• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Angry at the unvaccinated? Here's a better way

trixare4kids

Trix has reentered the building.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

As I keep saying, we can, the government can lead people to water, and so can all well meaning souls, but they can't nor should they demand they drink the water.
The authors of the article above explains why force, bullying, name-calling won't work. It's just good judgement and common sense that you dont.

(CNN)Many vaccinated people are angry at those who aren't. If you've had your Covid shots, you may agree with Gov. Kay Ivey of Alabama, who said recently: "Folks supposed to have common sense, but it's time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks, not the regular folks. It's the unvaccinated folks that are letting us down.
And it's not just the masses who are letting us down but people close to us: our coworkers, friends, family members. You may be furious at what you see as the selfishness and ignorance and lack of civic responsibility in the people in your life who refuse to get the jab.
And you're not alone -- social media is rife with posts that attempt to convince people to get vaccinated by explaining how wrongheaded they are. It's human nature. You might be doing the same kind of browbeating yourself.
But here's a question: How's that strategy working for you? After you lay into the anti-vaxxers and the vaccine-hesitant, are they thanking you for setting them straight and rushing to make appointments?
Our guess is, that's not what's happening.
Instead, those conversations get heated, things get said that can't be unsaid and you both leave feeling angry, frustrated and resentful. In the moment, it can feel good to indulge our emotions and let them have it. But the cost is high: We damage the relationship and they don't get vaccinated. Even when we present them with clear, seemingly convincing facts.

There's a well-documented phenomenon in psychology called the "backfire effect." Giving people facts disproving their incorrect beliefs can actually reinforce those beliefs. Researchers have observed this phenomenon in the context of political misconceptions, voting preferences, the decision to vaccinate one's children and whether to get a flu vaccine oneself. The more people are confronted with facts at odds with their opinions, the stronger they cling to those opinions.
And if arguing with facts backfires, you know what backfires even more? Criticizing, blaming and shaming them for being thoughtless, selfish, stupid, ignorant or psychopathic. You can check this yourself: When was the last time you changed your behavior in response to someone blaming or shaming you?
We want to say that we feel your pain. We're both vaccinated. We're disappointed that the Delta variant, combined with widespread vaccine hesitancy, is prolonging the pandemic and necessitating continued mask mandates and lockdowns to control its spread. And we're mortified at the resulting unnecessary suffering and loss of life. We're angry too
Our approach hinges on your willingness to give up control; to acknowledge that the person you're trying to change has autonomy and will make their own decision. Of course, what you're giving up isn't control; it's the illusion of control. The person you're talking to is always free to get vaccinated -- or not. You don't get to choose for them. That's why you're trying so hard to convince them.
So when we can't persuade with facts or criticism, what can we lead with instead?
Two things: empathy and curiosity.

Continued via the link above.

Last edited:

As I keep saying, we can, the government can lead people to water, and so can all well meaning souls, but they can't nor should they demand they drink the water.
The authors of the article above explains why force, bullying, name-calling won't work. It's just good judgement and common sense that you dont.
I've always felt that if you expect to reach people with reasoning, behaving unreasonably is not going to work effectively.

It's true fragile egos dig in deeper when confronted

Or maybe antivaxxers could stop acting like spoiled children?
It requires admitting acting like a moron. Like a spoiled toddler. That's not going to happen.

LOL The OP article describes it:

"There's a well-documented phenomenon in psychology called the "backfire effect." Giving people facts disproving their incorrect beliefs can actually reinforce those beliefs. Researchers have observed this phenomenon in the context of political misconceptions, voting preferences, the decision to vaccinate one's children and whether to get a flu vaccine oneself. The more people are confronted with facts at odds with their opinions, the stronger they cling to those opinions."​

"Stupid is as stupid does."

Last edited:
It requires admitting acting like a moron. Like a spoiled toddler. That's not going to happen.
These people are just so privileged beyond measure… hooping and hollering about having to wear a simple mask even. People are scared of calling an ambulance in this country having to wear a mask is such a simple thing.

Mostly, the bullying, scapegoating and haranguing just isn't moving the needle.
Again today, Biden is repeating himself, urging vaccinations. Why does he think the 395th time will be any different?

And what's the goal? Getting people vaccinated or saving lives?
Vaccination is but one way to avoid morbidity and mortality from covid.
Therapeutics, all but ignored by Biden for an entire year, are another.
As is testing.

