cater to their whims.

I think you might have a point.

As possible evidence supporting your idea, I personally do not do any of the things you mention, in fact the opposite is often true.
I think that this is, in part, because:
  1. I was homeschooled.
  2. My parents taught me to be aware of other persons.

The two are interconnected, since because of the first my parents had more time and access to me to teach me the second.

But really I could see someone who attended public school being curtioius as well, if their parents taught them to be so. Even though it is likely that the parents in question would have to remove certain incorrect ideas learned in public school.

The problem being that if the parents are "A bunch of self-important, rude, obnoxious pricks", then it seems that at least some of their children are going to be so.

As possible evidence supporting your idea, I personally do not do any of the things you mention, in fact the opposite is often true.
I think that this is, in part, because:
  1. I was homeschooled.
  2. My parents taught me to be aware of other persons.

I wasn't homeschooled, I went to a private school, my even my wife, who went to public school, is horrified at the crap she sees people doing now. But then again, we both went to school back before all this "feel good about yourself" stupidity started.

This isn't the "ME" generation, it's the "**** YOU AND GET OUT OF MY WAY" generation and it's disgusting.

WE have the same **** in europe.The self esteem the everyones a winner children are so special.

Im too young to know if this is a modern thing however.I always feel the need to hold doors for people have basic manners etc to people i dont know and come in contact with were i live is nicer than say in london or any busy city because people are just each other as obsticals in their way.

But ive noticed plenty of rude old people too so who knows

WE have the same **** in Europe. The self esteem the everyone’s a winner children are so special.

I’m too young to know if this is a modern thing however. I always feel the need to hold doors for people have basic manners etc to people I don’t know and come in contact with were I live is nicer than say in London or any busy city because people are just each other as obstacles in their way.

But ive noticed plenty of rude old people too so who knows

True, it might just be that a certain percentage of persons are rude no matter where you look in history or the present. However, I believe that a major part of such rudeness can be eliminated or enhanced through training received from parents and other sources.

It's definitely more prevalent in the city than in rural areas. My BF moved here from Albuquerque and has commented a few times on how much more polite people are here than in NM. I've lived in several large cities, as well as in small towns and the difference is astounding.

The rudeness thing is, IMO, a result of so-called "city life" and the inherent problems with it, combined with lack of guidance from parents and teachers alike. Even though there are far more people in the bigger cities, individuals are more isolated and "alone" in many ways compared to their rural counterparts. I think that plays a huge part.

But, rudeness is also subjective. Especially within certain communities.

Originally posted by Cephus

If you care to get some possible insight to this phenomena, pick up a couple of books by Gerry Mander:
  • In the Abscence of the Sacred
    (the failure of technology and the survival of the indian nations)
  • Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television
We are conditioned to think everything about techology is good and should be persued. We never think about the social impact telephones and emails have in desensitizing humans through constant communications without human contact or interaction. People are just bytes on a screen. After a generation or two of this, and some people lose their grasp of the cause and effect of their actions.

Just look at the neocons in this very forum. They exhibit so much hostility towards anyone that isn't in goose-step with their political postion. I even started a thread asking the question if they are really mentally capable of holding public office. They remind me of a guy who moves in with 3 other guys who don't know any women, then can't understand why he can't get a date!

If you only interact with people of your same ilk, how do you acquire the skills to see other things in a different way.

Someone should tell that kid "Welcome to retail" I deal with clowns like this on a daily basis. As for becoming a more ruder society you know what deal with it.

Definition

Students, the word for today is hypocrisy and we have been treated to an excellent example. Y'all give it up for the great billo. :bravo: :2rofll:

hy·poc·ri·sy (hĭ-pŏk'rĭ-sē) Pronunciation Key
n. pl. hy·poc·ri·sies

The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.

Just look at the neocons in this very forum. They exhibit so much hostility towards anyone that isn't in goose-step with their political postion. I even started a thread asking the question if they are really mentally capable of holding public office. They remind me of a guy who moves in with 3 other guys who don't know any women, then can't understand why he can't get a date!

Originally posted to TOJ:
Students, the word for today is hypocrisy and we have been treated to an excellent example. Y'all give it up for the great billo.
What's hypocritical about it?

If you ask me, it's the "American Dream."

It doesn't exist. I think people are so angry that they don't know what to do. They don't know how to express themselves in an artistic form.

My mental health causes me to be a little more empathic than most, and for that I am thankful for my conditions. I vent my frustration through physical extension and mental awareness through different art forms. Unfortunately not everyone is like this. We give people a lot more credit than we should. Sometimes people want to be weak so they can be strong again, but being weak isn't always an option ... so you just keep on being strong. The strength strains you out and eventually you start to fall. I speak from experience. I think it's important that we all show patience and compassion to each other in these hard times. Unfortunately that is not always possible, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

I picked other, because it all depends. I just need to pick this apart. Today, yes, people are rude in a self-centered sort of way. But I also say no, because we don't force colored people to convert to christianity and/or force them off their land; which I've always viewed as being "rude".

But about rudeness today, I get cut off in traffic. Other drivers almost always never let me in or out. I've had a guy sneeze on me, and he never even apologized. I have a friend who leaves his garbage in the movie theatre, "Well, it's their job to clean it up!" I tell him that that's why there's a trash can at the back of the room and the why there's signs that say "Please be couteous and throw away your trash". He just ignores me, so I end up throwing out his trash.
In public bathrooms I see piss all over the seats and wet paper on the floor, but if you went to their house and did that they'd probably try to hurt ya.

So yes, they're ruder in a self-centered way, but not ruder in other areas. If you take my meaning.

