• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"And another one gone and another one gone Another one bites the dust"...6th Russian General KIA

eohrnberger

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Are the generals figuring out that if they return to Moscow it'd be their heads anyway?

That, or the Ukrainian snipers are doing really well.

Felis Leo

Moral clarity is needed
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Are the generals figuring out that if they return to Moscow it'd be their heads anyway?

That, or the Ukrainian snipers are doing really well.

Assuming we don't annihilate ourselves in World War 3, Russian veterans will be meeting decades from now in the bars staring into the bottom of their vodka glasses and reminiscing about surviving the mud and misery, and rocket and sniper fire on the Ukrainian coast.

watsup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
It shows that the Russian generals are at or near the front lines. Quite different from American generals in recent wars. Maybe there were, but I can think of a single general that has been killed “in action” since and including the Vietnam War. The Marine general who was in charge of the ground portion of the invasion of Iraq would come out to see what was happening during the day, and then retire to air conditioned quarters and meals at the Officer’s Club in the evening.

Felis Leo

Moral clarity is needed
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
It shows that the Russian generals are at or near the front lines. Quite different from American generals in recent wars. Maybe there were, but I can think of a single general that has been killed “in action” since and including the Vietnam War. The Marine general who was in charge of the ground portion of the invasion of Iraq would come out to see what was happening during the day, and then retire to air conditioned quarters and meals at the Officer’s Club in the evening.

It sounds like there is no safely-held zone of control in which a Russian command center is truly secured from Ukrainian infiltration and attack.

craig

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
This just shows that the Russian chain of command is unreliable or broken.

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
When, oh when, is the Russian military going to oust that war criminal and thug (President Biden's words)?

Why, oh why, is he being allowed to get so many Ukrainian and Russian soldiers killed?

Not to mention so many civilians also being killed.

My dream: Israeli special forces grab him in the Kremlin and deliver his sorry [posterior] to the International Court of Justice.

jpn

Retired Navy Commander
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I'm guessing that the high death rate of senior Russian officers is partly a consequence of the Russian military's general lack of initiative and lack of well-trained junior officers and NCOs.

The generals feel they have to be up front in order to unf**k things. And they get killed as a result. This isn't necessary in militaries such as the US where the NCOs, junior- and mid-level officers are smart, experienced, have a thorough comprehension of mission goals, and, crucially, are strongly motivated.

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I follow Mark Hertling for his insight.

Reactions: jpn

Rogue Valley

Putin = War Criminal
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
CNN reports that Russia is pulling occupation forces from Georgia for Ukraine duty.

Rogue Valley

Putin = War Criminal
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

eohrnberger

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Lost that many troops, have they?

I thought that it was more a supply and re-supply problem complicated by the Spring thawing.
The Russians should know about that.
They took advantage of the same during WW II.

jpn

Retired Navy Commander
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

maxparrish

Conservatarian
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Lost that many troops, have they?

I thought that it was more a supply and re-supply problem complicated by the Spring thawing.
The Russians should know about that.
They took advantage of the same during WW II.

I understand that the warm spring rains have just arrived...more mud than ever?

maxparrish

Conservatarian
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

PeacefulWarrior

I am not a robot.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
That makes seven senior officers, six generals and one naval commander, KIA... amazing.

Yay, war is just like an NFL game!! AWESOME!!!

:rolleyes:

maxparrish

Conservatarian
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Yay, war is just like an NFL game!! AWESOME!!!

:rolleyes:

Very awesome when it's a Russian general participating in these wars of aggression to kill innocents. They weren't conscripts, they got what they earned.

eohrnberger

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I understand that the warm spring rains have just arrived...more mud than ever?
Sure to make the heavy mechanized equipment less easily mobile.
Fixed targets are easier to hit.

Rogue Valley

Putin = War Criminal
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Here's a good article on the value of NCOs...which the Russian Army is lacking.

Western militaries rely on their NCO's and soldier initiative.

When something is FUBAR in a Russian operation, a high ranking officer has to straighten things out in person which is probably why so many are taking a bullet in the head.

Top Bottom