• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Academic Freedom vs. Community Standards

H

HTColeman

I am getting tired of the other topics so I'll be putting up so old debate topics that I liked from past years

Resolved: When in conflict, academic freedom in U. S. high schools ought to be valued above community standards

Academic Freedom - the ability to freely express oneself in a public academic setting, freedom to educate as you wish.

Community Standards - guidelines to conduct educating methods and topics.

Things to consider:

Public high schools have a captive audience, meaning that students cannot leave class when they feel the teacher or someone has overstepped their bounds.

Community Standards will obviously reflect the values of the respective community, possibly a racist community

Only applicable WHEN IN CONFLICT, ex. the teacher wants to teach something but the community standards conflict, which prevails Academic Freedom or Community Standards?

galenrox said:
yeah, it's real complex. I think that once you reach university status that complete acedemic freedom should apply, but under there (under where? HAHA!) I think that it's definately pretty gray.

So is that your technical assessment of the resolution, lol? Why shouldn't High School's have academic freedom? It would allow more ideas into the school, make school more interesting, and you might learn more. Think about it, most colleges have academic freedom, don't you learn more at college?

Also, the more ideas that a student is available to, the greater opportunity they have to "find themselves", to figure out what they truly believe in before they go to college. And what if they don't go to college? Where do they get that experience from, where do they learn how to listen to various ideas and choose which ones they support, a skill necessary for competent voting.

Back
Top Bottom