• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anyone willing to run down the Advantages and Disadvantages of using LINUX O.S.

Captain Adverse

Classical Liberal Sage
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
As some may have seen from earlier posts I am fairly annoyed with Microsoft products, most particularly the Windows Operating System.

They keep modifying the system and taking more and more control over it every time they "upgrade." Now, with the current version of Windows 10 they require a monthly update, regardless of whether we want one or not, regardless of not being informed about what they keep "updating."

They keep loading crap on my computer I do not use...it's a PC not a hand-held communication device! I neither want nor need all these applications they seem to think I need and upload without my knowledge or consent. Moreover, with all this proprietary legal legerdemain they keep adding to their terms of use and service...who knows what monitoring and data-collecting programs they are inserting?

Seriously, just how many "critical updates" does a system need? Isn't that was frickin Anti-Virus software is supposed to handle?

In any case, I was looking at the possibility of replacing Windows with a less intrusive operating system and LINUX seems to be the top of the list for alternatives.

So, for any of you PC experts out there with some good advice? I am listening.

As some may have seen from earlier posts I am fairly annoyed with Microsoft products, most particularly the Windows Operating System.

They keep modifying the system and taking more and more control over it every time they "upgrade." Now, with the current version of Windows 10 they require a monthly update, regardless of whether we want one or not, regardless of not being informed about what they keep "updating."

They keep loading crap on my computer I do not use...it's a PC not a hand-held communication device! I neither want nor need all these applications they seem to think I need and upload without my knowledge or consent. Moreover, with all this proprietary legal legerdemain they keep adding to their terms of use and service...who knows what monitoring and data-collecting programs they are inserting?

Seriously, just how many "critical updates" does a system need? Isn't that was frickin Anti-Virus software is supposed to handle?

In any case, I was looking at the possibility of replacing Windows with a less intrusive operating system and LINUX seems to be the top of the list for alternatives.

I know a thing or two about legacy Windows OS's, but I'm far from being an expert. But when they started doing new upgrades monthly, they're doing nothing different from what Apple's been doing for a lot of years...and increasing the security of the OS in the process. If the monthly updates are your real beef, I wouldn't stress about it. Heck, my wife got what was a really nice Mac desktop back in 2004, and she's still using the same one today - it's been updated all along the way, and we've had almost zero problems with it.

But if you really want a different OS, I'd recommend Linux - for those who are willing to go to the time and effort, there's a lot of good things to be said about Linux. But if you're tired of having to reconfigure the OS every time you run into a conflict and just want to load up the programs and get to work, I'd stick with Windows...especially if you're a middle-aged gamer like I am.

The main drawback to Linux or its variants is the dearth of compatible software.

I had an experience using several Linux distros maybe 6 or 7 years ago, on a desktop and laptop.

I found it frustrating and far more tech heavy than I wanted to deal with. I'm talking command language stuff here, mounting discs and the like. I did it as a learning experience, and soon got tired of the effort.

I don't remember the distros I tried, but you can start with free distros that boot off a CD into your regular Windows OS. I suspect now - years later - you could likely boot off a thumbdrive these days.

This way you can play around with it, without nuking your original OS.

Good luck! (I suspect you're going to need it)

if you want a good and smooth OS, go with MAC, but only if you don't do a lot of gaming.

mac is smooth, it reloadS easily, you can create many OS systems to run on your computer, i once had 4 OS i could boot to.

once i went over to mac, no blue screen, no body from the internet trying to jackup my IMAC using self extracting zip files

View attachment 67209145

I know a thing or two about legacy Windows OS's, but I'm far from being an expert. But when they started doing new upgrades monthly, they're doing nothing different from what Apple's been doing for a lot of years...and increasing the security of the OS in the process. If the monthly updates are your real beef, I wouldn't stress about it. Heck, my wife got what was a really nice Mac desktop back in 2004, and she's still using the same one today - it's been updated all along the way, and we've had almost zero problems with it.

But if you really want a different OS, I'd recommend Linux - for those who are willing to go to the time and effort, there's a lot of good things to be said about Linux. But if you're tired of having to reconfigure the OS every time you run into a conflict and just want to load up the programs and get to work, I'd stick with Windows...especially if you're a middle-aged gamer like I am.

I had an experience using several Linux distros maybe 6 or 7 years ago, on a desktop and laptop.