And Biden didn't even come up with the vaccine. Trump did.

Or maybe the hyperventilating vaxxers could stop acting like chicken little.
If you or one of your loved ones has a health issue that could be fatal if they become infected by covid, you might hyperventilate at the sight of a mob of unmasked, coughing people too.

Sorry but when I see videos like this when a father will not get vaccinated and their 4 year old son has leukemia, it makes me angry and I will not hold back calling the guy a selfish prick who doesn't give a **** about their own child.

Mostly, the bullying, scapegoating and haranguing just isn't moving the needle.
Again today, Biden is repeating himself, urging vaccinations. Why does he think the 395th time will be any different?

And what's the goal? Getting people vaccinated or saving lives?
Vaccination is but one way to avoid morbidity and mortality from covid.
Therapeutics, all but ignored by Biden for an entire year, are another.
As is testing.

And Biden didn't even come up with the vaccine. Trump did.

It is hard to confront that such a large % of your nation are bitter, petty, and stupid to the point of endangering themselves and others. I guess he just thought better of most of these people...had more faith in them.

But...they suck 🤷

I long for the good old days, when government actually wanted its citizens to live, and demanded polio, smallpox, and other vaccines for public safety purposes.

Or maybe antivaxxers could stop acting like spoiled children?
You are making the OP's point. Why would you automatically assume that all vaccine avoidance is based on being a "spoiled child"?

The FDA approved these vaccines for EMERGENCY use without them passing the full course of peer review, and then in the next phase we saw states and busineesses taking the steps to MANDATE the vaccines, even in cases where a person may have legitimate concerns about how these vaccines may affect their bodies. We have seen PREGNANT woman fired from their jobs after refusing to take a vaccine which is still not fully tested. Sorry, but that is not a person whom you should be calling a "spoiled child", where is YOUR ability to be reasonable?

The vaccines are very important stop gap measures especially for the elderly, people with underlying health conditions, and especially people who are obese or diabeic. But they are NOT a one size fits all solution for everyone, especially young healthy people, people who have already some natural immunity, or women of child bearing age who have legitimate concerns of how these vaccines may affect their menstrual cycles.

SPOILED CHILDREN best describes people who are demanding compliance from everyone, irrespective of an individual's personal choice.

It's baffling that that they think belittling and berating people is an effective strategy. Makes me wonder how they raise their kids.

It's baffling that that they think belittling and berating people is an effective strategy. Makes me wonder how they raise their kids.

I'm sure I could look through your posting history and find no evidence you belittle or berate anyone, right?

What a stupid post.

Now that right there looks like an effective strategy to me.

The reason the SHEEP were told to be angry at the un-Vaxxed was because they want to get the Government to buy as many
Shots from big pharma as they can!
At ~ $2K a pop , say 100M->200M people .... That's a lot of dough!

Think about it "IF" Person "A" gets Vaxxed, wears masks , social distance....
That would make what other people do irrelevant ?
And if Covid is as lethal as the tell you all the non Vaxxed would die off....

Well except for the fact that Covid has a > 98% survival rate !...

It should be noted that what we have IS NOT a TRADITIONAL Vaccine!
It is more like " An Experimental Gene Therapy Inoculation" That's only been in it's
"TRIAL PHASE" for ~ 1 year ....

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 9
  • BlameNonVax.jpg
    BlameNonVax.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 9
It is hard to confront that such a large % of your nation are bitter, petty, and stupid to the point of endangering themselves and others. I guess he just thought better of most of these people...had more faith in them.

But...they suck 🤷
How do they endanger others?
Facts, first.
First, vaccinated can and have been spreading covid.
Second, natural immunity is real.
Third, unless you're wearing a FITTED 95 mask, that cloth covering your face ain't doing shit.
Go.

I hate them.

I do no business with them. I encourage others to do no business with them.

deplorables

Covidiots have been coddled for months.

All this whining about liberals being meanies wont change things at all. We need to increase pressure and make being unvaccinated unpleasant. No restaurants, bars, public gatherings without proof of vaccination. Why are we letting unvaxxxed people on airplanes? Health insurance regulations should be relaxed and insurers should be able to charge higher premiums for unvaxxed.

It’s time to stop coddling these selfish, ignorant assholes.

Back
Top Bottom