• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Afghanistan internal opposition to Loya Jirga mounting

anatta

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Seventeen men disappeared after being detained in U.S. raids in Wardak province between October 2012 and February 2013. Bodies of 10 of the men were found by residents in shallow graves within several hundred meters of the U.S. soldiers' base.

Mystery surrounding their deaths has added tension to U.S.-Afghan ties already strained over delays to a proposed security pact designed to define the future of U.S. troops after most foreign forces leave the country by the end of next year
'Lack of U.S. cooperation' halts Afghan probe into civilian killings | Reuters
fine.
all this means is that Afgani loya jirga will in all probability not apporve 'immunity' (under Afgani law) any State of Forces Agr. (SOFA),
PressTV - Afghanistan internal opposition to Loya Jirga mounting
for the US to remain as a security force during the transition ( my opinion here).

Which means we can just get the hell out yesterday.

fine.
all this means is that Afgani loya jirga will in all probability not apporve 'immunity' (under Afgani law) any State of Forces Agr. (SOFA),
PressTV - Afghanistan internal opposition to Loya Jirga mounting
for the US to remain as a security force during the transition ( my opinion here).

Which means we can just get the hell out yesterday.

Heya Annata. :2wave: Well after Karzai met with them. They sent Karzai back with some changes. Also that issue with Karzai saying they won't sign until after the election in 2014 is a deal breaker.

Team Obama sent Susan Rice over and she told Karzai.....that if he didn't sign that deal. The US was out. Everything.....troops, training, and of course the money. Question is what will Karzai do now. Since the Taliban sent word to those in the Jirga that if they sign the deal. Then they will be dealt with.

Heya Annata. :2wave: Well after Karzai met with them. They sent Karzai back with some changes. Also that issue with Karzai saying they won't sign until after the election in 2014 is a deal breaker.

Team Obama sent Susan Rice over and she told Karzai.....that if he didn't sign that deal. The US was out. Everything.....troops, training, and of course the money. Question is what will Karzai do now. Since the Taliban sent word to those in the Jirga that if they sign the deal. Then they will be dealt with.
last i saw, the jirga was urging to sign this year. $billions at stake for the Afgan National Forces, as well as US troops residuals.

Karzai is bizzare. i'd rather we left YEARS AGO, since I have no confidence this isn't just going to revert to Taliban rule,
but Karzai's behavior is nonsensicle

last i saw, the jirga was urging to sign this year. $billions at stake for the Afgan National Forces, as well as US troops residuals.

Karzai is bizzare. i'd rather we left YEARS AGO, since I have no confidence this isn't just going to revert to Taliban rule,
but Karzai's behavior is nonsensicle

Yeah.....they approved of the deal. I don't know if they will want to wait until any election. They know they need the money. Norway pulled all support over the treatment of women and human rights.

Like you I say we pull all out.....to hell with training them. Let other Nato Forces train them. Moreover don't give them our tech either. Nada.....nothing.....zilch.

Yeah.....they approved of the deal. I don't know if they will want to wait until any election. They know they need the money. Norway pulled all support over the treatment of women and human rights.

Like you I say we pull all out.....to hell with training them. Let other Nato Forces train them. Moreover don't give them our tech either. Nada.....nothing.....zilch.

The way I understand it or the way it has been reported is if we leave, all of NATO leaves too. Karzi has been having quite a few talks with the Taliban, his term as president ends early next year. Perhaps and this is a wild, wild guess, perhaps he wants the U.S. forces gone so he can switch to the Taliban side of things.

enough already, they are talking about stoning adulterers again; their mindset is feudal.

Remember when we had to destroy $billions of weaponry, so it wouldn't fall into Taliban hands or unable to defend it?

Great news: US scrapping $7 billion of military equipment in Afghanistan « Hot Air

Obama's continuation of the "nationbuilding"(counter-insurgency) policy, was FUBAR; it's time to just pull the plug

The way I understand it or the way it has been reported is if we leave, all of NATO leaves too. Karzi has been having quite a few talks with the Taliban, his term as president ends early next year. Perhaps and this is a wild, wild guess, perhaps he wants the U.S. forces gone so he can switch to the Taliban side of things.

Mornin Pero.....Karzai will do anything to save his own skin. The Taliban already killed his brother, who was running the Opium trade in that part of the Country. They have killed or tried to kill any Govenors tied to Karzai.

I didn't hear about all of NATO leaving. The French are desperate for money and so to are other European countries.

Rice was sent Specifically with that message from Obama to Karzai. So now he knows the word has been sent.

Myself.....I hope Karzai really screws up and we do pull everything. Get our people out of place they shouldn't be.

Mornin Pero.....Karzai will do anything to save his own skin. The Taliban already killed his brother, who was running the Opium trade in that part of the Country. They have killed or tried to kill any Govenors tied to Karzai.

