• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Another Bush crony bites the dust

aps said:
I'm just pointing out that Bush claimed he would restore integrity to the White House. Instances such as this do not lend credence to his assertion. In fact, they directly refute it.

So by appointing him, he no longer desires to restore integrity? Sorry, but I don't see the connection. What about Bush removing him? Does he not get any credit for righting a wrong? Bush bashing has some funny rules.

I think he has restored integrity and you think he hasn't. And opinion is what makes the world go around.

KCConservative said:
So we agree then. There's no crime. And let's not forget, whether someone is qualified for a job or not, is a very subjective thing. It's opinion, at best.

For some, I guess, it's used as another opportunity to find reason to bash Bush.

Sorry I prefer my doctor pass the medical boards, my lawyer to pass the bar and the people in charge at NASA (which my tax dollars fund) have credible experience and education. So no it's not that subjective, it's not "opinion, at best."

You can think this all about Bush bashing all you want. If he didn't keep appointing people like this; people wouldn't have ammunition to bash. Or at a min. the bashing would look a whole lot less accurate. Liberals tried this same tactic with Clinton. Though had Clinton not lied...

KCConservative said:
So by appointing him, he no longer desires to restore integrity? Sorry, but I don't see the connection. What about Bush removing him? Does he not get any credit for righting a wrong? Bush bashing has some funny rules.

I think he has restored integrity and you think he hasn't. And opinion is what makes the world go around.

By making him and other political appointees force scientists to change their opinions so that they mesh with his policy -- that is the behavior of a person with no integrity.

aps said:
By making him and other political appointees force scientists to change their opinions so that they mesh with his policy -- that is the behavior of a person with no integrity.
Wait, Bush forced the NASA scientists? I thought Deutsch was the one who worked there?

KCConservative said:
Wait, Bush forced the NASA scientists? I thought Deutsch was the one who worked there?

Do you think that Deutsch came up with this policy by himself? That he went on his own accord and stifled the NASA scientists? I don't hold Bush accountable for everything a political appointee does, but in this circumstance, I will. If, say, the Secretary of Veterans Affairs was told that he had to cut veterans' benefits by the White House, I certainly wouldn't blame Nicholson for the cut.

aps said:
Do you think that Deutsch came up with this policy by himself? That he went on his own accord and stifled the NASA scientists?
Gosh, I really have no idea. But it's clear that you do.

While everybody is looking at this like some bigwig went down, may I remind the forum of the actual article?...

Mr. Deutsch, 24, was offered a job as a writer and editor in NASA's public affairs office in Washington last year after working on President Bush's re-election campaign and inaugural committee, according to his résumé. No one has disputed those parts of the document.

That's it folks!..No "Director"...No "Administrator"...Nothing from a scientic or technological standpoint...A freakin' writer...

Follow on in the article...

Yesterday, Dr. Hansen said that the questions about Mr. Deutsch's credentials were important, but were a distraction from the broader issue of political control of scientific information.

"He's only a bit player," Dr. Hansen said of Mr. Deutsch. " The problem is much broader and much deeper and it goes across agencies. That's what I'm really concerned about."

This is like appointing someone to MicroSoft's mailroom...

How many positions like this does every administration make?...I guess we're now expecting perfection even down to the lowest levels...

It fell through the cracks...yay...

If this were another Brown/FEMA deal, I would understand it...But a writer?...

I understand it's bad...But it's a molehill people...That's all it is...

cnredd said:
I understand it's bad...But it's a molehill people...That's all it is...
Even a molehill can warrant a good Bush bashing.

KCConservative said:
Gosh, I really have no idea. But it's clear that you do.

It's a pattern.

Ex-oil lobbyist quits White House job
Official reportedly edited warming, emission link

WASHINGTON - A senior official at the White House Council on Environmental Quality has resigned, days after a newspaper reported he changed some government reports to downplay links between greenhouse gas emissions and global warming.

Philip Cooney, the council’s chief of staff and a former energy industry lobbyist, resigned on Friday, two days after The New York Times reported he edited some descriptions of climate research in a way that cast doubt on links between greenhouse gas emissions and rising temperatures. . . .

Cooney is a lawyer who previously worked for the American Petroleum Institute, which like the Bush administration opposes mandatory curbs on greenhouse gas emissions.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8137646/

Notice that he resigned as well following exposure of his altering documents.

tecoyah said:
I read this a couple days ago....and refrained from posting it here, primarily because I knew it would be disregarded at best, and I would be accused of hating bush at the worst. I do see this as standard practice in this administration though, and as I find science to be of utmost importance to the future of this country, it worries me.

The guy lied on his resume got caught and "resigned", how do you extrapolate out that to be a "standard practice".

There there, Mr. Deutsch. We know you need to cover your butt and blame everyone else for lying about your having pressured them to alter scientific findings. Yeah, you with your lying on your resume about having a college degree--we believe everything you say. Everyone working at NASA who spoke against you is just making stuff up. :roll:

Ex-Press Aide for NASA Offers Defense
By ANDREW C. REVKIN

George C. Deutsch, the young NASA press aide who resigned on Tuesday amid claims that he had tried to keep the agency's top climate scientist from speaking publicly about global warming, defended himself publicly yesterday.

Speaking to a Texas radio station and then to The New York Times, Mr. Deutsch said the scientist, James E. Hansen, exaggerated the threat of warming and tried to cast the Bush administration's response to it as inadequate. . .

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/10/science/10nasa.html?

KCConservative said:
“no longer”? Yeah, he was doing such a good job at it up until now, maybe we should give the poor fellow a fifty-seven hundred and eighty-fourth chance…what’s the worst that could happen?

Actually……now that I think about it, I guess I can see KC’s point. I mean, as long as the president is hiring valued and respected yes-men and women to every available position, what right does the general public have to contravene him? Qualifications? Pfffft. If the American public was worried about such a small thing as having qualified people working for their government, would they have elected Bush in the first place?

Befuddled_Stoner said:
If the American public was worried about such a small thing as having qualified people working for their government, would they have elected Bush in the first place?

Thanks for the best laugh I've had all morning!

Back
Top Bottom