• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Apparently somehow freedom of speech doesn't apply to retired Army general Gary Volesky

neil

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Or is freedom of speech a privilege and not a right?

Maybe Biden ought to be impeached for infringing on his 1st Amendment constitutional right.

30etir.jpg

Maybe Biden ought to be impeached for infringing on his 1st Amendment constitutional right.

30etir.jpg
This has nothing to do with the 1st Amendment. It's about the UCMJ.

From the article...

His response represents a breach of decorum for a retired military officer and a foray into partisan politics by an official on the payroll of the Pentagon, which is supposed to steer clear of such matters, experts say. His tweet has been deleted.​

However, what this action DOES expose is the arbitrary, politically corrupt and hypocritical manner in which the military enforces the UCMJ. Some retired...and even some active duty...military members are allowed to violate the UCMJ. Some, like Lt. Gen. Gary Volesky will pay a price.

I understand that members of the armed forces (even retired?) must not show disrespect to the President (or his wife?).

I remember that some American service people were admonished for disrespect to President Clinton, whom some considered a draft dodger.

By the way, next time would the OP give a warning that a photo of that particular Congress lady is upcoming? I was having my breakfast when I almost choked upon seeing it.

From the article...

His response represents a breach of decorum for a retired military officer and a foray into partisan politics by an official on the payroll of the Pentagon, which is supposed to steer clear of such matters, experts say. His tweet has been deleted.​

However, what this action DOES expose is the arbitrary, politically corrupt and hypocritical manner in which the military enforces the UCMJ. Some retired...and even some active duty...military members are allowed to violate the UCMJ. Some, like Lt. Gen. Gary Volesky will pay a price.
Meanwhile the Flynns are still on the payroll.

30etir.jpg
Not a good idea to bad mouth the source of your income no matter the source. What does Maxine have to do with this?

From the article...

It's about him expressing his personal thoughts or opinions on a private online social platform, and apparently he was compelled to remove it (as you just pointed out from the article), thus it has absolutely everything to do with freedom of speech.

When someone's retired from the military, that means they're no longer in the military; he's no longer active duty & he's no longer part of the military chain of command, so the fact that he was in the military is irrelevant.

There may be rules on decorum for active duty military officers, but since he's retired, this so-called "breach of decorum for a retired military officer" (regardless of what this is or what it's supposed to mean) isn't something that would or could have any teeth, so that's also irrelevant. However, I would like to know where any documentation on decorum code or whatever for retired military officers can be found; is there a PDF on a .gov or .mil website, or Wikipedia article on this, or something online somewhere? I tried searching online for something about decorum for retired military officers, but there doesn't seem to be anything like that.

I understand that members of the armed forces (even retired?) must not show disrespect to the President (or his wife?).
Notice that you had to put both "retired" and "wife" (of the current President) in parentheses with question marks.

An individual doesn't hold any kind of official government position just by being the spouse of the President. "First Lady" isn't an official title or office.

When someone's retired form the military, that means they're "civilians" (or private citizens) with every constitutional right that every other private citizen has. The only things I can think of that they can possibly get in trouble for would be things like falsely portraying themselves as still being active duty, revealing classified information, or violating any laws.

I remember that some American service people were admonished for disrespect to President Clinton, whom some considered a draft dodger.
Were they active duty?

By the way, next time would the OP give a warning that a photo of that particular Congress lady is upcoming? I was having my breakfast when I almost choked upon seeing it.
Oops! Sorry about that. I'll try to warn, but maybe it would be better to avoid reading what I post while having breakfast. Hopefully this'll replace it for you: 🥚🥓🥞🧇🧈🍳🍺

It is a right (with a few conditions) and it is a right he still has. The manner in which anyone chooses to express their free speech can have legitimate consequences though.

Not a good idea to bad mouth the source of your income no matter the source. What does Maxine have to do with this?
Are you implying that Jill Biden is the source of his income or that she controls the military, or what?

It is a right (with a few conditions) and it is a right he still has. The manner in which anyone chooses to express their free speech can have legitimate consequences though.
No, this isn't how it works here in America. Are you an American?

When you are in the military, you don't have the same rights. Tough shit for the general. Actions have consequences.

OP is just angry and needs to focus on Maxine for some reason that no one can understand...

Plenty of government retirees bad mouth Biden. This seems vindictive

When you are in the military, you don't have the same rights. Tough shit for the general. Actions have consequences.
He’s not in the military. Get up to speed

Plenty of government retirees bad mouth Biden. This seems vindictive
This is.

As I said..."However, what this action DOES expose is the arbitrary, politically corrupt and hypocritical manner in which the military enforces the UCMJ. Some retired...and even some active duty...military members are allowed to violate the UCMJ. Some, like Lt. Gen. Gary Volesky will pay a price."

He’s not in the military. Get up to speed
He is working for them, and I am sure he has a morals clause.

No one is holding a gun to his head making him work..

30etir.jpg
This is not a 1st amendment issue.

You guys really need a better understanding of freedom of speech.

From the article...

As much as I don't want to, I have to agree and say "well done".

OP just wanted to post an insulting picture.

Back
Top Bottom