• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An intelligence test for either side of the political spectrum.

SNOWFLAKE

Crazy Canuck
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I have wanted to post this for a while but couldn't think of what heading to put this under, so I will attempt it here, even though it might get moved.

I have a challenge for those who lean either right or left or down the middle.

It's a simple 10 question intelligence test. Yes, I know the answers, without having to look them up. So let's see who can answer the following 10 questions without looking up the answer, (also suggest not sneaking a peek at previous answers but answering in your own way) and without resorting to deflections . I mean, if you don't know the answers, there is no shame in saying so or simply skipping the questions.

1. If the sun rises in the east and settles in the west, which way does the earth rotate?

2. What is the capital of Canada?

3. Who was Socrates?

4. Is Australia a country or a continent?

5. What is the square root of pi, rounded out to three decimals?

6. What is the official title of the countries that used to make up Czechoslovakia?

7. When was the concept of Democracy born? (approximately) And where?

8. Everyone knows who the first President of the US was, but who was the 2nd?

9. What is the original origin of the English language?

10. Which candidate legitimately won the 2020 election for President of the United States?

I have wanted to post this for a while but couldn't think of what heading to put this under, so I will attempt it here, even though it might get moved.

It's a simple 10 question intelligence test. Yes, I know the answers, without having to look them up. So let's see who can answer the following 10 questions without looking up the answer, (also suggest not sneaking a peek at previous answers but answering in your own way) and without resorting to deflections . I mean, if you don't know the answers, there is no shame in saying so or simply skipping the questions.

1. If the sun rises in the east and settles in the west, which way does the earth rotate?

3. Who was Socrates?

6. What is the official title of the countries that used to make up Czechoslovakia?

10. Which candidate legitimately won the 2020 election for President of the United States?

1. Counterclockwise when viewed from the North Pole.

2. Toronto?

3. A greek philosopher

4. Both

5. Not a ****ing clue

6. Czech Republic and Slovakia

7. Athens. Not sure when.

8. John Adams

9. Proto-indo-european

10. Biden

You have a very weird idea of what counts as "intelligence"

Since it's flat, it rotates like a spinning pizza, except with mountains instead of pepperoni.
Elsinore.
3. Who was Socrates?
He hung out with Bill and Ted.
Someone argued yesterday that it doesn't exist.
Blueberry.
Those damned commies.
James Madison and friends conjured it from the ether and improved it with commas.
John Adams.
It happened gradually when the English kicked out the Romans and then wouldn't stop talking about it.
Joe Biden.

Since it's flat, it rotates like a spinning pizza, except with mountains instead of pepperoni.

Elsinore.

He hung out with Bill and Ted.

Someone argued yesterday that it doesn't exist.

Blueberry.

Those damned commies.

James Madison and friends conjured it from the ether and improved it with commas.

John Adams.

It happened gradually when the English kicked out the Romans and then wouldn't stop talking about it.

Joe Biden.
Well you got two right ;)
Appreciated your sense of humor as well, glad to see there is ONE mod on here with a sense of humor 😄

1. Counterclockwise when viewed from the North Pole.

2. Toronto?

3. A greek philosopher

4. Both

5. Not a ****ing clue

6. Czech Republic and Slovakia

7. Athens. Not sure when.

8. John Adams

9. Proto-indo-european

10. Biden

You have a very weird idea of what counts as "intelligence"
Well all intelligence tests I have taken include questions that are generally known so see if we know them.
#5 admittedly was the hardest, but I knew it from talks I have had with squareheads like myself
You got 7 right, was around 500 BC, yup BC.
9. Cute. I actually "got" that, not sure many others would.

I think this would be more effective if the test consisted of debunked conspiracy theories and people had to choose between true and false

Well all intelligence tests I have taken include questions that are generally known so see if we know them.
#5 admittedly was the hardest, but I knew it from talks I have had with squareheads like myself
You got 7 right, was around 500 BC, yup BC.
9. Cute. I actually "got" that, not sure many others would.

Actually, #9 isn't wholly correct. The origin of the English language as we know it today is an unlikely and fascinating blend of proto-indo-European; a root language we now commonly and retroactively call Englisc which also fathered what is now modern German, among other languages; Latin; and Greek. These were all mingling in occupied Britain even during late Roman times for certain purposes (Greek to the least extent), for reference.

This is just off the top of my head, I'm sure Googling will give something more concise.

