• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Animism

Don't hold your breath. There are only woo sites.

If that is a true statement, then I can expect one of several things to happen. 1) My request is ignored, which is a tacit admission no site exists, 2) I get a diversionary tactic avoiding the request, or 3) A so called 'woo' site is offered as evidence. If any of those happen, then it discredits the original claim.

All primitive societies studied by anthropologists have believed in animism. This is the idea that all things in the world have souls, or spirits. Everything in nature is "alive," in a way. This often goes along with the idea that there are spirit worlds, and that when people die their spirit survives.

Currently there are ideas such as panpsychism or panexperientialism, which are increasingly being taken seriously by some philosophers and scientists. And these ideas seem to resemble animism.

Materialism had become popular among scientists and philosophers in the 20th century, and some refuse to let go of it.

Materialism is the idea that mind is created by matter. Animism, and panpsychism, are the opposite -- they say the matter is created by mind, and that consciousness underlies our reality.

I think I know why materialism has been popular, and why some refuse to let it go -- if nature is dead and mindless, then it will be possible for human scientists and engineers to completely understand nature, and re-make it according to their desires.

If nature is alive and conscious, on the other hand, our little human minds will never be capable of understanding it completely. That would be disappointing for anyone with the grandiose plan of dominating nature.

so do you expect that nature will alter how physics and chemistry work at some point and will keep doing so fast enough for patterns not to be figured out?

Returning to the reason for this post:

The universal religion of all primitive humans is animism, the belief that spirit animates the world.

And, interestingly, various forms of animism are being taken seriously again, because of advances in modern science.

Don't hold your breath. There are only woo sites.

If that is a true statement, then I can expect one of several things to happen. 1) My request is ignored, which is a tacit admission no site exists, 2) I get a diversionary tactic avoiding the request, or 3) A so called 'woo' site is offered as evidence. If any of those happen, then it discredits the original claim.
They're pitching "woo" again, G4N. Losers can't tell when they've lost.

“Souls” are the answer for people who do not understand neuroscience.

Returning to the reason for this post:

The universal religion of all primitive humans is animism, the belief that spirit animates the world.

And, interestingly, various forms of animism are being taken seriously again, because of advances in modern science.
I Good4Nothin

Back
Top Bottom