• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A transgender candidate in Ohio was disqualified from the state ballot for omitting her former name

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Despite receiving enough signatures to appear on the ballot, a transgender woman has been disqualified from an Ohio House race because she omitted her previous name, raising concern that other transgender candidates nationwide may face similar barriers.

Vanessa Joy of was one of four transgender candidates running for state office in Ohio, largely in response to proposed restrictions of the rights of LGBTQ+ people. She was running as a Democrat in House District 50 — a heavily Republican district in Stark County, Ohio — against GOP candidate Matthew Kishman. Joy legally changed her name and birth certificate in 2022, which she says she provided to the Stark County Board of Elections for the March 19 primary race.

But as Joy found out Tuesday, a little-known 1990s state law says that a candidate must provide any name changes within the last five years to qualify for the ballot. Since the law is not currently listed on the candidate requirement guidelines on the Ohio Secretary of State’s website, Joy didn’t know it existed.
==================================================
Reading this story, I can't figure out who's who & which is male & female. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Despite receiving enough signatures to appear on the ballot, a transgender woman has been disqualified from an Ohio House race because she omitted her previous name, raising concern that other transgender candidates nationwide may face similar barriers.

Vanessa Joy of was one of four transgender candidates running for state office in Ohio, largely in response to proposed restrictions of the rights of LGBTQ+ people. She was running as a Democrat in House District 50 — a heavily Republican district in Stark County, Ohio — against GOP candidate Matthew Kishman. Joy legally changed her name and birth certificate in 2022, which she says she provided to the Stark County Board of Elections for the March 19 primary race.

But as Joy found out Tuesday, a little-known 1990s state law says that a candidate must provide any name changes within the last five years to qualify for the ballot. Since the law is not currently listed on the candidate requirement guidelines on the Ohio Secretary of State’s website, Joy didn’t know it existed.
Reading this story, I can't figure out who's who & which is male & female. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Anything to keep Ohioans from voting (or from running for office) in this red, red state....

Anything to keep Ohioans from voting (or from running for office) in this red, red state....
I lived in Cleveland. Do you know how that name came to be? That's where the Cuyahoga River cleves the land in two.

I lived in Cleveland. Do you know how that name came to be? That's where the Cuyahoga River cleves the land in two.
Neat! Did not know that, even though I'm a lifelong Buckeye.

Thanks.

Once again, the righties are obsessed with regulating genitalia. ****ing creeps.

Well at least she was kept off the ballot for a crime she isn't charged with huh.

Rules are rules and candidate didn’t do the due diligence.
There is no place on the candidate application for her previous name and there is no mention of this requirement in any of the filing paperwork. This is nothing less than transgender bigotry and you seem to have no problem defending it.

Well at least she was kept off the ballot for a crime she isn't charged with huh.
What crime did she commit?

Since the law is not currently listed on the candidate requirement guidelines on the Ohio Secretary of State’s website, Joy didn’t know it existed.

Well there's your problem.

But she knew her situation was unusual. The people who run for office very rarely change their legal name. She should have taken legal advice.

Once again, the righties are obsessed with regulating genitalia. ****ing creeps.

I doubt the law was written with that intent. If it had been, why would it apply only to the last five years?

Wikipedia disagrees with that.

A great many inland cities, and most coastal cities, also "cleve the land in two." Water transport used to be so important, that cities were almost always built on rivers (and grew to either side.) Inland cities have problems with flooding, but cities have a life of their own and don't like to move.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

On the one hand, if that is what the law says, and she doesn't provide it, then she doesn't qualify. Under most circumstances I would support this result, because rule of law is important.

However, because this is not something that is a common law among states and commonly know among citizens, the failure of the state to have it disclosed should be legal grounds to allow her back on the ballot, provided that she submits the required information. I would think that she could ask for an emergency ruling based on this being time sensitive.

Now the one thing that I do not agree with is the position that providing this is wrong because, "that name is dead.” Unless she is calling for the elimination of that law for all, including cis-people, then it's a hypocritical position. Why would not a cis-person who has a name change not consider their former name "dead"? Further, simply because she is an actual transgender person, it does not mean that she hasn't done things under her previous name that would disqualify her, which, if I understand correctly, is the purpose of the law. So why should she be exempt from such a things simply because she is transgender? With most things, I've held that transgender people are not asking for extra rights, but if there is to be a transgender exception to this law, then it is asking for extra rights.

