• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Any Debt Deal Should Be As Dirty as Possible[W:12]

Rocketman

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
It's time to stop spending like there's no tomorrow.

Can anyone other than doctrinaire Democrats and members of his immediate family keep a straight face when President Barack Obama insists that he is “prepared to negotiate on anything” while simultaneously saying that “until we make sure that Congress allows Treasury to pay for things that Congress itself already authorized, we are not going to engage in a series of negotiations”?

Or when Treasury Secretary Jack Lew announces that the government “cannot be put in a position of having to choose which commitments it should meet,” as if picking between, say, paying interest payments to avoid default and buying half a billion dollars worth of useless cargo planes is a contemporary version of Sophie’s Choice.

However much House Republicans may have Mr. Belvedered themselves when it comes to the government shutdown, they are absolutely right to insist that any increase in the amount of money the government can borrow today should be tied to firm commitments to spend less in the future. Think sequester, which promises to cut just somewhere between 1 percent and 2 percent of overall annual spending, on steroids. And the future should be defined as “the day after the debt-limit increase goes into effect.”

more....

Any Debt Deal Should Be As Dirty as Possible - Reason.com

Re: Any Debt Deal Should Be As Dirty as Possible

Just get rid of the debt ceiling and everyone wins.

Agreed. Not allowing the government to borrow makes great sense since it is unable to do it competently. The government should save up for what it wants to buy just like you and I do.

OMFG, actually stick to a budget and when they over-spend that is it? What a novel idea

It's time to stop spending like there's no tomorrow.
Can anyone other than doctrinaire Democrats and members of his immediate family keep a straight face when President Barack Obama insists that he is “prepared to negotiate on anything” while simultaneously saying that “until we make sure that Congress allows Treasury to pay for things that Congress itself already authorized, we are not going to engage in a series of negotiations”?
Or when Treasury Secretary Jack Lew announces that the government “cannot be put in a position of having to choose which commitments it should meet,” as if picking between, say, paying interest payments to avoid default and buying half a billion dollars worth of useless cargo planes is a contemporary version of Sophie’s Choice.
However much House Republicans may have Mr. Belvedered themselves when it comes to the government shutdown, they are absolutely right to insist that any increase in the amount of money the government can borrow today should be tied to firm commitments to spend less in the future. Think sequester, which promises to cut just somewhere between 1 percent and 2 percent of overall annual spending, on steroids. And the future should be defined as “the day after the debt-limit increase goes into effect.”
Once again a con mindlessly posts a silly con editorial. First, republicans are not threatening to destroy the economy to “spend less”. That was the reason they threatened to destroy the economy 2 years ago. Try hard to remember, they are threatening to destroy the economy to defund Obamacare. Now of course that they are trying to slither away from that position because it was a loser from the start. And of course you will let them.

Second, the idea that the govt can pick and choose from the 80 million bills its gets a month is just another conservative fantasy needed to cover up their anti American agenda. Its not only not feasible its not legal. And what kind of fantasy world do you live in the groups buying T bills will magically think “hey, they’re still paying my interest, give me another 100 billion”

The conservative entertainment complex and republicans count on your gullibility but you don’t have to be totally ridiculous in what you believe. This is from the Inspector General of the Treasury. ( I know I know, you really want to believe the lying conservative editorial)

Prioritization of Payments

Treasury officials stated that Treasury also reviewed the idea of attempting to prioritize the many payments made by the federal government each day. Treasury noted that it makes more than 80 million payments per month, all of which have been authorized and appropriated by Congress. According to a Treasury official, the payments cover a broad spectrum of purposes deemed important by Congress. While Congress enacted these expenditures, it did not prioritize them, nor did it direct the President or the Treasury to pay some expenses and not pay others. As a result, Treasury officials determined that there is no fair or sensible way to pick and choose among the many bills that come due every day. Furthermore, because Congress has never provided guidance to the contrary, Treasury’s systems are designed to make each payment in the order it comes due.

http://www.treasury.gov/about/organ...ebt Limit Response (Final with Signature).pdf

I'd like one of you liberals to give me one instance....ONE instance...where we've raised the debt ceiling, and the government DIDN'T jack spending up to that "new" ceiling as fast as possible. If government were a person, they'd be put into rehab for a shopping addiction.

Raising the debt ceiling is FOR jacking up debt. We don't need to keep increasing expenditures. If Lord 0bama and his Imperial Government wants to spend money, I say force them to shut down things that aren't necessary and re-appropriate funds.

Dear Jerk-in-Chief...stop spending money we don't have for things that are only designed to garner votes from the stupid masses who don't see your plots. I'm pretty sure, if Michelle Antoinette told you that you couldn't afford a big-screen TV, she wouldn't expect you to go out and buy an Escalade instead, you simple dolt of a human being.

