• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Abortion is murder

SSlightning said:
I dont really understand what your asking here?
You were saying that: "A person is anything that is or can become a homo sapien based upon scientific fact."

I am merely asking to then provide the scientific references that proves this as you claim it to exist.

steen said:
Sure. Just like it is known that if you smoke, there is a risk for lung cancer. yet, we readily offer surgery for lung cancer, so that rally is not a good argument against treatment of that unwanted pregnancy

In one case your treating something that is deadly to your body, in the other your treating something unwanted, but not unhealthy.

easyt65 said:
Hey Steen, SHUT THE HE!! UP!

I am so sick of poster's like you who try to discredit other people's opinion, facts, and posts by simply saying 'you're lying', 'you're makin' stuff up', etc! I see you keep flappin' your gums but the only thing coming up on the screen is your OPINIONS! I find it amusing how such as you demand others do their homework for them by providing you with links for every comment, which is not required/necessary, yet spout nothing but opinon....'You are wrong CAUSE I SAY SO!' :roll: So, shut up already!
Ouch, must have hit a nerve somewhere!:2razz:

steen said:
You were saying that: "A person is anything that is or can become a homo sapien based upon scientific fact."

I am merely asking to then provide the scientific references that proves this as you claim it to exist.

what part of it though?

Just attempt to discredit the statement and then I'll provide that facts.

steen said:
Ouch, must have hit a nerve somewhere!:2razz:

its kind of hard not to when they where their hearts on their sleeves. :mrgreen:

SSlightning said:
So everything is what it is at that current moment and should not be precieved as anything more?
Well, the facts are what the facts are. Emotional histrionics merely are deceptive misrepresentations.

FutureIncoming said:
I'm waiting for a pro-lifer to successfully take up this challenge: "Define "person" to be Universally accurate, regardless of physical nature, to distinguish people from mere animals, anywhere.
For example, if God exists, is non-biological, and is a person, then God is a person because {--put definitive criteria here--}. After that, please explain how unborn humans are so different from mere animals that they should be classed as persons, too.
SSlightning said:
A person is anything that is or can become a homo sapien based upon scientific fact. Unborn children are going to become homo sapiens, while animals will not.
My, what prejudice! The Universe is a mighty big place. Just the parts that we can see (a small fraction of its entirety) has something like 100billion galaxies, each with at least 10billion stars like the Sun. Have you some reason to think that humans, on this puny Earth, are the only entities, in all of the mind-bogglingly vast Universe, with a high level of intelligence? If you think it possible, even if only to a small degree, that we are not alone in the Universe, then why shouldn't those other intelligences be granted "person" status? Here is some Historical Fact that you need to know! In the days of tribal humanity, it was common for an individual tribe to call itself "The People", and equally common for that tribe to call all others "enemies and not-People". We know this because of anthropologists conducting interviews of surviving tribes in remote places. Well, any psychologist will tell you that hatred is always caused by fear. (From this we can conclude that Hitler was a 'fraidy cat.) And so, as xenophobia (the fear of something different) led to hatred, the result was an extremely bloody History for humanity, that caused conflict after conflict for thousands and thousands of years. Not something for us humans to be proud of, I think. Today there is some hope, in that millions of us manage to live alongside each other, mostly in peace and mostly in non-fear, in spite of many differences (see New York City for an example of that). I count that as progress, with more to be done (there are still 'fraidy-cat hate-mongers aplenty in the world). Is there some reason for that progress to stop, when the whole human species finally becomes a "tribe" that calls itself "The People"? Don't you realize that out there in the wide Universe, any "they" that exists will have a History, also? Do you think for a moment that their Historical definition of "People" is going to automatically include humans? It is to laugh! So, in the distant Incoming Future when humans spread across the Universe, and they do that, also, should we have a planet-destroying war with them, just because you think whatever-it-is that distinguishes humans from ordinary animals is somehow superior to whatever-it-is that distinguishes them from ordinary animals? Or would you rather pay attention to the Boy Scout Motto, and "Be Prepared"? That is, make the definition of "person" wide enough now, to accommodate non-human intelligences -- and hope they are wise enough to do the same.

