• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alarming' increase in law enforcement officers killed this year

Uhh...apparently you don't understand that the President has jack shit to do with law enforcement or the disposition of the states. What a dumb ****ing comment.

The former guy has expressed support for the gratuitous use of violence by police. He quoted an infamous racist police chief about shooting looters.

Yes, yes all looters deserve to be shot to serve as an example to everyone else, but there is such a rich history of cops killing blacks and blacks responding with riots and looting that this isn't a very effective way to address the problem and, indeed, liable to make it quite a bit worse. But racists love it and so do many cops. A coincidence, I'm sure.

Traffic stops are how we get lots of criminals with warrants and illegal guns off of the street. The less traffic stops cops are making, the more these criminals and their guns are out causing harm.

You speak to a greater problem here. Many of the people you refer to here have outstanding warrants for fees owed that they cannot afford to pay. These fees are assessed for minor crimes and violations and were created, as the DOJ pointed out when studying Ferguson, to fund community services while cutting taxes for the upper class. A vast number of poor and working class people have these outstanding warrants.Those that owe are afraid to get stopped because if they are arrested for the outstanding warrant, they risk losing their jobs..

So,, in effect, these cops become bill collectors, and it is causing a large number of these altercations at traffic stops.

We should be cautious that these are Preliminary findings from Leoka. They may be conflating accidental deaths (particularly automotive) with deaths caused by suspects, as those settled out to about the same number as felonies, in the 2020 report. I'm not finding fault with them: this is just what any government agency does.

And the number #1 killer of Police Officers for the second year in a row is.........COVID!

Those deaths are okay. Freedom, you know?

Injuring/killing a cop in an ambush-type attack should be made a Federal hate crime.

Weird that I'm agreeing with anyone, but yeah. On duty, wearing a uniform, police should be a protected class. In plainclothes (eg agents) only if they have already identified themselves.

One of the rules I live by is very simple:

If you don't break the law, chances are you're not going to be shot by a cop OR a criminal.

Unfalsifiable. If you turn out to be wrong, you probably won't be alive to learn better!

Weird that I'm agreeing with anyone, but yeah. On duty, wearing a uniform, police should be a protected class. In plainclothes (eg agents) only if they have already identified themselves.

I dunno. Hate crimes have more to do with the intent of the criminal, not the way the victim looks. I would wager that the vast majority of police killings have little or nothing to do with the perpetrators feelings about cops except that, because of the circumstances, they want to get away from them.

The former guy has expressed support for the gratuitous use of violence by police. He quoted an infamous racist police chief about shooting looters.
You'd have to provide a link for me to know what you're referencing. That aside, it still doesn't rebut my statement that this is a state and local matter that has nothing to do with the President. This means blaming the President for the increase in murders is dumb.
Yes, yes all looters deserve to be shot to serve as an example to everyone else,
That's a strawman there.
but there is such a rich history of cops killing blacks and blacks responding with riots and looting that this isn't a very effective way to address the problem and, indeed, liable to make it quite a bit worse. But racists love it and so do many cops. A coincidence, I'm sure.
History =/= today. Today, very few Black people are killed by police and then an even smaller number of those are in situations where the actions were questionable and an even smaller number where it was obviously wrong. Hell, I remember seeing a protest march over a guy being killed that had literally killed multiple police officers. That aside, a lot of the violent rioters are white middle class suburban kids.

You speak to a greater problem here. Many of the people you refer to here have outstanding warrants for fees owed that they cannot afford to pay. These fees are assessed for minor crimes and violations and were created, as the DOJ pointed out when studying Ferguson, to fund community services while cutting taxes for the upper class. A vast number of poor and working class people have these outstanding warrants.Those that owe are afraid to get stopped because if they are arrested for the outstanding warrant, they risk losing their jobs..

So,, in effect, these cops become bill collectors, and it is causing a large number of these altercations at traffic stops.
I dont care if people with warrants for not paying a marijuana possession ticket aren't getting picked up. They are usually not dangerous criminals who are armed. BTW, besides just marijuana possession, what are some of these other minor crimes you are referring to?

You'd have to provide a link for me to know what you're referencing. That aside, it still doesn't rebut my statement that this is a state and local matter that has nothing to do with the President. This means blaming the President for the increase in murders is dumb.

That's a strawman there.

History =/= today. Today, very few Black people are killed by police and then an even smaller number of those are in situations where the actions were questionable and an even smaller number where it was obviously wrong. Hell, I remember seeing a protest march over a guy being killed that had literally killed multiple police officers. That aside, a lot of the violent rioters are white middle class suburban kids.

Cops have been targeting black people since Reconstruction, if not before. The 1968 Kerner Commission addressed it. But we white folks continue to ignore it. Black folks can't afford to.

I dont care if people with warrants for not paying a marijuana possession ticket aren't getting picked up. They are usually not dangerous criminals who are armed. BTW, besides just marijuana possession, what are some of these other minor crimes you are referring to?

Unpaid fines, missed court appearances, parking violations...

Cops have been targeting black people since Reconstruction, if not before. The 1968 Kerner Commission addressed it. But we white folks continue to ignore it. Black folks can't afford to.
Empty rhetoric not backed up by reality or data in modern times.

The media isn't telling how many of these cop killings are by elderly Amish women.
it is right behind cops killed by Orthodox Jewish Chess Masters

It's still a great way to minimize risk, like wearing seatbelts and not smoking.

Human behaviour isn't that simple tho.

Cops, yes I think they will treat you better if you have a clean record, and you're able to answer their questions without hesitation.
Criminals though, do generally avoid letting law-abiders know. Sometimes you find out anyway, and it's a good idea to make plain that you're not a "snitch" or they may harm you pre-emptively.

There's a distinction between "law abiding but mind my own business" and "law abiding and always goes to police". The latter is the better citizen, but they're also in more danger. Possibly in more danger than actual police!

Finally let me say, there would be very little crime at all if everyone reported their friends, acquaintances and family to police, every time they detected a crime. And gave evidence in court of course. But *I* don't, very few people do, and in my case it's mainly because I consider standard sentences for things like car theft or drug dealing, to be grossly excessive. Though I must admit, also not wanting my own skin in the game.

Too sincere? Or just too long? I do report any suspicions I may have of serious crimes like large financial fraud, grievous bodily harm, or murder. Someone's got to do it.

My mom used to leave out some small change for her burglar, "so he wouldn't get angry and wreck stuff". I didn't agree with that, but I wasn't living in her house so I didn't make a fuss. One day, the old man was home (sick I think) when the burglar tried to climb through the bathroom window (his usual place). The old man grabbed an umbrella or something (anything would do against someone practically jammed in a narrow space) and they never got burgled again.

One final note there. The olds didn't want to ask their landlord for bars on the bathroom window, because they knew the back door was flimsy too. Too many upgrades for security would surely have meant an increase in their rent. They were burgled maybe 6 times (same guy afaik) but never lost much. The kid was only interested in cash.

Personally I've been burgled less times than that. My attitude is that without insurance you don't bother telling the police. Their attitude is always "no bars, no alarm, we're not making any effort if you don't" so **** 'em.

Back
Top Bottom