• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Accidental Firearm-related Fatalities Drop to All-time Low

SixStringHero said:
I thought every person who purchases a fire-arm has to be by law registered. I didn't have any complaints when I purchased my gun way back when. I'm a storng proponet of the 2nd Ammendment, but I believe all gun owners like myself should be registered.

Registration is not required federally. The forms filled out at the dealer are kept by the dealer, and no information is given to the government, except for specific information requested by them to further certain investigations. Currently, a federal database of gun owners is illegal.

Registration is a horrible idea for gun control, because since 86% of crimes commited with guns used stolen weapons or illegally purchased weapons. Unless the criminals gun is actually found (at the crime scene or buried somewhere), Registration of the rest of the 14% isn't going to do much good for solving crimes.

While I'm not against the solving of crimes, so far the states of Britain and Australia(recently), the Soviet Union, and Germany all used a system of registration to disarm its populace. In the cases of the Soviet Union and those who weren't of Aryan descent in Germany during the World War, the disarment of the people may have led to mistreatment that possibly could have been avoided. There was even a quote from Stalin mentioning how registration was the perfect way to disarm the burquonese (sp?)

If you look at the recent gun grabbings in Britain (and some of the kind in Australia, which hasn't removed all of their guns yet), its' absolutely horrible what they destroy. They chopped up one of a kind rifles, World War II weapons, thousand dollar mint condition Lugers and more. To any historian this would be absurd. Can you imagine if they went back and destroyed antique collectible one of a kind paintings from the 1800's to the early 1900's? The loss of such items should be mourned even for the Anti-gun types, as with it is lost history. The Guns of the time can tell a lot about the society and the societies values. (the materials they're made of, when they were produced, why they were produced. )

Almost all forms of gun control prior to the late 20th century were implemented as ways of controlling its peoples not reducing crime (look at the Samurai of Japan if you want a really old historical regulation of weapons), and never have they actually led to less suicides, or less crime as a reason or result of it. No coorelation exists between gun contol and crime.

The registration of firearms in Britain caused skeptical people to worry about a potential government enforced lack of ownership. Others told them it would never happen. They were wrong.

Back
Top Bottom