On the plus side, this is only happening to her and not the other 3 transgender candidates, which means that, so far, there is not an inequality to transgenders overall, and this is not discrimination against her or any transgenders. That is not discounting efforts by Ohio GOP in other areas and on other issues. My comments are in isolation to this specific issue.

What crime did she commit?

I believe the line was supposed to be "Well at least she wasn't kept off the ballot for a crime she isn't charged with huh." as a reference to Trump supporters claiming that he is being kept off ballots for a crime he hasn't been charged with.

Sounds like Ohio should have updated their petitions with accurate directions.

If this requirement wasn’t on the petition, nor on their board of elections website, it is THEIR mistake and not the candidate.

But…it’s Ohio.

The people who run for office very rarely change their legal name.

They don't do so in order to run for office, but that doesn't mean that they don't change their name. This law would also include a name change due to marriage, unless you can show me where there is an exception for marriage written into the law. Further, it is, while still low, increasing that men are changing their surnames to either a hyphenated one joining theirs and their spouse's surnames, or to the spouse's surname. I had a friend who did that because his was a long not easily pronounceable name and hers was short and easy. So he took hers instead of her taking his.

They don't do so in order to run for office, but that doesn't mean that they don't change their name. This law would also include a name change due to marriage, unless you can show me where there is an exception for marriage written into the law. Further, it is, while still low, increasing that men are changing their surnames to either a hyphenated one joining theirs and their spouse's surnames, or to the spouse's surname. I had a friend who did that because his was a long not easily pronounceable name and hers was short and easy. So he took hers instead of her taking his.

apnews didn't say, but the NYT linked to the law:

If any person desiring to become a candidate for public office has had a change of name within five years immediately preceding the filing of his statement of candidacy, both his statement of candidacy and nominating petition must contain, immediately following the person's present name, the person's former names. Any person who has been elected under the person's changed name, without submission of the person's former name, shall be immediately suspended from the office and the office declared vacated, and shall be liable to the state for any salary the person has received while holding such office. The attorney general in the case of candidates for state offices, the prosecuting attorney of the most populous county in a district in the case of candidates for district offices, and the prosecuting attorney of the county in the case of all other candidates shall institute necessary action to enforce this section.

This section does not apply to a change of name by reason of marriage; to a candidate for a state office who has once complied with this section and who has previously been elected to a state office; to a candidate for a district office who has once complied with this section and who has previously been elected to a state or district office; to a candidate for a county office who has once complied with this section and has previously been elected to a state, district, or county office; to a candidate for a municipal office who has once complied with this section and has previously been elected to a municipal office; or to a candidate for a township office who has once complied with this section and has previously been elected to a township office; provided that such previous election was one at which his candidacy complied with this section.

Ohio Code

So basically, if you have something to hide all you need to do is get married.

apnews didn't say, but the NYT linked to the law:

If any person desiring to become a candidate for public office has had a change of name within five years immediately preceding the filing of his statement of candidacy, both his statement of candidacy and nominating petition must contain, immediately following the person's present name, the person's former names. Any person who has been elected under the person's changed name, without submission of the person's former name, shall be immediately suspended from the office and the office declared vacated, and shall be liable to the state for any salary the person has received while holding such office. The attorney general in the case of candidates for state offices, the prosecuting attorney of the most populous county in a district in the case of candidates for district offices, and the prosecuting attorney of the county in the case of all other candidates shall institute necessary action to enforce this section.

This section does not apply to a change of name by reason of marriage; to a candidate for a state office who has once complied with this section and who has previously been elected to a state office; to a candidate for a district office who has once complied with this section and who has previously been elected to a state or district office; to a candidate for a county office who has once complied with this section and has previously been elected to a state, district, or county office; to a candidate for a municipal office who has once complied with this section and has previously been elected to a municipal office; or to a candidate for a township office who has once complied with this section and has previously been elected to a township office; provided that such previous election was one at which his candidacy complied with this section.

Ohio Code

So basically, if you have something to hide all you need to do is get married.
Thank you for that. It does make me wonder. If she got married and did a full name change along with the marriage, would that have been covered by that exemption? After all, I don't see where it says a change of surname by reason of marriage.

Perhaps she could just identify as a qualified candidate?

There is no place on the candidate application for her previous name and there is no mention of this requirement in any of the filing paperwork. This is nothing less than transgender bigotry and you seem to have no problem defending it.

It’s not about the trans. This law has been on the books for 29 years.

Back
Top Bottom