However, the roots of Cornish and Welsh are very Celtic, yes.

I absolutely love English, the weird, wacky, gorgeous thing that it is. 💕

Last edited:

3. Who was Socrates?

The answer is 3.

This is a Socratic intelligence test.

Actually, #9 isn't wholly correct. The origin of the English language as we know it today is an unlikely and fascinating blend of proto-indo-European; a root language we now commonly call Englisc which also fathered what is now modern German, among other languages; Latin; and Greek. These were all mingling in occupied Britain even during Roman occupation times, for reference.

This is just off the top of my head, I'm sure Googling will give something more concise.

I absolutely love English, the weird, wacky, gorgeous thing that it is. 💕
True, but Anglo-Saxons brought the language to the British shores and was derived from a German language known at the time as Ingvaeonic, at least that is what I was taught in school 100 years ago. The short version I have understood simply says that English was derived from the German language (hence, may similarities).

I think this would be more effective if the test consisted of debunked conspiracy theories and people had to choose between true and false
Didn't know the answer to most of them is why you are suggesting different questions?????

Well you got two right ;)
Appreciated your sense of humor as well, glad to see there is ONE mod on here with a sense of humor 😄
Thanks, I'll be here all week. Tip your bartenders and waitresses.

True, but Anglo-Saxons brought the language to the British shores and was derived from a German language known at the time as Ingvaeonic, at least that is what I was taught in school 100 years ago. The short version I have understood simply says that English was derived from the German language (hence, may similarities).

Right, but that's not the whole story.

English is a blend of the various languages I mentioned. "Englisc" (retroactive name based on just one locale; your mention of Ingvaeeonic, I believe, was actually a language family, there were many nations/tribes with their own dialects/languages) was only one part. It was and is a strong part, but English didn't come and stamp out existing languages any more than Latin did in Roman-occupied areas, nor Greek in scholarly enclaves such as monasteries.

Largely for matters of commerce, but also due to marriage and for other reasons, the languages blended and became, ultimately, which we now call Old English -- fascinating, and unrecognizable to the modern-day reader as English -- and evolved from there, as all languages do and continue to do.

So "the root" of English is definitely not singularly proto-Celtic, not is it singularly Germanic. It is a unique blend of several languages in Britain. We think of it as entirely Germanic because the word is Germanic, but that is not the case. It's one part of the story.

Last edited:

3. Who was Socrates?

For an in depth study of question #9, I recommend The Adventure Of English. It's a ITV documentary based on a book of the same title from 2003. It's been in my book/video libraries since shortly after that date and offers a more complex answer.

Last edited:
Right, but that's not the whole story.

English is a blend of the various languages I mentioned. "Englisc" (retroactive name based on just one locale; your mention of Ingvaeeonic, I believe, was actually a language family, there were many nations/tribes with their own dialects/languages) was only one part. It was and is a strong part, but English didn't come and stamp out existing languages any more than Latin did in Roman-occupied areas, nor Greek in scholarly enclaves such as monasteries.

Largely for matters of commerce, but also due to marriage and for other reasons, the languages blended and became, ultimately, which we now call Old English -- fascinating, and unrecognizable to the modern-day reader as English -- and evolved from there, as all languages do and continue to do.

So "the root" of English is definitely not singularly proto-Celtic, not is it singularly Germanic. It is a unique blend of several languages in Britain. We think of it as entirely Germanic because the word is Germanic, but that is not the case. It's one part of the story.
Whatcha tryin' to do? Show me up?? :sneaky:

I don't care about the other questions.
Nice defense, but I don't know the answer would have been more honest. You could ALWAYS cheat and look them up or see the answers from those on this thread that do know the answer.

Nice defense, but I don't know the answer would have been more honest. You could ALWAYS cheat and look them up or see the answers from those on this thread that do know the answer.
What part of "I don't care" do you not understand?

btw, I've noticed you didn't address my answer to your question #10. Why?

It was a joke, snowflake. Sorry to disturb your thread.

Lemme know how your partisan effort turns out. Because we know Republicans are monumentally stupid, yes?
ok, I take back my previous comment. It was a joke but then as per usual for you, you have to dig into your snarky bag of tricks and make this ABOUT ME, to cover for your embarrassment of not knowing the answers to most of those questions.
As I advised Mycroft, you could have looked up the answers instead of getting defensive and making it personal, but maybe you didn't think of that possibility.

Back
Top Bottom