• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A once-in-a-lifetime star explosion is coming (1 Viewer)

I really hope I get to live to 120ish years old. I missed the aurora borealis and this is something I don't want to miss. Once every eighty years.

You don't need to wait ~120 years, you can see a nova this year in 2024.

Sometime between now and September 2024 the star T Coronae Borealis (T CrB) will nova. This nova occurs every 80 years and will have the same apparent brightness as Polaris, the current north star.

You don't need to wait ~120 years, you can see a nova this year in 2024.

Sometime between now and September 2024 the star T Coronae Borealis (T CrB) will nova. This nova occurs every 80 years and will have the same apparent brightness as Polaris, the current north star.

How does a star nova several times? I assume this nova is different from a Super-Nova.

How does a star nova several times? I assume this nova is different from a Super-Nova.
Nova are able to deflagrate several times because they do not completely blow themselves apart when they ignite. They typically involve binary pairs, with a white dwarf and another less massive star entering its red giant phase. The two stars are in such close proximity that the less massive expanding star is transferring mass to the white dwarf.

Since the white dwarf consists of degenerate matter the hydrogen that is being accreted from its companion is unable to expand, even though its temperature increases. When the accretion disk around the white dwarf reaches ~20 million degrees Kelvin a CNO Cycle occurs on the surface of the white dwarf and a nova results.

Novas are thousands of times brighter than the originating star, and they do eject mass similar to supernova. However, only a very small amount of mass is involved - The mass that was originally accumulated and not consumed during the deflagration. The mass ejected was much smaller than the white dwarf itself. Which is why the white dwarf remains intact and able to deflagrate several times.

Supernova (particularly Type Ia) are millions of times brighter, and eject much more mass when they deflagrate. Supernova are only able to deflagrate once.

There are also supernova that are half-way between a nova and a Type Ia supernova. Meaning they only partially blow themselves apart. They are relatively new, only being first classified in 2013. They are called Type Iax supernova. Type Iax supernova have the exact same light curve as Type Ia supernova, only Type Ia supernova have an absolute magnitude of -19.2, and Type Iax supernova are much dimmer with an absolute magnitude ranging between -14.2 and -18.9.

At least a small portion of the white dwarf is left behind after a Type Iax supernova, which is why it is much dimmer than Type Ia supernova.

Type Iax Supernovae: A New Class of Stellar Explosion* - The Astrophysical Journal, Volume 767, Number 1, 2013 (open access)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom