• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another trans candidate in Ohio faces disqualification vote for omitting deadname

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A second transgender candidate running for a seat in the Republican-majority Ohio House is at risk of being disqualified from the ballot after omitting her former name on circulating petitions.

The Mercer County Board of Elections is set to vote Thursday on whether Arienne Childrey, a Democrat from Auglaize County and one of four transgender individuals campaigning for the Legislature, is eligible to run after not disclosing her previous name, also known as her deadname, on her petition paperwork.

A little-used Ohio elections law, unfamiliar even to many state elections officials, mandates that candidates disclose any name changes in the last five years on their petitions paperwork, with exemptions for name changes due to marriage. But the law isn’t listed in the 33-page candidate requirement guide and there is no space on the petition paperwork to list any former names.

Childrey, who legally changed her name in 2020, said she would have provided her deadname if she had known about the law.
==================================================
'Deadname' is a new one on me. Got to check it in my OED.

Ohio is just about as right-wing as IN.

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A second transgender candidate running for a seat in the Republican-majority Ohio House is at risk of being disqualified from the ballot after omitting her former name on circulating petitions.

The Mercer County Board of Elections is set to vote Thursday on whether Arienne Childrey, a Democrat from Auglaize County and one of four transgender individuals campaigning for the Legislature, is eligible to run after not disclosing her previous name, also known as her deadname, on her petition paperwork.

A little-used Ohio elections law, unfamiliar even to many state elections officials, mandates that candidates disclose any name changes in the last five years on their petitions paperwork, with exemptions for name changes due to marriage. But the law isn’t listed in the 33-page candidate requirement guide and there is no space on the petition paperwork to list any former names.

Childrey, who legally changed her name in 2020, said she would have provided her deadname if she had known about the law.

These aren't the brightest stars in the sky.

But the law isn’t listed in the 33-page candidate requirement guide and there is no space on the petition paperwork to list any former names.
You're right. I can't believe they didn't know about the law that wasn't listed anywhere, is never enforced, which most lawmakers didn't even know about and also cannot be followed because the paperwork doesn't even have a place to declare former names.

You're right. I can't believe they didn't know about the law that wasn't listed anywhere, is never enforced, which most lawmakers didn't even know about and also cannot be followed because the paperwork doesn't even have a place to declare former names.
How dare these candidates not know about an obscure law not mentioned ANYWHERE in the application, petition, website for the board of elections, etc.

How dare these candidates not know about an obscure law not mentioned ANYWHERE in the application, petition, website for the board of elections, etc.
Indeed. Luckily our democracy was protected from these devious charlatans as we can't have politicians who don't follow even the most obscure and inconsequential laws set a bad standard for the public. Their removal from the ballot and disqualification from office is completely justified.

Anyway can't wait to vote for Trump in 2024 🇺🇲

Indeed. Luckily our democracy was protected from these devious charlatans as we can't have politicians who don't follow even the most obscure and inconsequential laws set a bad standard for the public. Their removal from the ballot and disqualification from office is completely justified.

May his reign be long and glorious!

That's too bad. Sorry to see that.

I believe the idea is that ignorance of the law does not excuse breaking the law

I believe the idea is that ignorance of the law does not excuse breaking the law
Yes, I agree. Not only should they not be allowed to be on the ballot, I think they should also be prosecuted.

The nerve of some people.

It reeks of leopard urine.

“But Mr Dent, the plans have been available in the local planning office for the last nine months.”
“Oh yes, well as soon as I heard I went straight round to see them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn’t exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them, had you? I mean, like actually telling anybody or anything.”
“But the plans were on display …”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard’.”

~ Douglas Adams from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Yes, I agree. Not only should they not be allowed to be on the ballot, I think they should also be prosecuted.

The nerve of some people.

Why do folks who transition feel a need to change names? It makes sense to keep same names. Say John Smith. Can say, henceforth John Smith Trans. Or formerly John Smith Cis. Just introduce more suffixes into the language to append to names.

As a Trumpist I am disinclined towards prosecutions, given how this has been abused in the case of Trump

As a Trumpist I am disinclined towards prosecutions, given how this has been abused in the case of Trump

Nothing a criminal hates more than a judge.