In another vein altogether, since you might decide to claim that it is impossible for other intelligences to exist in the Universe (despite lack of any evidence to support such a claim), there is the little matter of Artificial Intelligence.
+++
Consider the research being devoted to Artificial Intelligence (or "AI"). If it succeeds, then a human-level mind will come into existence as a result of technological hardware/software progress. It will come about as a direct result of studies of the human brain and how it operates. Can you say that no matter what we learn in all the millenia of the Incoming Future, that we will never, ever, be able to learn enough about how the human brain is put together, and how it operates, to be able to construct an artificial equivalent? If you cannot honestly and with evidence say that thing, then when it happens, there will be a distinct equivalence between pieces of such a technology, compared to the whole Artificial Intelligence, and the body of a fetus, compared to an independent human being. That is, the manufacturing of pieces of an AI is essential for the AI to exist, just as the reproduction of cells in a fetus is essential for an independent human being to exist. Now remember that future manufacturing will be more and more automated. This leads us to an interesting absurdity, in that if opponents of abortion require every fetus to be allowed to automatically grow a mind, then logically they should also require Artifical Intelligences to be automatically manufactured just as soon as technically possible! The two notions really are that equivalent, and so to declare the mandatory production of AIs to be absurd is also to declare the anti-abortion stand to likewise be absurd. More specifically: Minds cannot be required to come into existence just because some of their fundamental hardware happens to exist. So, no matter what the age of a fetus, as long as its brainpower is animal-level, there is no requirement that it must continue to grow. (That would be like stating, "A Potential Must Be Fulfilled!" when anyone who makes that statement has the potential to fall down a staircase and break his or her neck.)
+++
Your definition of "person" would exclude Artificial Intelligences who could very well be far smarter and more capable than you. Why would you do that? Xenophobia? Tsk, tsk!

Last edited:
SSlightning said:
In one case your treating something that is deadly to your body, in the other your treating something unwanted, but not unhealthy.
pregnancy can be VERY unhealthy, and even in the US 300-500 women die from it

steen said:
pregnancy can be VERY unhealthy, and even in the US 300-500 women die from it

but isn't it a risk to your health by having the abortion also?

FutureIncoming said:
My, what prejudice! The Universe is a mighty big place. Just the parts that we can see (a small fraction of its entirety) has something like 100billion galaxies, each with at least 10billion stars like the Sun. Have you some reason to think that humans, on this puny Earth, are the only entities, in all of the mind-bogglingly vast Universe, with a high level of intelligence? If you think it possible, even if only to a small degree, that we are not alone in the Universe, then why shouldn't those other intelligences be granted "person" status? Here is some Historical Fact that you need to know! In the days of tribal humanity, it was common for an individual tribe to call itself "The People", and equally common for that tribe to call all others "enemies and not-People". We know this because of anthropologists conducting interviews of surviving tribes in remote places. Well, any psychologist will tell you that hatred is always caused by fear. (From this we can conclude that Hitler was a 'fraidy cat.) And so, as xenophobia (the fear of something different) led to hatred, the result was an extremely bloody History for humanity, that caused conflict after conflict for thousands and thousands of years. Not something for us humans to be proud of, I think. Today there is some hope, in that millions of us manage to live alongside each other, mostly in peace and mostly in non-fear, in spite of many differences (see New York City for an example of that). I count that as progress, with more to be done (there are still 'fraidy-cat hate-mongers aplenty in the world). Is there some reason for that progress to stop, when the whole human species finally becomes a "tribe" that calls itself "The People"? Don't you realize that out there in the wide Universe, any "they" that exists will have a History, also? Do you think for a moment that their Historical definition of "People" is going to automatically include humans? It is to laugh! So, in the distant Incoming Future when humans spread across the Universe, and they do that, also, should we have a planet-destroying war with them, just because you think whatever-it-is that distinguishes humans from ordinary animals is somehow superior to whatever-it-is that distinguishes them from ordinary animals? Or would you rather pay attention to the Boy Scout Motto, and "Be Prepared"? That is, make the definition of "person" wide enough now, to accommodate non-human intelligences -- and hope they are wise enough to do the same.

