• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Abbas tells Haniya to stop 'absurd' attacks on Israel

Shayah

יותר מקו
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Published: 25/05/2007 12:00 AM (UAE)
Abbas tells Haniya to stop 'absurd' attacks on Israel
AP

Gaza City: Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas yesterday said he is working with the Palestinian factions to stop their "absurd" rocket attacks on Israel, working for a truce in the Gaza Strip that could be extended to the West Bank.
Gulfnews: Abbas tells Haniya to stop 'absurd' attacks on Israel

Israel totally withdrew from Gaza in August of 2005. The very day after Israel withdrew, Qassam rockets were fired into Israel from Gaza. This rocket barrage has never ceased. In an attempt to preserve the ceasefire agreed to by Mahmoud Abbas and Israel in November of 2006, Israel had refrained from retaliatory measures.

However, since the beginning of May 2007, over 220 Qassam rockets have been fired into Israel from Gaza. The Israeli town of Sderot is struck virtually every day. Clearly, this volatile situation could not continue and is anathema to peace initiatives started in earnest last year by Abbas and Olmert. Due to the ever-increasing number of Qassam rocket launches and their ever-increasing range, Israel has finally been forced to respond.

Abbas has now termed the Qassam rocket attacks on Israel as 'absurd' and extremely counterproductive. Most commentators have simply assumed that this very unusual statement by Abbas was merely referencing the fact that Qassam rockets are not a very useful military weapon. In and of itself, this is a truism. Much like scuds, Qassam's are merely pointed and fired and where they land is an unknown quantity. Qassam's are strictly fired in the direction of areas populated by Israeli civilians. What then is Abbas really saying above?

In effect, Abbas is in agreement with Israel that firing Qassam's into civilian areas is indeed a terrorist act that must cease. Although he is naturally not happy with Israel's response, he clearly realizes and admits that Israel has been forced to respond to Qassam terrorism. Albeit indirectly, Abbas is afixing the blame for the current situation in Gaza exactly where it rightfully belongs. On Hamas. He is saying that the continual 'absurd' actions of Hamas has finally forced Israeli intervention.

I can't recall a previous Palestinian leader of such magnitude being so publicly candid and brutally honest. Rather than issuing sound bites of political spin for western consumption, he has instead embraced the realism of an undeniable cause and effect. My kudos to Mahmoud Abbas for his honesty in this regard and the courage to speak it. Comments are welcome.

Should we start the clock now?

To me it sounds like Abbas is a traitor to the jihadist cause and they will surely be out to get him. It's a matter of time, I fear.

Too bad.

He's right, it is absurd. What's more absurd are the conditions which are placed on Israel in the face of these constant acts of war.

Abbas talks out of both sides of his mouth, much like Musharraf is forced to. In one speech he says he's committed to peace and never backed violence, in another he urges 'Raise rifles against Israel'.

I'll never know the stress of being in such a position, so I can't judge the man, but it's hard to take much of what he says with anything other than a grain of salt.

I'll never know the stress of being in such a position, so I can't judge the man, but it's hard to take much of what he says with anything other than a grain of salt.
I do understand. A faction of Fatah (headed by Abbas) claimed participation in a suicide-bombing last year in Eilat. This occured after the November truce accord with Olmert. I can't imagine that Abbas was unaware that this terrorist operation was facilitated by a wing of his own organization.

I suppose I am hoping that as time marches forward, simple pragmatism will influence Abbas to a greater degree than moribund dogmatism.

Should we start the clock now?

To me it sounds like Abbas is a traitor to the jihadist cause and they will surely be out to get him. It's a matter of time, I fear.

Too bad.

bhkad said:
See, this is what it's like when people express opinions about things they know nothing about. They look stupid and sound stupid and influence other people's opinions even though they haven't a clue of what they are talking about.

Please just don't talk about this until or unless you do your homework, ok???

:roll:

Ok. You made your point.

Back
Top Bottom