I found it frustrating and far more tech heavy than I wanted to deal with. I'm talking command language stuff here, mounting discs and the like. I did it as a learning experience, and soon got tired of the effort.

I don't remember the distros I tried, but you can start with free distros that boot off a CD into your regular Windows OS. I suspect now - years later - you could likely boot off a thumbdrive these days.

This way you can play around with it, without nuking your original OS.

These two give pretty solid advice. Other than the fact that I might have to re-login on my PC once the update is completed, I have no qualms about the monthly updates. They mostly go unnoticed.

If you get linux, depending on the type. They aren't much different from Windows and you'll miss the legacy software that works well with it. AKA Microsoft Word et al. The thing with these self righteous Linux people is that they seem to want to make themselves more frustrated with technology, when they choose to, not when Microsoft finds it convenient. Which is fine and all but Linux has just as many drawbacks as does Windows. Probably more.

I had a friend who wanted to set up a linux distro on his laptop. At first he fell victim to the Linux Mint hack that happened earlier this year. Then once he got Ubuntu (a different distro) up and running, he couldn't find a wifi driver that worked well with w/e laptop model he had. Whereas if he just stuck with Windows all of that would have worked properly right out of the box!

But when they started doing new upgrades monthly, they're doing nothing different from what Apple's been doing for a lot of years...and increasing the security of the OS in the process. If the monthly updates are your real beef, I wouldn't stress about it. But if you really want a different OS, I'd recommend Linux - for those who are willing to go to the time and effort, there's a lot of good things to be said about Linux. But if you're tired of having to reconfigure the OS every time you run into a conflict and just want to load up the programs and get to work, I'd stick with Windows...especially if you're a middle-aged gamer like I am.

Well, I use my PC mostly for two things, PC gaming (typically strategy types like the Total War Series, or Strategy First games) and watching internet videos. Sometimes word processing, and email.

But I am old school when it comes to ownership, as in when I buy something it's mine and I don't want people to mess with it. I don't like the fact Microsoft thinks that they know what I should want and unilaterally add it to my system, nor do I trust them to respect my privacy when terms of service grant them so much access. Still, I don't like Apple MAC's, they aren't good for gaming.

The main drawback to Linux or its variants is the dearth of compatible software.

This is what concerns me. Everything seems geared toward Microsoft and Apple systems; creating issues with those programs I do want, like word processing, video play, etc.

if you want a good and smooth OS, go with MAC, but only if you don't do a lot of gaming.

This (as you can see from part of this reply above) is the problem. My primary use is gaming, followed by online video watching. I am also thinking about producing my own videos for a possible YouTube channel.

The bottom line is, I am becoming less and less trustful because Microsoft is just so bullyingly intrusive and overbearing. I grew up in a different era of customer service (and privacy) ideology.

It's very frustrating.

Last edited:
Well, I use my PC for two things, PC gaming (typically strategy types like the Total War Series, or Strategy First games) and watching internet videos. Sometimes word processing, and email. But I am old school when it comes to ownership, as in when I by something it's mine and I don't want people to mess with it. I don't like the fact Microsoft thinks that they know what I should want and unilaterally add it to my system, nor do I trust them to respect my privacy when terms of service grant them so much access. Still, I don't like Apple MAC's, they aren't good for gaming.

This is what concerns me. Everything seems geared toward Microsoft and Apple systems; creating issues with those programs I do want, like word processing, video play, etc.

This (as you can see from part of this reply above) is the problem. My primary use is gaming, followed by online video watching. I am also thinking about producing my own videos for a possible YouTube channel.

The bottom line is, I am becoming less and less trustful because Microsoft is just so bullyingly intrusive and overbearing. I grew up in a different era of customer service (and privacy) ideology.

It's very frustrating.

mac does have gaming and on my mac it runs sweet, however the games are fewer

mac is very easy for youtube videos, and i have done a few myself a couple of years ago

i dont see mac as bullying in any way, when i need an update the mac shows it to me, i just click on it and i does everything and apple has given me free OS downloads for years.

i would never go back windows as my primary computer, i only have it as a backup if my mac were to die, which it has not and i have not had any OS problems with it.

i was not sure i would like imac before i got it, but once i did, damn its sweet using a iMac 27 5k

Yeah, "tech heavy" is not my thing. I am a quick study and have been able to keep up with tech better then most of my peers in my age group. But it's not my "interest," not even as a hobby.