In another vein altogether, since you might decide to claim that it is impossible for other intelligences to exist in the Universe (despite lack of any evidence to support such a claim), there is the little matter of Artificial Intelligence.
+++
Consider the research being devoted to Artificial Intelligence (or "AI"). If it succeeds, then a human-level mind will come into existence as a result of technological hardware/software progress. It will come about as a direct result of studies of the human brain and how it operates. Can you say that no matter what we learn in all the millenia of the Incoming Future, that we will never, ever, be able to learn enough about how the human brain is put together, and how it operates, to be able to construct an artificial equivalent? If you cannot honestly and with evidence say that thing, then when it happens, there will be a distinct equivalence between pieces of such a technology, compared to the whole Artificial Intelligence, and the body of a fetus, compared to an independent human being. That is, the manufacturing of pieces of an AI is essential for the AI to exist, just as the reproduction of cells in a fetus is essential for an independent human being to exist. Now remember that future manufacturing will be more and more automated. This leads us to an interesting absurdity, in that if opponents of abortion require every fetus to be allowed to automatically grow a mind, then logically they should also require Artifical Intelligences to be automatically manufactured just as soon as technically possible! The two notions really are that equivalent, and so to declare the mandatory production of AIs to be absurd is also to declare the anti-abortion stand to likewise be absurd. More specifically: Minds cannot be required to come into existence just because some of their fundamental hardware happens to exist. So, no matter what the age of a fetus, as long as its brainpower is animal-level, there is no requirement that it must continue to grow. (That would be like stating, "A Potential Must Be Fulfilled!" when anyone who makes that statement has the potential to fall down a staircase and break his or her neck.)
+++
Your definition of "person" would exclude Artificial Intelligences who could very well be far smarter and more capable than you. Why would you do that? Xenophobia? Tsk, tsk!

I find what you have to say extremely intriguing, yet it as no bearing on this arguement. Whether or not other intelligence exsist has no bearing on abortion, and I would never think a machine is as important as a human. Machines are replaceable, humans are not. The task at hand is not to ensure we dont contradict ourselves in the future, but to make sure we are making the right decisions today.

Intelligence is not the only factor involved here, the right to life is.

jallman said:
I never said that at all. If the woman decides to carry her fetus to term and have a child, then there should be some mutual agreement from both parties. If the man wants nothing to do with a child and makes this clear from the onset, then it should be the responsibility of the woman to make arrangements for the childs care. If they both want the child, the responsibility is shared. If he wants the child and she doesnt, then he should make arrangements to compensate her for her gestation period. How is this even the issue in this debate anyway?

Your premise in prior post was :"Consent to sex is not consent to parenthood."

If your premise is true then a man consenting to sex should not be forced by the court to pay child support. That would be govt forcing the responsibility of parenthood on the unwilling man. Don't you think?

SSlightning said:
what part of it though?

Just attempt to discredit the statement and then I'll provide that facts.
What do you mean "discredit"? I am merely asking for the evidence you say is there. You said that "A person is anything that is or can become a homo sapien based upon scientific fact."

All I am doing is asking for the scientific evidence you say are showing how anything that can become a Homo sapiens is a person. References or links would be sufficient.

steen said:
What do you mean "discredit"? I am merely asking for the evidence you say is there. You said that "A person is anything that is or can become a homo sapien based upon scientific fact."

All I am doing is asking for the scientific evidence you say are showing how anything that can become a Homo sapiens is a person. References or links would be sufficient.

ok fine, I dont have any, prove to me though with links that this statement is false.

SSlightning said:
but isn't it a risk to your health by having the abortion also?
Much less. You are about 15 times as likely to die from pregnancy or delivery complications than from an abortion.

So if you are talking strictly safety, you should argue for abortion to be the norm.

steen said:
Your claim is a flat-out lie. Roe showed specifically and explicitly that the unborn is not a person and referenced past court cases proving this as well.
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=410&invol=113
IX

Your contention is incorrect.

You make reference to Section IX of Roe v. Wade. The second paragraph of Section IX B contains this specific language:

"We need not resolve the difficult question of when life begins. When those trained in the respective disciplines of medicine, philosophy, and theology are unable to arrive at any consensus, the judiciary, at this point in the development of man's knowledge, is not in a position to speculate as to the answer."

What Justice Blackmun said was that he did not know when life begins and, by use of the words, "at this point in the development of man's knowledge", left it to some future court to provide the answer.

