• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anybody else get hammered by storms last night?

rocket88

Mod Conspiracy Theorist
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I woke up and found this today:

2013-06-21 08.21.33.jpg

That's my neighbor's car, luckily for me...

Nope but I do not live near the 612, yo. Was that a pecan tree? I have about a half dozen and have never seen one snap like that.

We have some storms coming.....last time we didn't get hit so bad with all the High winds knocking trees down. Hope it wont get real nasty out there. As I have to work out in it tonight.

Not lately. A week ago though....whole different story.

Not lately. A week ago though....whole different story.

That was such a weird storm for us--it was like a shockwave. We had a nice calm partly cloudy day. That thing's leading edge rolled over us for about 30-40 minutes with intense lightening, heavy rain, and 60-70 mph winds and then it was gone and back to being a nice partly cloudy but cooler, slight breeze day.

That was such a weird storm for us--it was like a shockwave. We had a nice calm partly cloudy day. That thing's leading edge rolled over us for about 30-40 minutes with intense lightening, heavy rain, and 60-70 mph winds and then it was gone and back to being a nice partly cloudy but cooler, slight breeze day.

Heya Fisher. :2wave: Yep with us it was the same.....although we got like 3 and half inches of rain. So flooding then became the issue.
Although that Night I thought I would have seen a lot of trees down.

Towards Peotone on the Beecher side. They had all kinds of power lines come down. Blocking traffic on a lot of two lane Roads.

Heya Fisher. :2wave: Yep with us it was the same.....although we got like 3 and half inches of rain. So flooding then became the issue.
Although that Night I thought I would have seen a lot of trees down.

Towards Peotone on the Beecher side. They had all kinds of power lines come down. Blocking traffic on a lot of two lane Roads.

We had some limbs down on this major feeder road that is maintained as a scenic corridor with huge oak trees along it, but otherwise it was just light debris. I did have a plastic lawn chair fly across in front of me when I was unsuccessfully racing home hoping to get all the blankets we had out on the line in ahead of the rain. Fortunately flooding is seldom a problem in my corner of the 100 acre woods. We have a river splitting the city and have rolling hills so our drainage is great. Usually it takes several days of rain upstream or a heavy rain on top of a snow fall to flood the river in the city. Now there is a town about 30 miles downstream that will flood if two people in the city flush the toilet at the same time, but they are used to it.

A week ago the tornado storms out here in MD rocked my neighborhood, someone's Mercedes was totally by a fallen tree. So sad...

We had some limbs down on this major feeder road that is maintained as a scenic corridor with huge oak trees along it, but otherwise it was just light debris. I did have a plastic lawn chair fly across in front of me when I was unsuccessfully racing home hoping to get all the blankets we had out on the line in ahead of the rain. Fortunately flooding is seldom a problem in my corner of the 100 acre woods. We have a river splitting the city and have rolling hills so our drainage is great. Usually it takes several days of rain upstream or a heavy rain on top of a snow fall to flood the river in the city. Now there is a town about 30 miles downstream that will flood if two people in the city flush the toilet at the same time, but they are used to it.

Oh yeah and I forgot.....the hail. Ya should have seen the hail. They were the size of Ping Pong balls. We made sure we had the Car in the garage that night. Should have seen my neighbors Car. It wasn't anything special. Honda civic. But the hail damage was extensive. Plus the car was over 6yrs old. So there is no coverage.

Last few times hail has come down the ice pieces are the Size of quarters on up.

i cleaned out my garage just so i would have a place to hide the Mini in case of bad weather. have had to do so several times this season.

i hate storms, and have become more and more agitated by them the older i get. part of it is that i have to commute, and they usually hit during the drive home unless i seriously modify my schedule. the other reason is that a couple of the really bad ones have only narrowly missed my town. about four years ago, a tornado was close enough to hear and then sucked back up into the sky after eating a fence and a shed on the edge of town. i had to gather up all of the animals and race to another house which actually has a basement. not fun, and pretty terrifying. hope that you guys don't get too much damage up there.