I'd like one of you liberals to give me one instance....ONE instance...where we've raised the debt ceiling, and the government DIDN'T jack spending up to that "new" ceiling as fast as possible. If government were a person, they'd be put into rehab for a shopping addiction.

Raising the debt ceiling is FOR jacking up debt. We don't need to keep increasing expenditures. If Lord 0bama and his Imperial Government wants to spend money, I say force them to shut down things that aren't necessary and re-appropriate funds.

Dear Jerk-in-Chief...stop spending money we don't have for things that are only designed to garner votes from the stupid masses who don't see your plots. I'm pretty sure, if Michelle Antoinette told you that you couldn't afford a big-screen TV, she wouldn't expect you to go out and buy an Escalade instead, you simple dolt of a human being.

Well you have to as long as there is a deficit in spending it will keep going up and like I said if you want to limit debt being accumulated in the first place limit the deficit not the accumulated debt because all the debt ceiling is a tool used for political games that terrifies everyone watching. A deficit limit will not damage anything but the debt ceiling is MAD. I don't want world economies to suffer because some Americans decided it would be better to fight and bicker than actually solve the problem.

Well you have to as long as there is a deficit in spending it will keep going up and like I said if you want to limit debt being accumulated in the first place limit the deficit not the accumulated debt because all the debt ceiling is a tool used for political games that terrifies everyone watching. A deficit limit will not damage anything but the debt ceiling is MAD. I don't want world economies to suffer because some Americans decided it would be better to fight and bicker than actually solve the problem.

I agree... Give them their Obamacare... The program is such a mess that it almost HAS TO BE designed to fail.

By blocking it, this will allow Obama the high road WHEN it fails to claim that it was conservatives fault. Let them have it and let them own the consequences.

Once again a con mindlessly posts a silly con editorial. First, republicans are not threatening to destroy the economy to “spend less”. That was the reason they threatened to destroy the economy 2 years ago. Try hard to remember, they are threatening to destroy the economy to defund Obamacare. Now of course that they are trying to slither away from that position because it was a loser from the start. And of course you will let them.

Second, the idea that the govt can pick and choose from the 80 million bills its gets a month is just another conservative fantasy needed to cover up their anti American agenda. Its not only not feasible its not legal. And what kind of fantasy world do you live in the groups buying T bills will magically think “hey, they’re still paying my interest, give me another 100 billion”

The conservative entertainment complex and republicans count on your gullibility but you don’t have to be totally ridiculous in what you believe. This is from the Inspector General of the Treasury. ( I know I know, you really want to believe the lying conservative editorial)

Prioritization of Payments

Treasury officials stated that Treasury also reviewed the idea of attempting to prioritize the many payments made by the federal government each day. Treasury noted that it makes more than 80 million payments per month, all of which have been authorized and appropriated by Congress. According to a Treasury official, the payments cover a broad spectrum of purposes deemed important by Congress. While Congress enacted these expenditures, it did not prioritize them, nor did it direct the President or the Treasury to pay some expenses and not pay others. As a result, Treasury officials determined that there is no fair or sensible way to pick and choose among the many bills that come due every day. Furthermore, because Congress has never provided guidance to the contrary, Treasury’s systems are designed to make each payment in the order it comes due.

http://www.treasury.gov/about/organ...ebt Limit Response (Final with Signature).pdf

Saying "there is no way" is that same as admitting we have become a society that runs from work instead of embracing it

I cant post anything to counter the facts Vern posts so I'll post a juvenile and deflecting response instead of addressing the thread topic..

see Velvet, I can do that too. Now please address the fact that I pointed out that a con posted an editorial that tries to change the reason pubs are threatening to destroy the economy. The "defund Obamacare" didnt work out as planned so they retreated to their old lying classic of pretending to be concerned about deficits.

I also proved that pubs were just simply lying when they claimed the treasury can magically pick and choose which bill they'll pay of the 80 million they get each month. And because I posted the Inspector General of the Treasury saying it, you couldnt deny it. Of course deflection was best of the bad choices you had to cling to your narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
simpleton liberal talking points
Shh. Grownups talking.

see Velvet, I can do that too.

Moderator's Warning:
This baiting stops right now. It's not permitted to alter the quoted post in this manner. Any further instances will garner points and/or thread bans.

Just so you know elvis, you can still respond to my point that a con posted an editorial that tries to change the reason pubs are threatening to destroy the economy. The "defund Obamacare" didnt work out as planned so they retreated to their old lying classic of pretending to be concerned about deficits.

And you can also respond to the fact I've proven that pubs were just simply lying when they claimed the treasury can magically pick and choose which bill they'll pay of the 80 million they get each month.

Back
Top Bottom