Look for the Roberts' Court to do just that when the recently signed South Dakota law comes before it.

blastula said:
Your premise in prior post was :"Consent to sex is not consent to parenthood."

If your premise is true then a man consenting to sex should not be forced by the court to pay child support. That would be govt forcing the responsibility of parenthood on the unwilling man. Don't you think?

Problem A: He wants the fetus carried to term and she doesnt.
Solution: Compensate the woman for carrying the child and then he makes arrangements to care for the child.

Problem B: She wants the fetus carried to term and he does not.
Solution: She makes proper arrangements to care for the child.

Problem C: They both want the fetus carried to turn.
Solution: They share responsibility for caring for the child or making arrangements to care for the child.

SSlightning said:
Intelligence is not the only factor involved here, the right to life is.
So a person in kidney failure is a person with a right to life. Is it a right to life that allows the safe taking of a kidney from another person, even against that person's wish? Is there a right to life that forces a person to give their bodily resources against their will, just so save that life? Can you be forced to give a kidney or give blood merely because that will save a life?

steen said:
Much less. You are about 15 times as likely to die from pregnancy or delivery complications than from an abortion.

So if you are talking strictly safety, you should argue for abortion to be the norm.

can you show me some support to where you are 15 times more likely to die from pregnancy then a abortion? I dont argue the fact that pregnancy is probraly more dangerous but by that much, I doubt it. If you say that 300 people a year die from pregnancy that would mean that only 20 a year die from abortion.

steen said:
So a person in kidney failure is a person with a right to life. Is it a right to life that allows the safe taking of a kidney from another person, even against that person's wish? Is there a right to life that forces a person to give their bodily resources against their will, just so save that life? Can you be forced to give a kidney or give blood merely because that will save a life?

the diverense here is the right to save a life and the right to give a life.

SSlightning said:
ok fine, I dont have any, prove to me though with links that this statement is false.
No, I merely conclude that when you said that there were scientific facts, that really wasn't true.

My beef is with people who make false claims about science. That's much more than half of what I do here (and 95% of what I do in treads with lying creationists). As long as the claim about science has been corrected, then I am asatisfied.

SSlightning said:
the diverense here is the right to save a life and the right to give a life.

there is no difference. by the pro-life logic, the nonsentient nonperson in the womb has just as much right to life as the kidney patient in jeopardy of dying...but no one is wailing for the lawful enforcement of kidney donorship.

Fantasea said:
What Justice Blackmun said was that he did not know when life begins and, by use of the words, "at this point in the development of man's knowledge", left it to some future court to provide the answer..
Completely irrelevant. The question was whether the unborn, the fetus is a person or not. That is the ONLY thing in question in that discussion. So irrelevant blabbering about the beginning of life doesn't matter to the issue of personhood. As Blackmum said, the issue of when life begins has no bearing on the issue of what the law says about personhood.

doughgirl said:
So welcome… I have enjoyed reading your posts, but I hope your not one of those who claim to be pro-life (like many who I won’t mention in the pro-abortion camp)….and think it is alright to kill as long as its before a certain magical time they make up when life automatically starts………..and who say abortion is wrong…..but go ahead and do it, after all its your right.
Rest easy, I'm as pro-life as it is possible to be. When you look at the number of posts that appears adjacent to my name, be aware that the overwhelming majority of them have been devoted to the crusade to preserve the lives of the unborn.

I am happy to know that you have been pounding away while I was on hiatus.

Fantasea said:
doughgirl said:
Rest easy, I'm as pro-life as it is possible to be. When you look at the number of posts that appears adjacent to my name, be aware that the overwhelming majority of them have been devoted to the crusade to preserve the lives of the unborn.

I am happy to know that you have been pounding away while I was on hiatus.

Have you actually read anything she has written? And you are going to commend her for losing so much ground on simple basis that she cant stop lying?

SSlightning said:
can you show me some support to where you are 15 times more likely to die from pregnancy then a abortion? I dont argue the fact that pregnancy is probraly more dangerous but by that much, I doubt it. If you say that 300 people a year die from pregnancy that would mean that only 20 a year die from abortion.
Actually, it is between 3 and 12. I have in the past gone into detail on that here:
http://www.debatepolitics.com/showpost.php?p=165942&postcount=59

Back
Top Bottom