• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

a "prediction" from 1928

tanj

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
not sure if this belongs here, but it seemed to fit.

the following is a short excerpt from a book written in 1928. between ww 1 and ww 2.
I just thought it was pretty interesting how closely the premise seems to match what is going on now.
I hope the rest doesn't follow.

"It seemed that another war had followed the First World War, in which nearly all the European nations had banded together to break the financial and industrial power of America. They succeeded in their purpose, though they were beaten, for the war was a terrific one, and left America, like themselves, gasping, bleeding and disorganized, with only the hollow shell of a victory.

This opportunity had been seized by the Russian Soviets, who had made a coalition with the Chinese, to sweep over all Europe and reduce it to a state of chaos. America, industrially geared to world production and the world trade, collapsed economically, and there ensued a long period of stagnation and desperate attempts at economic reconstruction. But it was impossible to stave off war with the Mongolians, who by now had subjugated the Russians, and were aiming at a world empire. "

the following is a short excerpt from a book written in 1928. between ww 1 and ww 2.
I just thought it was pretty interesting how closely the premise seems to match what is going on now.

"It seemed that another war had followed the First World War, in which nearly all the European nations had banded together to break the financial and industrial power of America. They succeeded in their purpose, though they were beaten, for the war was a terrific one, and left America, like themselves, gasping, bleeding and disorganized, with only the hollow shell of a victory.

This opportunity had been seized by the Russian Soviets, who had made a coalition with the Chinese, to sweep over all Europe and reduce it to a state of chaos. America, industrially geared to world production and the world trade, collapsed economically, and there ensued a long period of stagnation and desperate attempts at economic reconstruction. But it was impossible to stave off war with the Mongolians, who by now had subjugated the Russians, and were aiming at a world empire. "
Part of the problem is who our "allies" were at the end of WWII. Patton and McArther both wrote about Russia and warned against involvement with them. Our country was very aware of communism in the middle of the 20th century and yet we let ourselves get drawn into a "peace" with Russia and China that never really existed. Diplomacy lured us to sleep and now we have problems that will be major problems as long as there is a USA.

So they were wrong about everything then. Europe did not band together against America, the US exited WW2 as the strongest power on Earth. USSR did indeed ally with PRC for a while, but the China they worried about in 1928 was the Kuomintang China. And the USSR/ PRC alliance eventually broke up, and now the USSR doesn't even exist anymore. And Mongolia is still a minor nation dancing to the pipes of what their stronger neighbors tell them.

So they were wrong about everything then. Europe did not band together against America, the US exited WW2 as the strongest power on Earth. USSR did indeed ally with PRC for a while, but the China they worried about in 1928 was the Kuomintang China. And the USSR/ PRC alliance eventually broke up, and now the USSR doesn't even exist anymore. And Mongolia is still a minor nation dancing to the pipes of what their stronger neighbors tell them.
the quote does refer to "russians"

you are being to focused on what has already factually occured. I was thinking of it in a context of the things that have been developing in recent years.

you took all the fun out of it. do you even know where the OP quote came from?

Part of the problem is who our "allies" were at the end of WWII. Patton and McArther both wrote about Russia and warned against involvement with them. Our country was very aware of communism in the middle of the 20th century and yet we let ourselves get drawn into a "peace" with Russia and China that never really existed. Diplomacy lured us to sleep and now we have problems that will be major problems as long as there is a USA.
I was thinking more of how this looks compared to more recent events rather than to find a literal link to hisorical events.

the quote does refer to "russians"

you are being to focused on what has already factually occured. I was thinking of it in a context of the things that have been developing in recent years.

you took all the fun out of it. do you even know where the OP quote came from?
No, but they referred to a second world war, which did happen, though not at all they way they envisioned it. And the quote is especially Russian Soviets, as in the USSR.

No, but they referred to a second world war, which did happen, though not at all they way they envisioned it. And the quote is especially Russian Soviets, as in the USSR.
they referred to another war, not necessarily what we call the second world war. WW2 certainly didn't match the rest of the description of that war.

im shocked that no one has googled for the source.

Back
Top Bottom