It reeks of leopard urine.

“But Mr Dent, the plans have been available in the local planning office for the last nine months.”
“Oh yes, well as soon as I heard I went straight round to see them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn’t exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them, had you? I mean, like actually telling anybody or anything.”
“But the plans were on display …”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard’.”

~ Douglas Adams from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

LOL Valuable plans must be well protected. Preferably by dragons. But leopards will do in case dragons are unavailable.

To be fair, if the requirement isn’t listed on the candidate paperwork, and people in the appropriate government offices aren’t aware of the law, it really has nothing to do with the intelligence of the candidate.

Nothing a criminal hates more than a judge.

Honest men as well. I am not exactly a criminal, yet I dread nothing like finding myself in the windowless offices of a judge. I wound up before one for expired tags and license- I blame it on Covid- a few months ago. The judge was nice, but it still was stiffling in his windowless offices.

just in case, tags and license are current

Honest men as well. I am not exactly a criminal, yet I dread nothing like finding myself in the windowless offices of a judge. I would up before one for expired tags and license- I blame it on Covid- a few months ago. The judge was nice, but it still was stiffling in his windowless offices

I was thinking more of Trump.

As far as facing civilian judges, I have only done it once and like you, it was for a minor vehicle issue (if I were a wanted man, I would use public transportation exclusively).

Why do folks who transition feel a need to change names? It makes sense to keep same names. Say John Smith. Can say, henceforth John Smith Trans. Or formerly John Smith Cis. Just introduce more suffixes into the language to append to names.
Conservatives would literally rather address trans people like they have feudal English lord titles and keep track of who is trans and who isn't than just respect their name that aligns with their gender.

From now on you can address me as the The Right Honorable @Nomad4Ever, the first of her name, trans of gender, defiler of masculinity, wearer of dresses, protector of gays, taker of naps, great general of the justice wars, spreader of sexual anarchy, and politics debtor extraordinaire.

Another ploy by the Genital Obsessed Party.

Transgender candidate facing disqualification now cleared to run despite omitting deadname​

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A transgender candidate vying for a seat in the Republican-majority Ohio House was cleared to run Thursday after her certification had been called into question for omitting her former name on qualifying petitions as required by a little-used state elections law.

The Mercer County Board of Elections chose not take up a vote on disqualifying Arienne Childrey, a Democrat from Auglaize County who is one of four transgender individuals campaigning for the Legislature, for not disclosing her previous name on petition paperwork.

Childrey, who legally changed her name in 2020, has said she would have provided her deadname — the name a transgender person was assigned at birth but does not align with their gender identity — if she had known about the law.

“I would have filled out whatever was necessary, because at the end of the day, while it would have been a hit to my pride, there is something much more important than my pride, and that’s fighting for this community,” Childrey said.
==============================================
Good for her/him.

Conservatives would literally rather address trans people like they have feudal English lord titles and keep track of who is trans and who isn't than just respect their name that aligns with their gender.

A woman and a trans man are two different things. A woman is not a trans man, and vice versa.

From now on you can address me as the The Right Honorable @Nomad4Ever, the first of her name, trans of gender, defiler of masculinity, wearer of dresses, protector of gays, taker of naps, great general of the justice wars, spreader of sexual anarchy, and politics debtor extraordinaire.

Agree, with minor adjustments.

The Right Honourable individual, the first of his name, trans of gender, protector of gays, great general of the justice wars, champion of sexual diversity, politics extraordinaire; is how I will address some such individual

A woman and a trans man are two different things. A woman is not a trans man, and vice versa.
I agree, but I'm not following how this relates to what name you refer to someone as?

Agree, with minor adjustments.

The Right Honourable individual, the first of his name, trans of gender, protector of gays, great general of the justice wars, champion of sexual diversity, politics extraordinaire; is how I will address some such individual
Acceptable.

I believe that it is common that ignorance of a law is not an excuse for breaking it.

To be fair, if the requirement isn’t listed on the candidate paperwork, and people in the appropriate government offices aren’t aware of the law, it really has nothing to do with the intelligence of the candidate.
Surely every candidate for any state office should be expected to read a few hundred thousand pages of state law.

Back
Top Bottom