However, I also don't want or need all the new apps people are buying into these days; and I certainly don't want anyone invading my privacy either by actual breaking and entering, or virtually online.

I've just lost trust in these corporations ever since they convinced us that we are only licensing their products and they can still do with them as they will via our internet or Wi-Fi connections.

IMO nothing should be on my computer unless I know the specific what's, why's, and where-fore's. Even then, only if I agree it is truly necessary for system performance and has no other purpose. Period.

Last edited:
Yeah, "tech heavy" is not my thing. I am a quick study and have been able to keep up with tech better then most of my peers in my age group. But it's not my "interest," not even as a hobby.

However, I also don't want or need all the new apps people are buying into these days; and I certainly don't want anyone invading my privacy either by actual breaking and entering, or virtually online.

I've just lost trust in these corporations ever since they convinced us that we are only licensing their products and they can still do with them as they will via our internet or Wi-Fi connections.

IMO nothing should be on my computer unless I know the specific what's, why's and where-fore's. Period.
I agree 100%!

I still use Windows 7, in part for the reasons you mentioned.

In regards to productivity software, there is a Linux equivalent (OpenOffice or LibreOffice for MS Office, etc.), or it can be run on WineHQ, which is a compatibility mode for Windoze using Linux. I think the only things you'll be having problems with are the videogames- playing them is the only reason why Im staying with WIn7, otherwise I would have gone Linux a long time ago- it almost never gets viruses, is stable and it isnt a hardware hog.

The whole of the economy is moving in this subscription based direction so. Like it while it lasts. It will be even harder to come by that control in the future. I don't think Microsoft Et Al will make any physical files let alone CDs for their software in the next ten years. Even Linux has cloud based stuff now. It's changing rapidly and this point in time may be the last where you will truly have the ability to make this decision. Otherwise the next generation will just grow up not even caring. That's the nature of the tech industry.

Unless you're a tech geek, I'd try a Chromebook or a mac rather than Linux. As a gamer I'm stuck with having a Windows partition.

In regards to productivity software, there is a Linux equivalent (OpenOffice or LibreOffice for MS Office, etc.), or it can be run on WineHQ, which is a compatibility mode for Windoze using Linux. I think the only things you'll be having problems with are the videogames- playing them is the only reason why Im staying with WIn7, otherwise I would have gone Linux a long time ago- it almost never gets viruses, is stable and it isnt a hardware hog.

OpenOffice is . . . OK.

It's functional. Mostly.

But if you work in Microsoft Office frequently and heavily, you will run into OpenOffice's limitations and frustrations very quickly.

OpenOffice is . . . OK.

It's functional. Mostly.

But if you work in Microsoft Office frequently and heavily, you will run into OpenOffice's limitations and frustrations very quickly.

And if you work in Microsoft Office frequently and heavily, you will run into Microsoft Office's frustrations very often.

Microsoft is moving to a subscription model ($) where their amorphous software is radically re-architected to ensure that competitors are already obsolete by the time they hit the market ($$).

It seems to me that they deliberately obfuscate their own user interfaces for the sake of market share.

Pros
Stable
Low memory usage
Less susceptible to viruses
Open source, so if you know how, you can modify your OS to meet your needs
Cheap

Cons
Very little in the way of available 3rd party software
Not as many robust development platforms available
Tech support is mostly well meaning amateurs
If you do get a virus, you're pretty well screwed, since there isn't a lot in the way of good Linux AV software available

"Driver not found... driver not found... DRIVER NOT FOUND... MOMMY!!!!!"

"Don't worry, son, I found your driver under the bed. There's no such thing as missing-driver monsters hiding under the bed."

And ten years later, the MCSE tech realizes that his mommy LIED to him!!!!

OO's version of VBA is nothing short of horrific.

Much of it has a lot to be desired.

I muddled through with it for a few years, and got used to it. Then I had to do, of all things, a PowerPoint presentation last fall, and found the OO version of PowerPoint to be unusable. So I picked up a month's subscription to MS Office, figuring I'd ditch it when I was done.

That's when I realized that in using OpenOffice, I had pretty much been working with crayons and construction paper all that time.

But it's free. You get what you pay for.

Back
Top Bottom