• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

amendment changes?

chal7ds

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Hello everyone,

I was wondering today...if someone wanted to try and help change one of the amendments to our constitution, what would that person have to do?

For instance, let's say the 2nd amendment. As a citizen of the United States, what are my options on trying to influence a rewrite or a change to it?

I know this is a HUGE weighted question and I wrote it simply, but I am curious what one would have to do in order to do this and i'd like to open a discussion on it...

thanks for any suggestions, ideas, etc..

chal7ds

chal7ds said:
Hello everyone,

I was wondering today...if someone wanted to try and help change one of the amendments to our constitution, what would that person have to do?

For instance, let's say the 2nd amendment. As a citizen of the United States, what are my options on trying to influence a rewrite or a change to it?

I know this is a HUGE weighted question and I wrote it simply, but I am curious what one would have to do in order to do this and i'd like to open a discussion on it...

thanks for any suggestions, ideas, etc..

chal7ds

Well, that someone would somehow have to manage eliciting either 2/3 of the state legislatures or congress just to propose amending the Constitution. For an amendment to be made, it would have to be ratified by 37 (3/4) of the state legislatures.

My question for you is what would you propose be changed in the Constitution?

Me? I'd repeal the 16th amendment.

So how do I elicit a message(s) to my state legislature?

I would change the 16th amendment too man..lol..but first things first.. :)

chal7ds

chal7ds said:
So how do I elicit a message(s) to my state legislature?

I would change the 16th amendment too man..lol..but first things first.. :)

chal7ds

It's a futile cause, but any success in such an endeavor would most likely need to begin with a grassroots movement.

What would be the best way to get a grassroots movement in progress? Talk to friends, family, strangers with a petition ballot or hand out flyers?? How does the wheel start spinning on something like that?

chal7ds said:
What would be the best way to get a grassroots movement in progress? Talk to friends, family, strangers with a petition ballot or hand out flyers?? How does the wheel start spinning on something like that?

Pray. Seriously, I hate discouraging people, but it's almost impossible to change the Constitution.

Ok..what if i told you that i still want to try, even though i know it will fail? Could you still give me a general idea of what i would need to do to try?

appreciate any help...

Kelzie said:
Pray. Seriously, I hate discouraging people, but it's almost impossible to change the Constitution.

Which is probably why the Supreme Court has been used to liberally
interpret it. Good, bad or indifferent that has been the case.

chal7ds said:
Ok..what if i told you that i still want to try, even though i know it will fail? Could you still give me a general idea of what i would need to do to try?

appreciate any help...

Write your congess people. That would be a good start. Since that's not going to work, if you still want to persue it, you should start a grass roots group. Get people together who agree with you and brainstorm ways to get the message out.

my state congress or federal congress?

chal7ds said:
my state congress or federal congress?

Well federal would be the ones that could change the US Constitution.

ok..so basically, write mad letters to these idiots and then try to get a whole bunch of people on my side right?

cool..i'm on it...

:)

chal7ds said:
ok..so basically, write mad letters to these idiots and then try to get a whole bunch of people on my side right?

cool..i'm on it...

:)

Just out of curiosity, what do you want to change in the Constitution?

I don't think putting metal through someone's skin to kill them is a very good idea..so i wanna stop it. sorry, wish i had a more extensive argument, but that's basically why i want to change it.

Back
Top Bottom