What's hypocritical about it?
You talking about someone else being hostile just struck me as funny as hell. You know, that old pot, kettle, black thing... :2funny:

You talking about someone else being hostile just struck me as funny as hell. You know, that old pot, kettle, black thing... :2funny:

Now now, lets avoid turning this into a billo-bashing thread.

Guess none of you are from R I. or Mass.
People will NOT let you in line if you have to take a exit. They will drive the speed lane until they are right at their exit and cut ANYONE off to get in the exit lane.
Hold DOORS???:doh
Lucky if they don't slam the door just when your hand is on it.
They take up two parking spaces so their 1985 junk won't get scratched.
They park in handicap parking spaces when they shouldnt be there.
If you drive just one mile here you are guarranteed to get the finger, some one driving on your A$$ and a horn blowing at you.
```
Every other word from most is F----.

YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING until you drive here and walk around here.

Originally posted by TOJ:
You talking about someone else being hostile just struck me as funny as hell. You know, that old pot, kettle, black thing...
Hostility can take many forms. My point was towards those that seem to have that mentality of "kill'em all and let God sort'em out". Or they act as though the US walks on water and we can do anything we please becasue were "God-damn American's!"

I'm fortunate to be an American, but at the moment, I'm certainly not proud to be one.

Someone should tell that kid "Welcome to retail" I deal with clowns like this on a daily basis. As for becoming a more ruder society you know what deal with it.

But it's not just retail, it's everything. It's watching people be slobs in restaurants because they figure someone else will clean up after them and that's not just fast food, it's expensive, full-service restaurants. It's watching people be *******s on the road, seeing people who figure they can drive on the shoulder because they're special and don't have to wait like everyone else. It's watching smokers throw their trash on the ground because they shouldn't have to walk 3 feet to a trash can or an ashtray.

We shouldn't have to deal with it, it shouldn't be allowed to happen.

If you ask me, it's the "American Dream."

It doesn't exist. I think people are so angry that they don't know what to do. They don't know how to express themselves in an artistic form.

The American Dream exists just fine. The problem is, people don't know what it is. The American Dream means that if you're willing to work hard, you can be successful. People don't want to have to work for it, they expect to be given success on a silver platter simply for waking up in the morning. They figure that you shouldn't have to get an education, you shouldn't have to get any work experience or even have any skills, you should just magically get enough money to support a family on, no matter how rotten your attitude might be. I really don't understand how you get rude people with zero customer service skills, pissed off at the world because they've ruined their lives, had a bunch of kids they can't afford to feed, and now everyone they encounter is public enemy #1. But of course, it isn't THEIR fault... they blame everyone else for their own failures.

That's not the American Dream, that's their own personal failure.

It's definitely more prevalent in the city than in rural areas. My BF moved here from Albuquerque and has commented a few times on how much more polite people are here than in NM. I've lived in several large cities, as well as in small towns and the difference is astounding.

The rudeness thing is, IMO, a result of so-called "city life" and the inherent problems with it, combined with lack of guidance from parents and teachers alike. Even though there are far more people in the bigger cities, individuals are more isolated and "alone" in many ways compared to their rural counterparts. I think that plays a huge part.

But, rudeness is also subjective. Especially within certain communities.

I've gotta agree with you here, I find people are MUCH nicer in small towns. Where I'm from it's considered impolite to not wave at passing cars, even if you don't know who the person is! Try doing that in a larger town and people will look at you like you're a nutcase!

Originally Posted by RightOfCenter
I've gotta agree with you here, I find people are MUCH nicer in small towns. Where I'm from it's considered impolite to not wave at passing cars, even if you don't know who the person is! Try doing that in a larger town and people will look at you like you're a nutcase!
Hey, we wave back!

Albeit using only 10% of our hand power.

The message is still the same, "You're No.1."

Meh, nothing new.
With the death of the American dream, you gotta take what opportunities you can, because the masses are filled with unfulfilled expectations and someone else will quickly snatch it away from you. Compound this pre-emptively defensive attitude with the fact that nobody in a big city will know who that ******* was, and you get people being rude to anonymous strangers, especially to those with less social status and no means to retaliate. In small towns, the community is intertwined enough that the people actually know each other's names, and they’ll gossip if someone pulls **** like this.

I give part of the blame to Republicans for exacerbating **** by skewing the tax system further in favor of the rich at the expense of everyone else.

The American Dream exists just fine.

Really? The American dream may still be available to some, but more and more often it is coming at the expense of the dreams of others.

Last edited:
Really? The American dream may still be available to some, but more and more often it is coming at the expense of the dreams of others.

Amen brotha. The rich are getting richer, and the poor are getting poorer. The American "Middle class" is slowly disappearing, and it's a shame.

Besides the fact though, just think of what happened to that woman that got stabbed and died in front of people WALKING OVER HER and taking PICTURES! That's not only rude, but fvcked up completely.

Americans aren't just getting ruder, we're caring less for others and for only ourselves. I can see why so many countries hate our guts, because not only do our politicians act rude and arrogant, but so does a lot of our populace.

Oddly, the guy in your story says he believes in the American dream and his family has been living it.

I don't know what each person defines the "American dream" as, but to me it's just that we have the opportunity to do whatever we want to do. You don't have to start off with money to make money. That is very true. Nothing holds anyone back but themselves.

Really?[/URL] The American dream may still be available to some, but more and more often it is coming at the expense of the dreams of others.

The American Dream is available to anyone who gets off their fat, lazy *** and does something about it. Those who cannot achieve a reasonable success aren't trying hard enough.

Back
Top Bottom