Oh yeah and I forgot.....the hail. Ya should have seen the hail. They were the size of Ping Pong balls. We made sure we had the Car in the garage that night. Should have seen my neighbors Car. It wasn't anything special. Honda civic. But the hail damage was extensive. Plus the car was over 6yrs old. So there is no coverage.

Last few times hail has come down the ice pieces are the Size of quarters on up.

We seldom get hail and when we do it is more like crushed ice and lasts no more than a couple minutes. I am not sure if topography plays into that but I think so because there are areas close in near us that will sometimes get pelted. There is some combination of terrain that routinely pushes the worst parts of storms away from the city, hitting only the fringes, in a pretty predictable way unless the storm comes in from the east or north of us, which is seldom as the jetstream favors storms coming in from the southwest and west. If a storm comes in from the north, northeast, or south east we can take a beating because it is usually hurricane/tropical storm related. I don't ever recall a storm coming in from the direct east. I am not sure it is even possible.

We seldom get hail and when we do it is more like crushed ice and lasts no more than a couple minutes. I am not sure if topography plays into that but I think so because there are areas close in near us that will sometimes get pelted. There is some combination of terrain that routinely pushes the worst parts of storms away from the city, hitting only the fringes, in a pretty predictable way unless the storm comes in from the east or north of us, which is seldom as the jetstream favors storms coming in from the southwest and west. If a storm comes in from the north, northeast, or south east we can take a beating because it is usually hurricane/tropical storm related. I don't ever recall a storm coming in from the direct east. I am not sure it is even possible.

A lot of Chicago Peeps were caught out in Rush out traffic.....most trying to beat the Storm home early and then get caught in gridlock.

My oldest son was working for a Car dealer. He says they love Hail days. They even have Special Sales over hail Damage to brand new cars.

Nope but I do not live near the 612, yo. Was that a pecan tree? I have about a half dozen and have never seen one snap like that.

Hell no, that's a maple. I don't think Pecans grow up North here.

My neighbors across the street lost a whole tree, and some of their roof. In face there's a crane outside now taking the huge branch off of their house. The car in the picture suffered no damage, mostly because they parked it all crooked and wonky. I cleared out the branch for them too because they're like 90 and have been living there for 60 years.

I just got hit by one and another one is coming.

I hope this randomness passes through because I want to get some fishing in tonight.

We got some Winds and thunder now.....they say the rain is coming.

I'm on the chain....

It's just missing.

I just don't want to be stuck in the rain on the chain hahaha.

I'll just end up going to Blarneys Island ....

Last edited:
No, their property. My fence, though.
Their insurance going to pay for it?

If it were me, I would just spring for the material, fix it myself, and show them the bill. I would only demand payment if I didn't like them.

Heya.....Chicago and NW Indiana was hit by a Microburst yesterday. Over 70 mph winds. We are still without power. Which went out Right before the Hawks Game started. Now they are telling people they wont get power back on until Thursday.

Last I heard Commonwealth Edison said they had over a 100k. Plus Nipsco for NW Indiana is having trouble with power out in Several Towns and Suburbs.

Last really big storm I saw was before Global warming was created. I was just a kid. Thought it was cool. I lived in Albany at the time.

Columbus Day Storm of 1962

some reports put the peak velocity at 179 miles per hour

Blowing down forests more than we clearcut:

In less than 12 hours, more than 11,000,000,000 board feet (26,000,000 m3) of timber was blown down in northern California, Oregon and Washington combined

Last edited:
I woke up and found this today:

View attachment 67149230

That's my neighbor's car, luckily for me...

Holy cow. We had one of those storms a couple years ago. HUGE old trees were uprooted and everything. But my tiny baby tree wasn't harmed at all. So weird.

Holy cow. We had one of those storms a couple years ago. HUGE old trees were uprooted and everything. But my tiny baby tree wasn't harmed at all. So weird.

The big trunks on the old trees make them less flexible in the wind.

Back
Top Bottom