I didn't hear about all of NATO leaving. The French are desperate for money and so to are other European countries.

Rice was sent Specifically with that message from Obama to Karzai. So now he knows the word has been sent.

Myself.....I hope Karzai really screws up and we do pull everything. Get our people out of place they shouldn't be.

I agree, it is time to go.

I agree, it is time to go.

Have you seen anything from the French or the Brits about pulling up lock stock and barrel? Course China is still there. Not much being said about that.

enough already, they are talking about stoning adulterers again; their mindset is feudal.

Remember when we had to destroy $billions of weaponry, so it wouldn't fall into Taliban hands or unable to defend it?

Great news: US scrapping $7 billion of military equipment in Afghanistan « Hot Air

Obama's continuation of the "nationbuilding"(counter-insurgency) policy, was FUBAR; it's time to just pull the plug

Heya Annata, did you check out the other thread we had up on that?

Have you seen anything from the French or the Brits about pulling up lock stock and barrel? Course China is still there. Not much being said about that.

On CNN they were reporting yesterday the 2014 date applies to all NATO forces. That NATO and the U.S. must leave if a new agreement isn't signed. Nothing at all on China.

On CNN they were reporting yesterday the 2014 date applies to all NATO forces. That NATO and the U.S. must leave if a new agreement isn't signed. Nothing at all on China.

You would have to go back to earlier this year with news about China and Afghanistan. Here is what I had on it. Its not surprising what lil details get lost in transition.....huh?

China could prove ultimate winner in Afghanistan.....

75369baae8fd8702270f6a70670009c2.jpg

China, long a bystander to the conflict in Afghanistan, is stepping up its involvement as U.S.-led forces prepare to withdraw, attracted by the country's vast mineral resources but concerned that any post-2014 chaos could embolden Islamist insurgents in its own territory.

Cheered on by the U.S. and other Western governments, which see Asia's giant as a potentially stabilizing force, China could prove the ultimate winner in Afghanistan — having shed no blood and not much aid.

Security — or the lack of it — remains the key challenge: Chinese enterprises have already bagged three multibillion dollar investment projects, but they won't be able to go forward unless conditions get safer. While the Chinese do not appear ready to rush into any vacuum left by the withdrawal of foreign troops, a definite shift toward a more hands-on approach to Afghanistan is under way.....snip~

China could prove ultimate winner in Afghanistan

China reaps the rewards with 'soft power", the US and NATO bleed with their "hard power".

You would have to go back to earlier this year with news about China and Afghanistan. Here is what I had on it. Its not surprising what lil details get lost in transition.....huh?

China could prove ultimate winner in Afghanistan.....

75369baae8fd8702270f6a70670009c2.jpg

China, long a bystander to the conflict in Afghanistan, is stepping up its involvement as U.S.-led forces prepare to withdraw, attracted by the country's vast mineral resources but concerned that any post-2014 chaos could embolden Islamist insurgents in its own territory.

Cheered on by the U.S. and other Western governments, which see Asia's giant as a potentially stabilizing force, China could prove the ultimate winner in Afghanistan — having shed no blood and not much aid.

Security — or the lack of it — remains the key challenge: Chinese enterprises have already bagged three multibillion dollar investment projects, but they won't be able to go forward unless conditions get safer. While the Chinese do not appear ready to rush into any vacuum left by the withdrawal of foreign troops, a definite shift toward a more hands-on approach to Afghanistan is under way.....snip~

China could prove ultimate winner in Afghanistan

I didn't hear anything about that. But yes, China seems like the winner here. If they go in and treat and trade with each individual tribe and come to agreements locally with them, they probably would have too much security issues than just trying to get Kabul to agree. Just an opinion.

I didn't hear anything about that. But yes, China seems like the winner here. If they go in and treat and trade with each individual tribe and come to agreements locally with them, they probably would have too much security issues than just trying to get Kabul to agree. Just an opinion.

Well, I believe they have had mining operations going on the whole time we have been there and fighting. The Taliban haven't gone after them, that I know of.

Well, I believe they have had mining operations going on the whole time we have been there and fighting. The Taliban haven't gone after them, that I know of.

Yeah, I've heard about that quite a while ago. A couple of mines and I believe they started mining while the Taliban was still in power. My memory is fuzzy on this and when I heard it, I really didn't pay much attention to it.

Yeah, I've heard about that quite a while ago. A couple of mines and I believe they started mining while the Taliban was still in power. My memory is fuzzy on this and when I heard it, I really didn't pay much attention to it.

That's alright Pero.....I will go over something. Might not come to me then.....but it eventually does. Course I think I am well versed in FP. Despite those that don't like some of what I say. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom