• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A possible Debate Politics Constitutional convention.[W:183]

Would you like to participate in a Debate Politics Constitutional Convention?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PirateMk1

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Ok Debate Politics Gals and Guys I got a wild hair up.... :thinking some..... were ...( Don't ask.).... (Really.)..... (You don't want to know.):eek:
Anywho...... I got this idea for maybe doing a Debate Politics constitutional convention and see what, or if, we can put a Constitution of our great United States together and then vote on it. So before I waste mine and others peoples time on something that goes nowhere I decided I should take a poll to see if this is something even worth pursuing. If the poll is affirmative on the subject I will then put together another Thread to discuss and vote on how best to organize said convention. I look forward to see how this pans out. So without further ado have at it and let the games begin. :popcorn2:

Re: A possible Debate Politics Constitutional convention.

Sounds like fun. I'm in! :)

Sure, this sounds like it could worthwhile.

Sure, this sounds like it could worthwhile.

Well if we get enough interested then I think we can make a real go of it.

I think it would be interesting to see what we could come up with considering how diverse the views are here and see how difficult something like that might or might not be to make AND get passed.

I don't really know how many people we should have on board to consider making a go of this "little" project. Anybody got an idea for a decent number of participants?

Well if we get enough interested then I think we can make a real go of it.

I think it would be interesting to see what we could come up with considering how diverse the views are here and see how difficult something like that might or might not be to make AND get passed.

Seconded.

I don't really know how many people we should have on board to consider making a go of this "little" project. Anybody got an idea for a decent number of participants?

Whoever votes yes and is interested in engaging. More hands and brains to carry the load.

Whoever votes yes and is interested in engaging. More hands and brains to carry the load.

I think we need a solid number to make it work. I am thinking a minimum of say 15 people or so. I know more is better, but with a minimum number we can know there will be a good amount of participation if the project is started at the minimum level of participation. I know 5 aint gona cut it. Too few. I am thinking 15 is too few too. But I am not sure. 20 perhaps?

I would suggest one initially based around the ideas retiring GOP Sen. Coburn wants to have.

Dr. Coburn gave up the final two years of his term, has cancer and is going back to Oklahoma to be with his family.

His constitutional convention has been a dream of mine since I came on here and I do have a thread but this new one should be great.

I will warn, however, that the resident constitutional experts will be all over this idea to try to crush it .

I think we need a solid number to make it work. I am thinking a minimum of say 15 people or so. I know more is better, but with a minimum number we can know there will be a good amount of participation if the project is started at the minimum level of participation. I know 5 aint gona cut it. Too few. I am thinking 15 is too few too. But I am not sure. 20 perhaps?

:shrug:

I suppose that depends on how far we want to take this concept.

I will participate.

I would suggest one initially based around the ideas retiring GOP Sen. Coburn wants to have.

Dr. Coburn gave up the final two years of his term, has cancer and is going back to Oklahoma to be with his family.

His constitutional convention has been a dream of mine since I came on here and I do have a thread but this new one should be great.

I will warn, however, that the resident constitutional experts will be all over this idea to try to crush it .

Gotcha. I am just interested myself in seeing what a diverse group like ours would come up with and agree upon, or to see if agreement on anything IS possible. We might all be surprised at what come up with. Or we might not. I hope the Constitutional experts would be interested in contributing their ideas to the construction of a new one or amendments, if only as a theoretical exercise.

This thread is basically to gauge how much interest there would be in such a project. The next thread should we have enough participants, I think should be one on how we should go about our convention and do a vote on the results of that conversation. Perhaps we do a limited one like you suggest or a full blown one I don't know but I think it we should discuss and then vote on whatever that might turn out to be. At least that's my idea. There may be some flaw that I haven't thought of, but the idea is to vote in stages on the project as it progresses to a final proposed constitution, or constitutions, or constitutional amendments as the case may turn out.

:shrug:

I suppose that depends on how far we want to take this concept.

That is why the initial thread to see what and how far people would like to do on the concept if anything. Lets face it, if there is minimal (5) participation I don't think it would be worth our time really. But if we get good (30) participation I think we could get good though lively debate and very interesting and perhaps (I hope) surprising results. So my question is what is the minimal amount of participation that would still produce good results, results being lively debate and interesting thoughts and exchanges and compromises. The real meat is going to be seeing where the compromises and what compromises happen. That's also where the fireworks will be.:mrgreen:

25-30 seems, to me, as a good minimum baseline.

Ok Debate Politics Gals and Guys I got a wild hair up.... :thinking some..... were ...( Don't ask.).... (Really.)..... (You don't want to know.):eek:
Anywho...... I got this idea for maybe doing a Debate Politics constitutional convention and see what, or if, we can put a Constitution of our great United States together and then vote on it. So before I waste mine and others peoples time on something that goes nowhere I decided I should take a poll to see if this is something even worth pursuing. If the poll is affirmative on the subject I will then put together another Thread to discuss and vote on how best to organize said convention. I look forward to see how this pans out. So without further ado have at it and let the games begin. :popcorn2:

I think that is an interesting Idea, if the audience is balanced.

...we can put a Constitution of our great United States together and then vote on it.

It is unclear, you want to amend the Constitution or write a new one?

Sounds intriguing, so count me in.

It is unclear, you want to amend the Constitution or write a new one?

That would be one of the things we would have to decide, whether to amend or do a whole new constitution.

I think that is an interesting Idea, if the audience is balanced.

I don't know if its going to be balanced as you say, but I do know that for it work people are going to have to figure out a list of what they are willing to compromise on like any negotiation. It should be fairly interesting regardless provided the numbers are there to make the project work.

For sure. Im down. Ill try not to **** the whole thing up

I don't know if its going to be balanced as you say, but I do know that for it work people are going to have to figure out a list of what they are willing to compromise on like any negotiation. It should be fairly interesting regardless provided the numbers are there to make the project work.

One thing seems clear. A constitution must be relatively short and basic.

That would be one of the things we would have to decide, whether to amend or do a whole new constitution.

I put my name in the hat. Seems that to determine the breadth of the convention: possible amendments or a general re-write nearly requires an additional thread. Imo, there's no need for a new constitution, instead the focus should be definitional, as that's where many of the current disagreements lie. As examples, what does the Constitution mean when it says commerce, general welfare, and who/what is eligible for rights? And the method needs to be republican, as opposed to democratic.

I put my name in the hat. Seems that to determine the breadth of the convention: possible amendments or a general re-write nearly requires an additional thread. Imo, there's no need for a new constitution, instead the focus should be definitional, as that's where many of the current disagreements lie. As examples, what does the Constitution mean when it says commerce, general welfare, and who/what is eligible for rights? And the method needs to be republican, as opposed to democratic.

Have you drawn the first line in the sand--expressing the method be republican versus democratic? You do remember the first political party until people were allowed to vote after Monroe--Democratic/Republicans? It's as I warned earlier--my ways or the highways will show up .

Back
Top Bottom